U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:05 PM

3,099 posts, read 1,881,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Believe it or not, some people don't do things for the sole recognition or fame.

Perhaps...just maybe...some people are doing it for their baby.
yes exactly what i was just saying. there are safety/health issues involved with epidurals and babies/mothers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 04:06 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,807,776 times
I'm due on Thursday with my first and was in for a non-stress test and amniotic fluid index yesterday. The nurse asked me how I was going to deliver the baby. It took me a second to figure out what she meant and I replied "The old-fashioned way." That seemed like a weird question--are elective c-sections really that common?

Old 11-20-2007, 04:22 PM

3,099 posts, read 1,881,226 times
who knows, probably not but they are definitely done frequently "just to be on the safe side/fear of lawsuit". other times it is indeed an emergency. im sure there are some women who ask for one ahead of time because of personal reasons and the dr relents even if it is not medically necessary. congrats to you and best wishes for a good birth experience!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:31 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,656,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post
But if makes you proud to endure that much pain - good for you!
tamcim - I thought your post was funny... My first born was a natural child birth - I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. But I've come across many women who like to brag about it for some reason.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:49 PM

222 posts, read 957,396 times
I had an epi with the first and natural at home for the second. The pain was intense and the labor was 24 hours, but I wouldn't have chosen an epi or at the hospital if I had to do it again. I feel empowered and proud of myself. I chose what was best for me and my baby. We spent the next week pretty much in bed (thanks Mom for watching my oldest) as is recommended for all new Moms and having a sweet little one cuddled up to me and not drugged (first slept for 3 days) is the BEST! I know after that that I can handle just bout anything life throws at me. It is a wonderful feeling!

Old 11-25-2007, 07:57 AM

11,308 posts, read 15,844,760 times
The thing with epidurals that bothers me is that if you plan on getting one, sometimes there either isn't time or they simply don't work. I'd rather mentally prepare to be in pain (which works for me- I deal with it better) than be surprised. :P

I do think having a drug free birth can certainly be more empowering, but that's not the point of giving birth to most mothers. Births should be as positive an experience as medically able, and if for some women that means you need to be drugged up to the hilt to not freak out, then great. If that means you threaten any nurse who comes near you with an epidural that you'll file a lawsuit, good job for you too.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:31 AM

255 posts, read 1,079,861 times
I think that first time mothers are so open to impressions from other women, books they read, doctors they have, classes they go to that it is very overwhelming. I had my first child naturally - only because I didn't know I had a choice or I was so intimidated by the company I kept. Seriously. My second was in a hospital in an overseas country - and I'm not telling you where because it was so traumatic. But they did let me know that I could have an epidural. Unfortunately it was so late that it didn't have time to work before the baby came. By the time I had my third, again in this same country although by now I was a lot smarter and changed doctors and hospitals (my doctor took that precise time to come to the US) I knew better and asked for the epidural ahead of time. Yahoo! I don't know if they gave me a low dose or whatever but my babies were quite wakeful as opposed to what I'm hearing here.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:07 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,927,008 times
I've heard that the pain of a natural birth can be deeply psychologically disturbing to the mother...if that was not what she truly wanted or changed her mind too late...and can interfere with bonding. Anyone else heard this?

Old 11-27-2007, 09:38 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,235,520 times
Nope, never heard that. I have heard that a baby with colic can have that effect.

And having children has been shown to be deeply psychologically disturbing.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:50 AM

8,000 posts, read 16,734,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I've heard that the pain of a natural birth can be deeply psychologically disturbing to the mother...if that was not what she truly wanted or changed her mind too late...and can interfere with bonding. Anyone else heard this?
I know that after I had my second child, I went into shock, I stared at the ceiling for about 24 hours and couldn't snap out of it. My labor was so horrible. I still held my baby and fed her, but the bonding was delayed for about 3 or 4 days with her . It was an awful experience, I wish I would of made it to the hospital in time for an epidural.

I will say that my labor without the epidural, I recovered physically much more quickly than the labor with the epidural. But the experience I had without an epidural was not worth it at all.

HIF, that's hilarious!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or