Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:23 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I would bet my very last dollar the issue is not limited to consequences. I would bet a gazillion dollars that this child need adjustment in the area of connection/belonging as well as capability. He needs to know another way to identify himself within groups AND he need to feel capable to solve problems in other ways.
Good points. He may be acting out to receive attention. Attention he is lacking elsewhere. That's why I asked when he started hitting. The problem solving capabilities is also something the OP should consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
Possibly refer us to someone to have him further evaluated for behavioral issues...for his sensory issues, etc.
Oh, okay. Well, a word of caution, just don't get too wrapped up into "analysis paralysis." Make sure they don't automatically medicate him.... Some of the suggestions here may work just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 02:02 PM

775 posts, read 1,258,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Good points. He may be acting out to receive attention. Attention he is lacking elsewhere. That's why I asked when he started hitting. The problem solving capabilities is also something the OP should consider.

Oh, okay. Well, a word of caution, just don't get too wrapped up into "analysis paralysis." Make sure they don't automatically medicate him.... Some of the suggestions here may work just fine.
He started getting aggressive about a year ago...in school for the most part. The reports we got were he constantly has his hands on others and will slap on the back, hit on the head, face or somewhere else. Teachers complained he often needs to be away from the group and is constantly needing redirection. He definitely likes playing with boys who roughhouse and tumble but part of that is just being a boy too. He isnt in control of his impulses. When he has playdates, is at the park and even with his brother (for the most part) he doesnt hit.
So to answer one of your previous questions, the hitting began when he started this last preschool. The teachers do what they can (redirect, time away from group, etc).
Today he did well. No time out time and he didnt hit. He did however verbalize that he is sad because he misses a friend he used to have in school so we were able to validate his feelings of sadness and loss there. Usually he just answers with "i dont know" when we ask why he hits or goes to time out. I have special one on one time with him planned for this weekend too

Old 07-26-2013, 03:57 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
He started getting aggressive about a year ago...in school for the most part. The reports we got were he constantly has his hands on others and will slap on the back, hit on the head, face or somewhere else. Teachers complained he often needs to be away from the group and is constantly needing redirection. He definitely likes playing with boys who roughhouse and tumble but part of that is just being a boy too. He isnt in control of his impulses. When he has playdates, is at the park and even with his brother (for the most part) he doesnt hit.
So to answer one of your previous questions, the hitting began when he started this last preschool. The teachers do what they can (redirect, time away from group, etc).
Today he did well. No time out time and he didnt hit. He did however verbalize that he is sad because he misses a friend he used to have in school so we were able to validate his feelings of sadness and loss there. Usually he just answers with "i dont know" when we ask why he hits or goes to time out. I have special one on one time with him planned for this weekend too
The special one on one time is a good start.

Several possibilities occur to me on how he can use his hands to get the sensory input he needs without hitting. I would see an OT and have her evaluate him and then see if she can suggest a *sensory diet* for him that will help.

You can try getting him upside down (my son will carry his son around upside down sometimes and he loves it). Go to the park and swing (a lot). Try messy play with textures (shaving cream was one my kids loved and you can also use chocolate or vanilla pudding). Explore smells and tastes. You will have to tailor this to what your child needs, so try things out and do what works well for him.

Read books about emotions - How Full is Your Bucket for Kids by Tom Rath might help him see when he is getting overwhelmed. When Sophie Gets Angry, Very, Very Angry by Molly Bang is another good book. I Just Don't Like the Sound of No! My Story About Accepting No for an Answer and Disagreeing the Right Way! by Julia Cook is another fun book. There are a lot of good books for emotional growth out there.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:01 PM

Oh awesome thanks Nana!

Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,397 times
Quote:
Good thing about the one on one time. Do you think he could be experiencing some anxiety too? He misses his former school friend, and has started a new preschool. These events could be playing a role in his behavior too, since his "hitting" sort of coincided with the new school and loss of a friend and also a known "routine" at his former school. The below article shares some ideas about stress and anxiety in children.

http://www.stressfreekids.com/10190/...ing-and-hittin

Old 07-27-2013, 09:32 PM

Thanks Jaded!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting