Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 03:35 AM

6,417 posts, read 7,238,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Just put her on the potty for a bit with a schedule of times during the day. She doesn't have to go. She can throw paper in and flush. Let her just get used to it. One day she will shock you. Good luck.
I've tried but she won't sit on it (not even with bribery), she just seems to be scared of it. I don't really know how to make her less scared of it (I don't even understand why she's scared of it, she sat on a potty and wee'd a few times last summer at her dad's)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 07:05 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,580,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
It seems that everyone is in such a rush to do this. It should be natural---when they are ready. Don't push it and get stressed out. My daughter was ready just before she turned 3. One day she just decided to do it and never had an accident. It was great.
Same here. I did almost nothing other than buy a small potty. My son did it on his own just after he turned 2. But there were occasional accidents, especially at first.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:33 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,812,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I've tried but she won't sit on it (not even with bribery), she just seems to be scared of it. I don't really know how to make her less scared of it (I don't even understand why she's scared of it, she sat on a potty and wee'd a few times last summer at her dad's)
Did you try putting the potty in front of the tv? Sometimes distraction while they sit does it. Lol
Trust me keep trying. Eventually she will get it. Some parents do sticker charts. This is also done with children to have the incentive not to go in their pants.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,633,697 times
Quote:
How do you know when they're ready and how do you go about doing it?
You can introduce the idea of it at first. Or if you notice she's dry all night or for hours, that means she may have control over her bladder and know the sensation of having to go.

You also have to make sure it's a time that you're ready and relaxed, a calm time without a whole ot planned as far as trips, visitors, activities so that training isn't interrupted or stressful.

When she wakes up, ask her if she wants to try to use the bathroom, don't put too much pressure on her but ask. At various times of the day just ask her, the idea will get planted and when you're getting her ready for a bath is a very good time to have her sit on the toilet.

Letting her help pick out new undies might get her buying into the idea of being potty trained, and all kinds of praise for at least trying, even if you don't think she really tried. Just having her sit there will help make it familiar and less stressful, and praising her for trying will give positive reinforcement.

The problem with potty training is that their are two actions needed -- hold it and release. Sometimes they get the hold it part but cannot release on command. This is true of both No 1 and No 2, so it takes a certain relaxation about the whole process.

If you do it right, and when she's ready, it will be pretty easy and no bedwetting at night. Very often a couple successes and they're on their way.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 AM

Don't have a tv unfortunately.
She's occasionally dry all night, and often dry for hours at a time so I think her bladder control is developed enough but after looking at that check list I don't think she's mentally capable yet. I'll just have to wait I guess.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:38 AM

511 posts, read 837,140 times
I let my kids set the pace and training was basically pain-free. Yes, they regularly pooped in their pullups till they were well over 3 (though were 14+ weeks early) and in fact were not reliably pee trained till past 3 but one day, they started pooping in the potty and that was that. There was no power struggle. They are almost 4 now and night time will go according to their biological ability to keep it in at night. It's not something you can really train your child to do - it's a function of vasopressin production. Sometimes they wake up dry and sometimes they don't.

Letting them be in charge of their "elimination venue" has been a wise decision for our family.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,380,617 times
I have a 2 1/2 year old, and finally potty training is starting to stick. I tried when she was 2, and then stopped because she just was not ready. I was advised by her day care, and her pediatrician, not to force it, and just wait and try in a few more months. What finally worked for my dd, is promising her a cup cake party. I bought cake mix, frosting, balloons and party hats and put them on our kitchen counter. She kept asking to have them, but we told her we would have the party once she went 2 whole days with going pee on the potty. Well, that did it.

Before that, promises of candy, sticker charts etc, nothing worked. The cup cake party, now that was the ticket for us.

Its only been 2 1/2 weeks, and she still has occasional accidents. She still has trouble remembering to poop in the potty all the time, but from what I understand, that is hard for a lot of kids.

On a side note, I was in the grocery store with her on Sunday. She was allowed to get one of those small packs of goldfish, and we were talking about who she was going to share them with. an older gentleman was walking near us and was amused by our conversation, and he asked my dd if he could have one. she thought about it, and then told him that he could have one if he peed on the potty. I nearly died laughing.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:17 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,756,482 times
My oldest son was 3.5 years old when he was finally potty trained and it was a struggle of epic proportions. My middle son was 2.5 and just decided one day that he was using the potty and that was that and never had an accident. My youngest, currently almost 3.5 will pee in the potty with no probelm, and just tells us he is going and he does. The problem is the poop. He seems very protective of it. He will only poop when he is in for his nap and in bed for the night. We try to get him to go before both, but he just won't and saves it for sleep time. Every morning he wakes up with a poop and poops as soon as we put him up for a nap even after a long time sitting on the potty right before. We have bribed him with a trip to Disney if he stops doing and still just won't. He wears underwear when we are home and most of the time when we are out, but I don't want to have him sleep all night with a mess if we leave him in his underwear at night, so we use a pull up and he seems to go while he is sleeping. he has no problem messing his underwear during naptime.

So frustrating.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I have a 2 1/2 year old, and finally potty training is starting to stick. I tried when she was 2, and then stopped because she just was not ready. I was advised by her day care, and her pediatrician, not to force it, and just wait and try in a few more months. What finally worked for my dd, is promising her a cup cake party. I bought cake mix, frosting, balloons and party hats and put them on our kitchen counter. She kept asking to have them, but we told her we would have the party once she went 2 whole days with going pee on the potty. Well, that did it.

Before that, promises of candy, sticker charts etc, nothing worked. The cup cake party, now that was the ticket for us.

Its only been 2 1/2 weeks, and she still has occasional accidents. She still has trouble remembering to poop in the potty all the time, but from what I understand, that is hard for a lot of kids.

On a side note, I was in the grocery store with her on Sunday. She was allowed to get one of those small packs of goldfish, and we were talking about who she was going to share them with. an older gentleman was walking near us and was amused by our conversation, and he asked my dd if he could have one. she thought about it, and then told him that he could have one if he peed on the potty. I nearly died laughing.
Hilarious!!!

Old 07-02-2013, 02:20 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,421,002 times
Quote:
How do you know when they're ready and how do you go about doing it?
Many answers. To both questions.

I myself am having some success with putting a page full of squares on her bedroom wall and giving her a sticker to put in each square upon successful potty use. Some of the squares are colored and when she reaches them (on average after every 6 stickers) she receives a surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting