U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 01:08 PM

1,013 posts, read 4,062,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
anyhow, I guess what Im trying to say, is I think each woman should be able to make her own choice and not be made to feel well, less of a mother, because of how her child(ren) arrive.
I agree with you, Tiffany. Not so much on this thread, mainly the "Why are hospitals used for childbirth" thread seemed to be preachy, implying you are "uneducated" and "uninformed" if you get an epidural or need a c-section. To me, the most important thing is getting the baby out healthy, and keeping the mother healthy. People aren't exaggerating when they say childbirth is the most painful thing you can go through. I didn't know pain like that existed. I literally felt like I was splitting in two! I didn't get an epidural because I couldn't, but I sure wanted one! And I sure hope I can get one with my future children! I don't think there is anything wrong with getting some pain relief when you are in severe pain like that. And some people need c-sections. Sometimes the baby is breech, sometimes the baby's hearbeat drops, and a number of other circumstances make a c-section necessary. It doesn't make one any less of a mother or mean they should be sad about their birth experience if one is necessary. The beauty and joy of child birth comes from seeing your precious, healthy baby for the first time and hearing that first cry. How the baby gets to that point is irrelevant, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 01:09 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,972,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
anyhow, I guess what Im trying to say, is I think each woman should be able to make her own choice and not be made to feel well, less of a mother, because of how her child(ren) arrive. I saw the best line somewhere on this board, it just made my day, someone here said "ive never heard of a child thanking their mom for not having an epideral" or close to that. LOL!!! LOVE IT!!!!! THanks to whoever said that.
LOL...my mother was under general anesthesia when I was born, and whenever something goes wrong in my life...it's because of THAT.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:33 PM

12,620 posts, read 17,687,512 times
Don't do it!
Unless you enjoy experiencing the most excruciating pain you have ever experienced in your life.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:41 AM

2,408 posts, read 9,663,853 times
ZNet |Gender | Depraved Indifference

Quote:
Melissa Ann Rowland, 28, of Salt Lake City was pregnant with twins. Her doctors claim they warned her about complications requiring a Caesarean section. Without the procedure, they believed the unborn twins might not survive. According to a nurse, Rowland refused the C-section because she didn't want scars.
Rowland's attorney, Michael Sikora, says his client has a long history of mental illness. He called a C-section major surgery and explained, "It would come as no surprise that a woman with major mental illness would fear it."
Only one of the twins survived childbirth.
Melissa Ann Rowland, 28, of Salt Lake City was arrested and charged with one first-degree felony count of criminal homicide: "depraved indifference to human life." If convicted, she faces between five years and life in prison.
She later pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of child endangerment because she refused the C-section. So all you natural birthers, beware, if the child is harmed from the birthing process, you could be held criminally culpable.

(sorry if you ladies feel this is inappropriate for this thread ... I just came across this article in a search and quite frankly I'm shocked at this infringement on civil liberties).

Old 11-16-2007, 12:15 PM

168 posts, read 1,057,586 times
I had 2 natural births and my stance is that everyone should make an INFORMED decision. I don't think relying on an OB is an informed decision, but once a woman has done independent research (which often contradicts what OBs are taught in med school) and learned about birthing in the rest of the Western world...then absolutely she should make up her own mind!

I"ll tell you...I started a Bradley birthing class b/c I was told over 90% of women who take it go on to deliver w/o pain meds. I was SHOCKED. The "teacher" flat out said taht women who use pain meds don't love their babies as much as those who don't. I was FLOORED and SO MAD. I quit the class. I think they have such a high success rate b/c the women are guilted into it which is awful!

I did deliver w/o pain meds (and without a birthing class! ), but I would never ever suggest someone does not love their baby as much or anything else.

I don't think anyone should say "don't do it" as above, about going natural any more than anyone should say "you have to do it". It's a choice everyone has to make.

And I also want to clarify that just b/c I could go natural does not mean that I would ever have risked my baby's life. I knew from research that hospitals usually push pitocin at 2-3 hours after water breaking, but that the risk of infection does not rise until after 24 hours. I waited the 24 hours against their advice b/c I KNEW I was right on this one--there's lots of literature to support it. I also declined an episiotomy when they kept saying I should have one (I didn't need a single stitch in the end). However, had my baby ever been in distress and needed to come out quickly, you'd better believe I would have been signing those papers for a c-section. My plan was for natural if everything went well, which it did. Natural does not equal irresponsible or flat out against intervention at any time...only unecessary intervention.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:40 PM

3,893 posts, read 9,361,850 times
Hooray Strawberryfield for writing a sane, respectful post on a subject that can be touchy, to say the least.

Good job!

Old 11-19-2007, 01:51 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,802,899 times
My first 2 kids were with an epi and anything else they could give me. My last one came so quickly that they did not have a chance to give me anything. I was screaming for drugs!! Even though the birth was the most painful thing in my life as soon as it was over I felt better than I did the prevoius 9 months. My recovery time with the epi was a lot harder. My drug free baby was also a lot more active but was born with meningitis and I think being drug free helped him fight the illness a lot faster.

Like other have said be informed and do what is best for you and your child what ever that is.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:56 AM

8,000 posts, read 16,804,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
An aside- for the second, I was squatting down along the bed at one point and nurse came by and asked what I was doing. When my DH told her that I was just doing that because it felt better, she stuck her head out the door of my room and yelled down the hall, "You have to come see this one, she's here squatting beside the bed!"
That's awful.

My first I had an epidural that only took on one side of my body. The second was natural, completely against what I wanted, I was already dilated to a ten before I even got to the hospital. I would of given anything to have an epidural, it was horrible.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:16 AM

1,013 posts, read 4,062,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
That's awful.

My first I had an epidural that only took on one side of my body. The second was natural, completely against what I wanted, I was already dilated to a ten before I even got to the hospital. I would of given anything to have an epidural, it was horrible.
Your second birth sounds much like my first. By the time I got to the hospital I was dilated to an 8. I was screaming for my epidural and they told me they had to take some blood and get the i.v. in me first. I was screaming for them to hurry. They took my blood, got the i.v. in me, and I was fully dilated and they were wheeling me to delivery. I was like, "Wait, my epidural!" They told me sorry, too late, baby is coming. My husband said he wanted to run and hide when they told me that.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:18 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,221,161 times
Being a oldie... I had all of mine as nature intended but with drugs. Recently I want to a new OB-GYN and the nurse said "What? You had them all NATURALLY? NO C-section?".. I smiled and sweetly told her "Honey, in my day, that is how it was done!"

Each case is different and no one should be making any comments on someone having a c-section or naturally, actually it is nobody's business but the Mom to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or