U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 05:22 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,056,615 times

Advertisements

I have a 3 year old (3 last month) boy who has very low verbal skills for his age, so we have been a little later to join the potty train.

We're doing no diaper/no undies/no pants right now for summer. Starting yesterday, and this morning, he has grabbed my hand and said 'peepee!' and we went to the potty! Great! A new word too.

My question is~ what do I do about outings? I can stay home for a few days so we keep close to the potty but eventually I need to start running errands. Do you bring your potty seat? Do you use a diaper? A pullup? A cloth diaper??? I plan on only very short outings (groceries) until we are more confident.

TIA.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:02 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Undies.
I never took a seat.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:32 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,952,246 times
I keep a toddler potty in the back of my car at all times for emergencies. I also have a pee pee pad for the carseat, so that in case of an accident, I can just remove the pad and still have a dry carseat. Otherwise, just underwear and frequent bathroom stops. And several changes of clothes.

Some people carry around a foldable potty insert to put on top of a public toilet if your kid is afraid of falling in. Another tip is a sticky note pad to cover the light sensors on some public toilets, so that they don't flush unexpectedly and scare your child. A bad experience like these can set you back in potty training.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 AM

39,024 posts, read 37,656,456 times
Do NOT put him in diapers. It is confusing. You have to act like he is wearing underwear all the time now and follow through. Using the bathroom while out is part of life, and if you act like it's no big deal, so will he.

Start out with quick trips and figure out where the bathrooms are the minute you get in the store. Then just ask him if he needs to go.

I always brought wet wipes with me to clean off toilet seats before they got up there. But boys have the blessed ability to pee standing up, so get him to do that as early as possible.

Also, don't give him a ton of liquid before you go out.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:50 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,828,849 times
You may want to try a social story for going potty when you are out and about. You would have to make one yourself, but there are social stories about the potty that you could modify.

http://www.setbc.org/pictureset/reso...oom_public.pdf

http://www.setbc.org/pictureset/reso...otty_story.pdf

http://www.ccsd.edu/files/filesystem...ty%20Story.pdf

http://www.setbc.org/pictureset/reso...et_routine.pdf

http://www.setbc.org/pictureset/reso...m/bathroom.pdf

Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 PM

3,072 posts, read 4,056,615 times
Thanks guys.

We went out today and had several accidents (friend's house) but eventually he found his way to the potty. It's still day 1 proper so not bad, he gets very excited when he goes. Slowly learning to recognize it.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:35 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,921,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I keep a toddler potty in the back of my car at all times for emergencies. I also have a pee pee pad for the carseat, so that in case of an accident, I can just remove the pad and still have a dry carseat. Otherwise, just underwear and frequent bathroom stops. And several changes of clothes.

Some people carry around a foldable potty insert to put on top of a public toilet if your kid is afraid of falling in. Another tip is a sticky note pad to cover the light sensors on some public toilets, so that they don't flush unexpectedly and scare your child. A bad experience like these can set you back in potty training.
Excellent advice, especially with the sticky notes for the automatic toilets.

I just constantly asked if she needed to go... over and over and over again....

Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,586,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I have a 3 year old (3 last month) boy who has very low verbal skills for his age, so we have been a little later to join the potty train.

We're doing no diaper/no undies/no pants right now for summer. Starting yesterday, and this morning, he has grabbed my hand and said 'peepee!' and we went to the potty! Great! A new word too.

My question is~ what do I do about outings? I can stay home for a few days so we keep close to the potty but eventually I need to start running errands. Do you bring your potty seat? Do you use a diaper? A pullup? A cloth diaper??? I plan on only very short outings (groceries) until we are more confident.

TIA.
I did what you are doing - tried to stay around the potty as much as possible. I also tried putting his underwear on under his diaper. That lets him know if he pees his pants (the diaper makes it hard to tell and too comfortable - we have essentially trained them to go in a diaper). But that was a pain. We did have to deal with accidents for a week or so, and I just made sure to bring plenty of extra clothes. I also took him to the potty frequently when we were out (I got paper potty covers from amazon so he didn't have to touch icky public toilets, and also had a plastic foldable one - but some kids are afraid of them). The key is making sure to get a sense of timing and take him to the potty regularly whether he says anything or not. This in between period will probably pass quickly, so just expect occasional accidents for a while and be prepared with extra stuff - including socks and maybe even shoes - at all times.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:40 PM

775 posts, read 1,016,885 times
I planned errands accordingly. He went potty, we left immediately to do whatever. And I took extra clothes everywhere. I spent a good four days at home, or close to it, just focusing on the potty. I never took one with me. I also used the old school plastic pants over the underwear a lot. Pull ups were way to close to diapers for daytime wear but I used them at night

Old 07-23-2013, 12:16 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,908,158 times
OP, you already have a thread on potty training. This falls under that same topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting