Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 12:08 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times

Advertisements

Need potty training tips for the "random" toddler.

My almost 2.5 year old daughter really doesn't fit into the textbook potty training readiness categories. She announces after the fact that she's pooped, but never before. She never lets anyone know that she pees..she just goes. She doesn't stay dry for stretches at a time and never wakes up after nap dry. She doesn't have a defined elimination schedule, which is in keeping with her nature -- random, unlike her sister who was pretty routine/structured. She's never been in daycare, whereas her sister was in daycare for three years of her life. Since our eldest was in her home during the day, the daycare lady handled all of the training and we just reinforced what she started on our end. Kali was 2.5 when she started training and was basically trained in under a month.

That is why we're somewhat at a loss about when to start and HOW because we didn't do it with the first one, unfortunately. We've done research, but can't quite say that our youngest isn't ready just yet. She does know what "potty" means and likes to sit on it (not more than two minutes though). At 18 months, she did actually pee in the potty. But that's about it. Maybe we missed our "magic window" when she did do it then.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 06:20 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Your daughter sounds like my son. He did the same thing - announced pee/poo after the fact.

Every kid is different, but what my son (shortly after the 2.5 year mark) did was one day he came to me and said he pooed. I was to just take him to the changing table, but I took a peek down in his diaper first and he hadn't actually pooed yet. Stuck him on the potty immediately and I think that sort of made it "click" for him. Then the training really started. For the record, he got #1 down pretty quick. #2 wasn't really sorted out for about 2 more months after that.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:58 PM

10 posts, read 18,661 times
well i did start toilet training my daughter in pullups but i found they are just like nappies and it didnt encourage her to do anything. so i put her straight on to knickers . she had a few accidents but she learnt quick. basically they have to learn to sit on the toilet first and get use to opening their bowels. that takes time but they soon do it. normally it doesnt take long if u sit them on the toilet every 20 minutes. thats just to start them off. make it fun for them while they are sitting on the toilet . i sang songs for my daughter when she was toilet training doing wees. i encouraged my daughter to do wees by stickers and offereing a small chocolate but it took more then that to get her to wee. she was a hard child to train. she was wee trained in 5 weeks after alot of hard work and because she wouldnt sit on the toilet byherself and was holding it in so i had to hold her on and make her do one it was jsut about every day until 2 weeks ago she just hoped on the toilet and did one herself.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:18 PM

741 posts, read 1,288,361 times
My 15 month old toddles into the bathroom with me as I go, holds my toilet paper for me, watches me flush and waves bye-bye to the water as it swirls away. I'm hoping this is a good start, she's not ready to train yet, but at least she's observing me.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:51 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,698 times
Like what's already been said - 'they know when they know'.

Keep the conversation going with your child - ask if they need to poop, pee, if they want to sit on a toilet etc. when you see the signs that they need to. Also, ask even when they don't show any signs (you will be asking a lot...). If they constantly say no, don't worry about asking and just tell them 'lets sit on the toilet for a few minutes' (don't give them the option) so they become comfortable with the toilet. Talk to them when they are on the toilet - about anything, really - and interject 'need to go?' every so often so they are aware of where they are at. Reinforce the idea that we do that business in toilets and diapers are for when we 'forget' (or whatever...).

Well that's how I went about it

Old 11-14-2013, 02:09 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,724 times
My grandsons doing well with his potty training but it's the wiping he doesn't get, you'd think he was buying the toilet paper himself , pulls off one square...and flushing not fun anymore

Old 01-21-2014, 09:25 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,655 times
My daughters all did the same thing. One day they were watching other kids using the toilet, figured out what is was they were doing, then never used diapers again. Both were 1-1/2 or so at the time.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:01 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,573,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Hmm going by that readiness check list my daughter is definitely not ready. She's nearly two and a half and I was hoping to get it done this summer when its warm enough to go without bottoms on but she still won't go anywhere near the potty. Not sure if she knows when she is going to go poop but she does tell me afterwards and asks me to change the nappy (unless she's really distracted, then she doesn't seem to notice)
Natsku, just wondering if you have completed potty training for your daughter yet. I see yours is an year older than mine. I started it yesterday and any tips would be great.
At this point, I am taking her (or her daycare provider when she is there) to the toddler potty seat every hour or so. So far no luck. During her nap times we put a pull-up and she goes then.

She tells me when she went potty in her diaper (not before, but after she went). But the pee-pee, she doesnt tell me. My DD's exact age is 2 years and 4 months.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:18 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
Natsku, just wondering if you have completed potty training for your daughter yet. I see yours is an year older than mine. I started it yesterday and any tips would be great.
At this point, I am taking her (or her daycare provider when she is there) to the toddler potty seat every hour or so. So far no luck. During her nap times we put a pull-up and she goes then.

She tells me when she went potty in her diaper (not before, but after she went). But the pee-pee, she doesnt tell me. My DD's exact age is 2 years and 4 months.
No I haven't, she still won't use the potty. She's the only child in daycare still in nappies

Old 04-16-2014, 09:20 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,573,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
No I haven't, she still won't use the potty. She's the only child in daycare still in nappies
Are you still trying to train her or taking a break for now? The reason I ask is, it would be nice to have someone here on board to discuss how our daily 'training' went on .
I just started yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting