Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 08:48 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Picking food up off a restaurant floor is not the patron's job, regardless of the age of the customer that put it there. It's just gross. They have sweepers that they use that make it easy - I don't think they want to see people picking food up off the floor any more than other customers do. Wrappers, on the other hand, I would probably pick up.
Thank you.

Honestly, what do people do when THEY spill something? Do you get on the floor and try and mop it up with napkins?

It's GROSS to get down on the floor and pick up food.

I think a lot of it is that some people's egos are so overblown that they can't bear to leave a restaurant with the impression that their babies aren't so perfect that they may make a perfectly age appropriate mess. They aren't concerned about the staff, they're just embarrassed to be seen as mere mortals.

People don't think you're rude if you acknowledge their effort verbally and cover the extra trouble with a monetary thank you. The college kid who needs the tip will take the extra 20 to do a quick sweep over you scrabbling around under the table any day. They're only going to have to go over it when you're gone.

This has nothing to do with manners, it's all about keeping up some sort of snotty appearances.

IMHO.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Whenever I go to the beach or some larger public park and I see families there, bbq'ing or having picnics and when they leave there is a bunch of trash left behind. The worse offenders are usually the adults. The kids learn from them. At a restaurant, if you child dumps gold fish all over the floor, you should pick it up to the best of your ability. In other words, just like you are going to somebody's house for dinner, you just don't leave the mess on the floor. But the parents who does just leave it on the floor, they are quit messy themselves. So you don't really expect people like them to clean up after their children.

I don't go into the kitchen and have a beer with the chef afterward while I help do the dishes either.

Because - it's a restaurant, not your buddy's house. A restaurant where it is actually people's jobs to clean up, and it's not demeaning to them to do it, it's what they do. Let them do it.

And if I had a friend come over for dinner and their baby made a mess - I would never let them clean it up. They're guests. Besides, I know where the broom is.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I don't go into the kitchen and have a beer with the chef afterward while I help do the dishes either.

Because - it's a restaurant, not your buddy's house. A restaurant where it is actually people's jobs to clean up, and it's not demeaning to them to do it, it's what they do. Let them do it.

And if I had a friend come over for dinner and their baby made a mess - I would never let them clean it up. They're guests. Besides, I know where the broom is.
I understand what you are saying. But this is just how I was raised. I don't like to leave an unnecessary mess behind.
When I worked retail some customers could be real pigs. Throwing clothes all over the fitting room and when dropping clothing on the floor they just ignored it and walked away. They probably thought it was not their job to pick it up. I think it is bad manners.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
The college kid who needs the tip will take the extra 20 to do a quick sweep over you scrabbling around under the table any day.
An extra 20?! If only that were the case, I would be begging parents to come in with their messy toddlers. Its more likely that people are leaving an extra dollar or two, or even just rounding up the change.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,241,816 times
With few exceptions, children under the age of 3 have near zero business being brought into a restaurant. We did perhaps twice. The rest of the time we got sitters.

My uncles all own restaurants. They have commented that as society has gotten more Liberal over the years, certain types of customers have increasingly become more and more inconsiderate and leave bigger messes. Such is indicative of an increase in entitlement-minded mentalities.

And as to children, several of their restaurants do not permit patrons to bring children in order to eliminate disturbance.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
With few exceptions, children under the age of 3 have near zero business being brought into a restaurant. We did perhaps twice. The rest of the time we got sitters.

My uncles all own restaurants. They have commented that as society has gotten more Liberal over the years, certain types of customers have increasingly become more and more inconsiderate and leave bigger messes. Such is indicative of an increase in entitlement-minded mentalities.

And as to children, several of their restaurants do not permit patrons to bring children in order to eliminate disturbance.
Bully for them.

Some restaurants make their living - serving families.

If someone has two kids, you're talking about keeping that family out of restaurants for at least four years, probably longer. Now multiply that by the number of families with small children.

No wonder restaurants have a high rate of going broke.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
An extra 20?! If only that were the case, I would be begging parents to come in with their messy toddlers. Its more likely that people are leaving an extra dollar or two, or even just rounding up the change.
That's a good point. Not what I was thinking. I think if you've made a mess you need to leave a meaningful contribution over your usual.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:59 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Whenever I go to the beach or some larger public park and I see families there, bbq'ing or having picnics and when they leave there is a bunch of trash left behind. The worse offenders are usually the adults. The kids learn from them. At a restaurant, if you child dumps gold fish all over the floor, you should pick it up to the best of your ability. In other words, just like you are going to somebody's house for dinner, you just don't leave the mess on the floor. But the parents who does just leave it on the floor, they are quit messy themselves. So you don't really expect people like them to clean up after their children.
Exactly. A restaurant is a public place, but that doesn't mean you can't be kicked out if you're trashing the place or your children are being extremely disruptive.

You should behave in a restaurant as you would as a guest in someone's home.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:09 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
Thank you.

Honestly, what do people do when THEY spill something? Do you get on the floor and try and mop it up with napkins?

It's GROSS to get down on the floor and pick up food.

I think a lot of it is that some people's egos are so overblown that they can't bear to leave a restaurant with the impression that their babies aren't so perfect that they may make a perfectly age appropriate mess. They aren't concerned about the staff, they're just embarrassed to be seen as mere mortals.

People don't think you're rude if you acknowledge their effort verbally and cover the extra trouble with a monetary thank you. The college kid who needs the tip will take the extra 20 to do a quick sweep over you scrabbling around under the table any day. They're only going to have to go over it when you're gone.

This has nothing to do with manners, it's all about keeping up some sort of snotty appearances.

IMHO.
I actually do try and clean up if I spill something. I usually call the waiter/waitress, apologise and ask for a cloth so I can clean it up. Sometimes they insist on cleaning it themselves and other times they give me a cloth. I don't go to fancy/expensive restaurants though, more like pub-style restaurants and cafeteria style (where you are expected to clean up everything yourself including your plates)

Old 07-27-2013, 02:06 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Riiigghht heck for an extra $20 tip their kids can puke on the floor and I'll clean it up with a smile on my face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting