Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:29 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times

Advertisements

If my child was advance AND was mature enough to be able to handle being in a higher grade I would do it. There is more to consider than just intelligence in doing something like this. You can really mess up your kids taking them away from their known classmates and putting them in a different grade with different children, the possibility of being treated different and teased, and being mature enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 01:28 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
Yes, absolutely, if it were recommended by the school. An awful lot of research shows that kids who skipped grades have better academic and social outcomes compared to kids who were recommended for grade skips and chose not to take them. (I can provide links if there's interest.)

My bias: I skipped multiple grades and wish I'd skipped more.
I'd like to read those links please.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:36 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
My son was soooo ready. He was already feeling disconnected from the kids in his grade, and he generally socialized with those a bit older than he was anyway. He felt 'different' in his grade because he was more mature as well as being academically advanced.

He skipped sixth grade -- he has a mid September birthday so he is now 15, and will be turning 16 right before he starts his Junior year of high school.

It's an individual decision, but we've never regretted it and he's been just fine academically and socially. The only difference is, his friends are starting driver's ed and getting jobs a bit ahead of him. Otherwise his friends have not been noticeably different from him when it comes to maturity levels or academic ability at all and he has run with the same "crowd" for four years now.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:55 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Thumbs down Prime example of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
It really depends on the child, but I'm not holding my child back to help those who are further behind. I want her placed on her abilities, not her age. Sometimes when kids are ahead of their classmates they end up getting bored and start falling behind because they get lazy and become disinterested in school.

The haves vs. the have-nots.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:45 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Eh, I went to two years of high school and two years of college in Asia, I call bologna. The only difference was tracking and testing. The best and the brightest of both were basically the same. But there the other end of the spectrum (including some of the low middle) were not expected to go to high school let along college.

As for doing fine, sure some have, many have not. And it has not been shown to be a benefit to the majority of kids at all. Now I am sure you are the parent of a profoundly gifted student right? Isn't everyone on the internet? Reading early has zero correlation with academic success later on btw.
This wasn't in Asia. And yes those kids were light years ahead of everyone in the class. It was very obvious.

Reading early has many benefits. A simple internet shows many articles on this.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:46 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The haves vs. the have-nots.
As a parent, it's up to you to raise your child. I can't hold my child back for the sake of someone else's child.

That's like saying I'm going to send my kid to a crappy school in the hood so she can help those kids out. Please get real. If that's what you want to do with your kid then fine.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:04 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
While it wasn't recent (I'm 55), I am one of those kids who skipped a grade in elementary school. I had gone to kindergarten (before it was part of regular public school), and had parents who read to me a lot, so I already knew how to read at an advanced level. My first grade teacher was boring me to death with Dick and Jane, and I asked if I could read a story about the submarine Turtle to the class. The story started with "David Bushnell was a mathemetician and engineer who lived at the time of the Revolutionary War." A week or two later, I was in 2nd grade.

No psychologists or educational consultants involved, just a principal and teachers who recognized a student who was reading and doing math at a higher grade level (my parents were already well aware of that, and were wondering how long it would take for the school to figure it out), so they put him in that higher grade.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:09 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
This wasn't in Asia. And yes those kids were light years ahead of everyone in the class. It was very obvious.
Then my point point is even more valid. The kids who do study abroad, especially those from Asia, are going to be the top 10%. Mediocre kids are not encouraged there to do study abroad the way they are here.

Its the immigrant factor on a smaller scale.

Quote:
I believe what I said was it doesn't CORRELATE to future academic success. Do you have an actual research that suggests otherwise?

Some examples of actual research finding no difference in academic success of early readers compared to their peers.

Durkin, Dolores. "CHILDREN WHO READ EARLY, TWO LONGITUDINAL STUDIES." (1966).

Kern, Margaret L., and Howard S. Friedman. "Early educational milestones as predictors of lifelong academic achievement, midlife adjustment, and longevity." Journal of applied developmental psychology 30.4 (2009): 419-430.

Additionally, the second study, looking at over 18K people, found "Early school entry was associated with less educational attainment, worse midlife adjustment, and most importantly, increased mortality risk."

Meaning that statistically, skipping grades, means students will have less likelihood of academic success, less likely to go to college or grad school, and so one. Now this is not true for children who are profoundly gifted, but early reading has very little to do with being truly profoundly gifted.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I'd like to read those links please.
The research supports that idea ONLY for the profoundly gifted who are also profoundly mature. But yes for those kids it can work very well.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:

What benefits? Research Finds No Advantage In Learning To Read From Age Five | Voxy.co.nz

Its argued that its actually not good for children to learn to read early BBC NEWS | UK | Education | UK children 'reading too early'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting