U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,433,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When my kids were little, our local "Y" had a teen job service. If you were looking for a babysitter, you could post with them.

I am clueless as to going rates these days. People do seem far more willing to pay a teen decent money to mow the lawn than to babysit the kids. The situation of a day care mom is different than occasional babysitting. Most day care moms have more than one kid in their charge, so they don't need to charge as much per hour. $10/hr is a good chunk of many people's paycheck.
This daycare doesnt have any kids ATM, she's still getting started (she comes to my house to babysit). Even when I used care.com i paid 10-15/hr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:11 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,225,827 times
When I was a babysitter I only got a fiver or a tenner for the whole evening - no hourly rates for tightfisted Brits

Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 AM

16,488 posts, read 15,923,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
College students are great.

And, despite what you think, so are many high school students. The Red Cross has a really great babysitting course that teaches teens what to do in the event of an emergency, et al. I'd call your local college or high school and see who they might recommend.
I agree that the Red Cross has a great course, although you still have to verify the references, experience, etc of each girl. When my children were younger our public library kept a file of girls who had taken the Red Cross babysitting class. I checked it out and was shocked to see that one of my cognitively disabled students (an 11 year old sixth grader) was listed as having taken the class and was available to babysit.

As her teacher, I didn't even feel that she was mature enough to safely spend more than a couple of hours home alone caring for herself and I didn't feel that she could safely care for another child. I discussed this with her mother and she agreed to remove her daughter's name from the list "until she was older".

I'm not saying this to scare anyone but just to let you know that it is very important to thoroughly check out anyone who you select to care for your children.

We always tried out first time sitters by having them care for our children for a few hours while we were home. That way they can ask any questions and we could see how they related to our children.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:32 AM

84,976 posts, read 98,814,535 times
I am shocked that the library kept such a list open to the public!

Our church used to keep a list of names, then decided that was not a good idea. I believe they felt there was some sort of liability involved. The "Y" did not give out names, the person looking for a sitter had to post the job available, and a teen would call the poster.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:33 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,231,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree that the Red Cross has a great course, although you still have to verify the references, experience, etc of each girl.

This struck me. Do we assume that only girls babysit?

Old 06-25-2013, 11:42 AM

4,743 posts, read 3,576,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I wouldn't hire a boy babysitter

personally.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:45 AM

16,488 posts, read 15,923,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree that the Red Cross has a great course, although you still have to verify the references, experience, etc of each girl. ...
Quote:
Oops, my mistake. Although, in my area, babysitting is still about 95% (or more) female vs. male.

Teen boys are able to get more manual labor and physical type jobs such as lawn moving, helping with "fix-up" and "clean-up" projects, carrying heavy objects, painter, farming & construction "helpers", etc. In my area, manual labor gigs/jobs for teens are generally 90% or 95% male. BTW many of those "gigs" pay more and are more regular than babysitting jobs.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 PM

84,976 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:
I could never get any boys to babysit. Back in the early, early days of my parenting (late 80s), I had some lists from a babysitting co-op I belonged to, which included some boys. None of them were ever interested.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:02 PM

15,290 posts, read 16,839,007 times
My ds babysat, but not many boys did and I think parents are even less likely to hire a boy now because they tend to stereotype boys. The best babysitters my kids had were boys because they played actively with the kids and for my son, having someone who would play sports things with him was great.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:47 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,438,760 times
I would look at Angie's List, High school counselor (they know who should NOT be watching other people's kids) or network with your friends. If you are going out with friends, see if their babysitter is interested in doubling up for more $ per hour. That worked out well for us for a number of times. Check your place of worship too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting