Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 AM

741 posts, read 1,287,877 times

Advertisements

1. It might be time to put him in his big boy bed, a family bed has to be working for both the mother and father. That's a mutual choice.
2. 3 year olds can not be spoiled by hugs and pats on the back, they need that to feel secure and grounded in the big world they are discovering.
3. If your husband is trying to force "rough and tumble" play on your son and he's reacting negatively, then your husband is using an approach that will only drive a wedge between them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 12:52 PM

677 posts, read 1,193,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Hugging and kissing your son? Wretch. How do you expect him to grow into a cold, emotionally-repressed all-American man if you keep nurturing him and showing him how much is he loved and valued?

I had one of these unloved and subsequently unloving, cold, and distant fathers. He failed in many ways.

Hug him, squeeze him, kiss his boo-boos, etc etc. Won't harm him in the least. The real way to damage a kid is with emotional suppression (might want to have this explained to Dad), over-sheltering, or doing for him what he's capable of.
Mothers are here to nurture the kids. Two people babying him is too much.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:23 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
Mothers are here to nurture the kids. Two people babying him is too much.
So, skating for a while with this promotion of gender roles in parenting, would you also say that "Fathers are there to discipline their kids. Two parents disciplining them is too much"? Jc...

Old 07-08-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
So, skating for a while with this promotion of gender roles in parenting, would you also say that "Fathers are there to discipline their kids. Two parents disciplining them is too much"? Jc...
Yes, it was always the father's role, a good beating.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, it was always the father's role, a good beating.
Screw that. I couldn't be with a woman who didn't help with the discipline, and quite frankly, I would commend any woman who said the same about men and the show of affection to their child.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:45 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,940,539 times
I never considered affection something to ration out. It's always been spontaneous and frequent when it comes to my kids. I would hate to fight the urge to hug, kiss, etc. because I already did it a few hours back. Cuddling a small child you love is the sweetest feeling in the world.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I never considered affection something to ration out. It's always been spontaneous and frequent when it comes to my kids. I would hate to fight the urge to hug, kiss, etc. because I already did it a few hours back. Cuddling a small child you love is the sweetest feeling in the world.
Men in the past managed very well without it. I tried to hug my grandfather as a kid one day. He didn't say anything but his blue eyes turned ice cold. There's a fine line of respect that shouldn't be crossed.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:10 PM

63 posts, read 63,059 times
If you can, I plan to be. A child is your walking heart. How can you not love up on them?

Old 07-08-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Men in the past managed very well without it. I tried to hug my grandfather as a kid one day. He didn't say anything but his blue eyes turned ice cold.
Umm, why?

Quote:
There's a fine line of respect that shouldn't be crossed.
How does this cross a "line of respect", for a kid to want to hug his grandfather? No offense, but you're not making any sense at all.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
a good beating.
There is no such thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting