Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 06:59 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,358 times

Advertisements

I skipped the toddler bed with my 3 kids as well. They went straight from the crib into a full or queen sized mattress so that I could lay down with them and read stories at night. As long as you get a high quality waterproof mattress cover, I would go with a higher quality mattress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:00 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
My dd (will be 2 in Sept) is ready for a bed. Is a toddler bed even worth it?? I've been thinking about it and I feel like she'll out grow it within a year, the toddler beds are cheaply made (at least at walmart) and I dont see the point in spending all that money when I can buy a twin size bed, invest in the railings & get her a step stool.

Opinions?
we went with a Twin bed with the trundle from Room and Board. The primary driver was
1) sleep overs in the future
2) let him decide lower or higher (he likes lower now at 3.3 years old)

I'm thinking it will last us a long time. . .and we do LOVE Room and Board. Not cheaply made at all...though personally I love Wal-Mart, I would never buy furniture there (book case hell one time).

Note: picture from Room and Board, my kids bedroom not this cool. Also, a few times after A. was born. . .I slept in the twin bed. . .and it was nice and comfortable. Great mattress/quality

Old 06-25-2013, 08:13 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,611 times
We went with this, 7yr old up top, 2yr on bottom.

Attachment 113045

Old 06-26-2013, 02:15 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
We went with this, 7yr old up top, 2yr on bottom.

Attachment 113045
This is an awesome set! I love the stairs.

My son and I had a very simple loft bed set. We bought the floor model, which did not come with dresser. He had to use the old ladder/steps. He might have kept the bed high if his had had the stairs.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:04 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,200 times
We have a convertible crib, so it's now a toddler bed. Once new DD arrives though, older DD will be getting a twin bed.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:02 PM

264 posts, read 606,069 times
Yes, in hindsight a toddler bed seems like a waste of money - However, it served two important purposes for us:
It was the best fit for our toddler, who, er..craved independence, wanting to get in and out of bed on his own, and it was an exciting process picking out the bed and getting used to sleeping in his own bed and room. Also we were short on space and a twin bed wouldn't have fit in that small room. Didn't spend a whole lot on it, and he used it for about a year and a half.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
We went the toddler bed route just because of space issues otherwise we would have gone right to the twin bed. When they are first learning to sleep in a bed, take one of those pool noodles (the foam tubes used to swim with), put it on the edge of the bed under the sheet and mattress pad. It's easy to make the bed around and get in and out as needed but enough of a stop so they don't fall out.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:54 AM

340 posts, read 523,758 times
Ours went straight into a single bed after the crib. I remember occasionally waking to the sound a dull thump, and finding newly transferred (single bed child) laying on floor beside their bed. Thick homemade quilts helped pad their roll-outs.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:42 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Why not both?

Corvette® Toddler to Twin Bed with Lights

Old 08-06-2013, 03:44 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
My dd (will be 2 in Sept) is ready for a bed. Is a toddler bed even worth it?? I've been thinking about it and I feel like she'll out grow it within a year, the toddler beds are cheaply made (at least at walmart) and I dont see the point in spending all that money when I can buy a twin size bed, invest in the railings & get her a step stool.

Opinions?
Depends on the kid.

My daughter was very attached to her comforter/bedding and preferred a more "cozy" type bed. So when it was time to switch to a bed, using a toddler bed made things a little smoother.

My other kids all switched much easier and right to twin beds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting