U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2013, 02:47 PM

28,173 posts, read 24,245,363 times

Advertisements

If food drops from the portable seat and tray we bring ourselves, WE pick it up.

It is not usually an issue.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:14 PM

19,081 posts, read 12,630,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Thank you.

Honestly, what do people do when THEY spill something? Do you get on the floor and try and mop it up with napkins?

It's GROSS to get down on the floor and pick up food.

I think a lot of it is that some people's egos are so overblown that they can't bear to leave a restaurant with the impression that their babies aren't so perfect that they may make a perfectly age appropriate mess. They aren't concerned about the staff, they're just embarrassed to be seen as mere mortals.

People don't think you're rude if you acknowledge their effort verbally and cover the extra trouble with a monetary thank you. The college kid who needs the tip will take the extra 20 to do a quick sweep over you scrabbling around under the table any day. They're only going to have to go over it when you're gone.

This has nothing to do with manners, it's all about keeping up some sort of snotty appearances.

IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Absolutely correct. It is considered rude to retrieve items from the floor of a restaurant or dining area.

Restaurant Etiquette | Etiquette Scholar

Dropped Food at Restaurant -- Peggy Post Etiquette - Good Housekeeping

Dining Etiquette
The top link points out something I was thinking of. You should pick up something that has fallen in the line of traffic. The visual I have in my mind is a toddler sitting in his own special chair at the end of the table. There's a high chance he's already in the line of traffic.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:06 PM

17,034 posts, read 14,596,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If you do not leave a mess that your child has made, do not give your kids the kinds of foods that it is predictable will make more than an ordinary mess (crackers, for example, in the hands of a toddler can be easily predicted to make much more of a mess than a restaurant should ordinarily be required to clean up, so you just don't give a toddler crackers in a restaurant, you choose something else to give them), and leave truly "meaningful amends" (what exactly does that mean, anyway?) if you cannot clean up the mess yourself, then none of this applies to you, so why the self-defensiveness?

I'm not saying I'm a better parent than you; I don't know you. Heck, I wasn't always successful at what I knew was good parenting, though I tried. What I'm doing is describing what I consider good parenting, and why it is good parenting, and saying that I think that the purpose of not letting your kids make a mess and leave it for someone else to clean up is more for the benefit of the child than the wait staff and busing staff.

Sorry, but in a discussion forum, I'm allowed to have an opinion and voice it. As are you.
There is nothing a toddler won't throw on the floor. Nothing.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:24 PM

16,527 posts, read 23,073,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
There is nothing a toddler won't throw on the floor. Nothing.
And that's why, in a restaurant, you only give them things that are easy for you (or, if not you, whoever is cleaning up your child's mess for you) to clean up. Cracker crumbs do not fall into that category.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:30 PM

217 posts, read 144,157 times
I don't have kids & don't spend a lot of time with kids.

But I think it's the staff's job to clean the tables and whatever else, regardless of who sits there or how old the person is who is making a mess. That's what you go to a restaurant for -the dining experience. That includes having someone else clean up after you for once.

(I tip 30% min in the $2 states, 20% min in the full wage states, and expect to have my butt kissed in every way when I go out and blow $200+ at a restaurant. I expect the same when I bring my little relatives out to eat.)

Children are part of life. They are the only class of people who have no voice or say in anything that goes on around them, completely dependent on the actions of others. The disdain people have around children in public really bothers me.

If a kid is really poorly behaved, that's the parent's call to bring them out to a restaurant or not. It can be annoying when people bring kids to upscale restaurants that are not age appropriate, but to be so annoyed by kids being kids at regular restaurants in general is misguided, IMO.
We were all toddlers at one point.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:31 PM

7,806 posts, read 9,401,364 times
Quote:
And that's why, in a restaurant, you only give them things that are easy for you (or, if not you, whoever is cleaning up your child's mess for you) to clean up. Cracker crumbs do not fall into that category.
In my experience, it is the restaurant staff themselves who are quick to hand out those little packets of crackers.

There are restaurants where families are welcome, and I wouldn't bat an eye at a toddler's mess, whether it by my own child's. or another's. If they have high chairs and booster seats available, then that is the crowd they are catering to. A mess comes with the territory.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:38 PM

16,527 posts, read 23,073,250 times
Since etiquette tips were posted earlier:

♨ 9. Restaurant Rules for Parents: Use baby wipes to wipe a high chair before putting your kid in it - they may or may not have been cleaned after the last use. Place a small plastic cover under the chair of your small kid so that even if your kid spills anything, the carpet or the floor will not get stained. While leaving, clean up after your kid if things have been soiled more than what is normal in a restaurant. If there is any mistake on the part of the restaurant staff, try to keep your fuse in check. Most restaurants are more than willing to rectify their mistakes and an over-the-top reaction from you will embarrass your kids. Besides, the key to make your kids behave is by behaving yourself.
Read more at Buzzle: Tips for Dining Out with Kids

Old 07-27-2013, 06:50 PM

17,130 posts, read 12,492,895 times
Quote:
Since etiquette tips were posted earlier:

♨ 9. Restaurant Rules for Parents: Use baby wipes to wipe a high chair before putting your kid in it - they may or may not have been cleaned after the last use. Place a small plastic cover under the chair of your small kid so that even if your kid spills anything, the carpet or the floor will not get stained. While leaving, clean up after your kid if things have been soiled more than what is normal in a restaurant. If there is any mistake on the part of the restaurant staff, try to keep your fuse in check. Most restaurants are more than willing to rectify their mistakes and an over-the-top reaction from you will embarrass your kids. Besides, the key to make your kids behave is by behaving yourself.
Read more at Buzzle: Tips for Dining Out with Kids
I don't think anyone here is advocating leaving behind a trail of debris wherever one goes with a toddler. Most people have indicated they pick up things like wrappers and excessive stuff that might find it's way on the table. A few cracker crumbs on the floor is not excessive and will not damage the floor or stain the carpet.

Did you read the whole article or just the one paragraph? I ask because this article is specifically discussing taking children out to nicer restaurants and not limiting them to "kid friendly' ones. See here:

Just like your kid needs to be taught how to speak, walk and eat, he/she needs to be taught how to behave when dining out. Leaving them at home or waiting for them to grow up before you introduce them to the world of fine dining and restaurant dinners, may not be a very good idea. Going only to the kid-friendly restaurants is not much better either. More so, if the 'kid-friendly' restaurant offers only burgers and fries and you are trying to teach your children healthy eating habits.
Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/tips-for-dining-out-with-kids.html

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-27-2013 at 07:07 PM..

Old 07-27-2013, 09:26 PM

22,275 posts, read 13,106,844 times
Quote:
My grandmother, who drank tea with her pinky in the air and never went anywhere unless she was dressed like she was going to church, LOVED to sit and eat crackers with her great-grandchildren.

I'm quite sure that were she reading this thread she'd not believe that people got upset that toddlers are fed crackers in restaurants.

I'm not sure how they do it in Texas as the last time I was in that state I was in a very fast car buzzing past Amarillo, but in Southern California it's common for restaurant wait staffs to place a basket of crackers on the table with the expectation that people are going to actually eat them.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:33 PM

924 posts, read 408,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Yup! They are exploring what Mom and Dad are going to do when the throw food at a restaurant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting