Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:30 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,157,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
No one said anything about trying to keep a kid in a bubble. However, you would not intentionally expose your kid to a kid who is SO SICK that they CAN'T GO TO SCHOOL, would you? Do you understand that those are the kids who have to stay home and who are at home during the in-home day care? They are the ones too sick to go to elementary school either sick on their own or the school won't allow it. Get it?
In our state, you can no more have other people's sick kids in your home day care than you can your own. It is against the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 12:27 PM

84 posts, read 180,854 times
I want to thank everybody for giving their thoughts on this question. Thank you. So far, so good. My little girl seems to like the group already and the group seems to like her. The owner keeps saying we are all one big happy family and I am to keep her informed on changes or if my child will not be in that day. This morning they were having blue berry pancakes. This morning my wife walked into the day care and one of the kids lifted up his head, looked at her and said, "look, it is Emily's mom". Which the rest of the group all went WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!. It was great.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:12 PM

685 posts, read 1,102,541 times
I only went to look at in-home daycares in my area and they all left a lot to be desired. I ended up not needing one anyway since I am still home with my LO. I would find out who comes in and out of the home, you say her husband will be there too? Also, what is the size of the area the kids will be in? The ones I visited literally had rooms a little bigger then my living room with 8 or so kids of all ages, my DD almost got trampled on by a 5 year old lol, crammed in with 0 room to play. Am I going to pay to have my child couped up in one room all day? I don't think so. I would get references and check all of them, though people can just give you fake ones. Make sure they are licensed.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:57 AM

919 posts, read 1,686,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
I only went to look at in-home daycares in my area and they all left
a lot to be desired. I ended up not needing one anyway since I am still home with my LO. I would find out who comes in and out of the home, you say her husband will be there too? Also, what is the size of the area the kids will be in? The ones I visited literally had rooms a little bigger then my living room with 8 or so kids of all ages, my DD almost got trampled on by a 5 year old lol, crammed in with 0 room to play. Am I going to pay to have my child couped up in one room all day? I don't think so. I would get references and check all of them, though people can just give you fake ones. Make sure they are licensed.
By law all at home daycare facilities MUST have their license visibly posted.
Also the reason why many of the daycare centers are small is because size is nearly irrelevant, if you have 1 bathroom you can have 12 children so long as the space is x amount of feet.

Also, i am not sure about that daycare but the one I work at is structured so a lot of the time is group activities which there is enough room for, the rest of the day is spent taking walks, feeding ducks and taking trips

Old 06-27-2013, 02:46 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,157,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
By law all at home daycare facilities MUST have their license visibly posted.

It is important to realize that the laws differ by state.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:00 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,157,524 times
We've tried both. My kids (2 and 3.5) have been in their daycare center for almost two years now and we all love it. I believe they learn a lot more both from structured learning/playing and from interacting with other children. I can rely on them to be there. And I fully credit them for potty training my oldest.

My experience with in-home was hit and miss. We tried two different homes. I yanked my oldest (8 mos. at the time) out one day when I arrived early to discover the lady I hired wasn't there. She had left her 17 year old son in charge. My daughter was crawling around by herself in a dirty diaper while the teen was playing video games.

The next in-home lady we had was really good with the kids and she cooked fantastic meals for them but I could never rely on her. If one of her kids was sick, she'd call me at 7:00 in the morning and tell me she couldn't work. I had an hour to find other arrangements before I had to be to work. That happened more times than it should have. Then when my kids were actually under her care, she'd call me and say I'd have to pick them up at xyz location across town because she was running errands, or her kid had practice, etc. etc. She even made us pick our kids up early on several occasions. Excuse me but I'm paying you to watch my kids. I can't run errands around town while I'm working. In addition, I didn't think my kids were getting the social interaction they would need as they got older.

I know my kids' center is open from 7:30-5:30 Mon-Fri with the exception of scheduled holidays which I'm notified of in advance. For me, it's worth the extra cost for a center.

ETA: I just read another post and it reminded me of an in-home provided I visited and quickly ruled out. I scoped the place out before hand on Google Earth and thought it looked like a very nice house. I get there and it was a very nice house. Inside and out. I found out the reason it was so nice inside was because they shut all the kids (ranging from 2y.o-8) in one room with a plastic slide so they wouldn't disturb the rest of the house.

Last edited by Vegabern; 06-27-2013 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: ETA

Old 06-27-2013, 04:13 PM

[quote=somebodynew;30223265]It is important to realize that the laws differ by state.[/QUOTE

I know, I forgot to write in my state but that is whqt i meant

Old 06-27-2013, 04:19 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,068,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFather View Post
Since my wife and I have no family support, we are forced to send our children to day care.
You have to adjust your lifestyle so that both of you do not have to work. Whether that is to move to a smaller house in a smaller town, or give up a vehicle or have one person work days and the other person work nights, whatever it takes. You do your children a huge injustice by not raising them yourself and letting strangers do it. When you were a child would you rather have been raised by paid strangers who do not care and certainly do not LOVE you, or a loving, caring, nurturing mother? Why would you do less for your child than you would do for yourself.

Change your life, man. Don't put your kids through that kind of hell.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-27-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You have to adjust your lifestyle so that both of you do not have to work. Whether that is to move to a smaller house in a smaller town, or give up a vehicle or have one person work days and the other person work nights, whatever it takes. You do your children a huge injustice by not raising them yourself and letting strangers do it. When you were a child would you rather have been raised by paid strangers who do not care and certainly do not LOVE you, or a loving, caring, nurturing mother? Why would you do less for your child than you would do for yourself.

Change your life, man. Don't put your kids through that kind of hell.

20yrsinBranson
Are you serious?! There is nothing wrong with putting your child in day care most families do not have the luxury of dropping everything to stay home work their kids until they start school OP is being responsible and researching this is not what OP was asking for.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:08 PM

685 posts, read 1,102,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
We've tried both. My kids (2 and 3.5) have been in their daycare center for almost two years now and we all love it. I believe they learn a lot more both from structured learning/playing and from interacting with other children. I can rely on them to be there. And I fully credit them for potty training my oldest.

My experience with in-home was hit and miss. We tried two different homes. I yanked my oldest (8 mos. at the time) out one day when I arrived early to discover the lady I hired wasn't there. She had left her 17 year old son in charge. My daughter was crawling around by herself in a dirty diaper while the teen was playing video games.

The next in-home lady we had was really good with the kids and she cooked fantastic meals for them but I could never rely on her. If one of her kids was sick, she'd call me at 7:00 in the morning and tell me she couldn't work. I had an hour to find other arrangements before I had to be to work. That happened more times than it should have. Then when my kids were actually under her care, she'd call me and say I'd have to pick them up at xyz location across town because she was running errands, or her kid had practice, etc. etc. She even made us pick our kids up early on several occasions. Excuse me but I'm paying you to watch my kids. I can't run errands around town while I'm working. In addition, I didn't think my kids were getting the social interaction they would need as they got older.

I know my kids' center is open from 7:30-5:30 Mon-Fri with the exception of scheduled holidays which I'm notified of in advance. For me, it's worth the extra cost for a center.

ETA: I just read another post and it reminded me of an in-home provided I visited and quickly ruled out. I scoped the place out before hand on Google Earth and thought it looked like a very nice house. I get there and it was a very nice house. Inside and out. I found out the reason it was so nice inside was because they shut all the kids (ranging from 2y.o-8) in one room with a plastic slide so they wouldn't disturb the rest of the house.
That is EXACTLY how both places were that I visited. The smallest one had 6 kids that day with 4 adults sitting on the floor on top of one another, where you had to literally walk over them. The floor was covered with toys, older kids knocking over that babies bc it was so small and cluttered. The other place had one room with sliding glass doors to a yard with a gigantic pool taking up the entire backyard and then a Fisher Price play set thing. She was going on and on about all the open space she has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting