Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 05:03 PM

28 posts, read 45,137 times

Advertisements

The deaths of three young children in hot vehicles on Friday (July 5) in separate incidents in Virginia, Maryland and Louisiana raises the death toll to 19 in the deadliest day for such incidents this year.

Tragic death toll from children left in hot vehicles rises to 19

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 05:07 PM

1,271 posts, read 1,327,994 times
I do not understand what is going through people's heads...How tragic!

Old 07-06-2013, 05:09 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,524,996 times
We had another interesting thread on this topic that is well worth reading:

Children left alone in cars

Old 07-06-2013, 07:53 PM

88,224 posts, read 84,144,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
We had another interesting thread on this topic that is well worth reading:

Children left alone in cars
I second that. It was a fascinating thread. The first time I heard of this happening, I was so angry. My daughter was very young, and it happened in the NY metro region, where I live, and I wondered how someone could possibly be that stupid as to have forgotten to drop his child off at daycare.

But when this thread came out last year and I read all the articles, especially Lynn Balfour's story, I realized how easily it could happen.

I'm not talking about people who left their kid in the car because they were drunk or high. Just ordinary parents with busy lives who made a terrible mistake when distracted or had an interruption to their normal routine.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:10 PM

1,271 posts, read 1,327,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I second that. It was a fascinating thread. The first time I heard of this happening, I was so angry. My daughter was very young, and it happened in the NY metro region, where I live, and I wondered how someone could possibly be that stupid as to have forgotten to drop his child off at daycare.

But when this thread came out last year and I read all the articles, especially Lynn Balfour's story, I realized how easily it could happen.

I'm not talking about people who left their kid in the car because they were drunk or high. Just ordinary parents with busy lives who made a terrible mistake when distracted or had an interruption to their normal routine.

It is a heartbreaking story...BUT...there is something REALLY REALLY wrong with our lives if we are that distracted while taking our babies anywhere. Perhaps it's time to slow down and THINK. I am so grateful that this has not touched our lives, or any of our family or friends. And my heart breaks for each and every one of those babies. Not the parent who left them in the car. They can suffer.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:33 PM

88,224 posts, read 84,144,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
It is a heartbreaking story...BUT...there is something REALLY REALLY wrong with our lives if we are that distracted while taking our babies anywhere. Perhaps it's time to slow down and THINK. I am so grateful that this has not touched our lives, or any of our family or friends. And my heart breaks for each and every one of those babies. Not the parent who left them in the car. They can suffer.
I don't disagree with the bolded. There is something wrong. People are under constant pressure, and we are ruled by clocks.

But my heart also breaks for the parent who inadvertently killed a child they loved more than anything else in the world and can't ever change that.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:33 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,661,722 times
My best friend is a together chick, smart, organized, etc. So is her husband.

Well her husband went away for three days during the week of finals (we teach at the same school). She normally dropped her daughter off in the mornings and her husband picked her up. Well she forgot her daughter. At 5:30 I was walking by her room (we had both been grading) and asked her who picked up the baby. She looked panic stricken. Her cell had been ringing but it was in her purse in her desk, and the secretary had left for the day so no one was answering those calls.

The people at the daycare weren't even mad, just concerned. Apparently, people tend to forget things whenever the schedule changes and they expect it.

So really, it is easy to say you would never make such a horrible mistake. But I know a new schedule, something weighing on your mind, and a handful of other things can make such a mistake possible. Maybe just take these things as a warning to be more careful in your own life.

I have deep sympathy for any parent who loses a child, especially over such a heart breaking MISTAKE.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:38 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,440,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

Well her husband went away for three days during the week of finals (we teach at the same school). She normally dropped her daughter off in the mornings and her husband picked her up. Well she forgot her daughter. At 5:30 I was walking by her room (we had both been grading) and asked her who picked up the baby. She looked panic stricken. Her cell had been ringing but it was in her purse in her desk, and the secretary had left for the day so no one was answering those calls.

The people at the daycare weren't even mad, just concerned. Apparently, people tend to forget things whenever the schedule changes and they expect it.

So really, it is easy to say you would never make such a horrible mistake. But I know a new schedule, something weighing on your mind, and a handful of other things can make such a mistake possible. Maybe just take these things as a warning to be more careful in your own life.

I have deep sympathy for any parent who loses a child, especially over such a heart breaking MISTAKE.
What happened to your friends' baby???????????????

Old 07-07-2013, 07:39 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,406,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

But she left her baby at a child care facility. How about leaving your child in a hot car and forgetting about them. That just makes no sense at all. Small children have been left in hot cars while mom has been inside a Wall-mart shopping. Just the idea that you can leave your children alone in the car in the first place is unimaginable. Let alone on a hot summer day.

When you leave your child at a baby sitter, back in your mind, you know your child is in a safe place Therefor I can see how other things can distract you. However, I cannot understand how leaving your child alone in a hot car for any amount of time is ever ok. And these are parents who go shopping!

One time when my son was only about 2 months old I locked him inside the house by mistake. I was stuck on the outside, while he was inside laying on a blanket screaming. I panicked. I was wearing a tank-top and underwear so it was not like I could run to the neighbor and borrow a phone to call my husband. Well, I probably could but I was too worried about leaving my baby alone. So I pick up a brick and smash the bathroom window and climb inside. I did cut myself pretty good but somehow it didn't bother me. I was so relived to finally get to hold my son again. Was I overeating, probably...

So leaving a child in a dangerous place and walk away and forget about it, it does not make any sense at all.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 07-07-2013 at 07:51 AM..

Old 07-07-2013, 08:39 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,661,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What happened to your friends' baby???????????????
She was fine. She left her at daycare and hour and a half past her normal pick up time. The daycare center doesn't even close until 6pm.

But it is the exact same scenario as in the OP with a different, lucky outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting