U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 11:55 AM

3,100 posts, read 23,712 times
Default "natural" births

i have noticed over the years that ALOT of people get mixed up and refer to VAGINAL births as Natural births. natural birth of course means with no drugs. vaginal births means - well - you know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 12:47 PM

168 posts, read 792,510 times
Right, and I've had 2 natural births but...is there a question or just informing people?

Old 11-11-2007, 05:40 PM

3,100 posts, read 23,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfield View Post
Right, and I've had 2 natural births but...is there a question or just informing people?
just informing people. geez!

Old 11-12-2007, 05:54 PM

168 posts, read 792,510 times
Ok! I wasn't trying to be rude.....I just thought threads usually have conversations and didn't really see a starting point for one here. But I'm always happy to pipe in on natural births!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:31 PM

9,342 posts, read 15,607,915 times
Both my sons were natural births, although I went into labor while I was out of town with my second 14 years ago and at the hospital, when I told them I was going natural, they were going to do an epidural- told me that was still a natural birth- that 98% of the women get them. uhhhh, NO! LOL.

An aside- for the second, I was squatting down along the bed at one point and nurse came by and asked what I was doing. When my DH told her that I was just doing that because it felt better, she stuck her head out the door of my room and yelled down the hall, "You have to come see this one, she's here squatting beside the bed!"

And that was in the OB ward....I couldn't get out of there fast enough after the birth!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:01 PM
TCK

167 posts, read 370,942 times
Default Two natural births

I had two natural births without drugs. Luckily I had pretty quick labors 5 hrs. and 3.5 hours. The last one was a high-risk pregnancy and I had ultrasound profiles and scans seemed weekly. Last one was 5 days before I had my son and he was in perfect presentation. However he was breech so that was a unique experience (putting bed up and pushing him in and rotating him - ALL WITHOUT DRUGS). He was born without a brokeN shoulder but I had a cracked tailbone (term loosely used).

I am now 50 years old and sitting here thinking about it. My sons were heavy duty sleepers the first few weeks after their birth and terrible at wanting to wake and eat (told they would be more alert without drugs). Anyways if I had to do all over - I WOULD TAKE THE DRUGS....HONESTLY.
Wish I would have tried an epidural.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:20 AM

25,085 posts, read 8,095,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i have noticed over the years that ALOT of people get mixed up and refer to VAGINAL births as Natural births. natural birth of course means with no drugs. vaginal births means - well - you know!
Hi...I totally agree with u. Natural means drug free. I went all natural, but I was very tempted to take what ever drugs they could give me I can laugh about it now but that natural birth is butt kicker. Only the strong survive.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:03 AM

1,013 posts, read 3,008,525 times
I had every intention of getting an epidural through my whole pregnancy with my son. I'm a huge baby and am terrified of pain. As it turned out, I ended up having a completely natural birth. I ended up having an extremely fast labor, the doctors were all amazed by me. My son was born in 1 hour, my first baby! So by the time I got to the hospital I was begging for an epidural and they told me it was too late, the baby was coming, and I needed to go into delivery. So I ended up having a completely natural, drug free birth. I have to give you ladies credit that are in labor for many hours and have the strength to refuse the drugs. I thought I was going to die and I was only in labor for 1-hour!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:09 AM

324 posts, read 850,213 times
I have also had people confuse me!

A good friend of mine called me up to inform me that he was a grandparent and that she did a great job and had a natural birth. I thought wow, that is wonderful and a lot of willpower too. After I made a couple comments about epidurals, he told me oh she had an epidural, what he meant by natural was that she had a vaginal birth without an episiotomy! Ok made a fool of myself .

Old 11-15-2007, 09:59 AM

2,096 posts, read 5,645,444 times
My kids were all c-sections....are they, or am I un-natural? lol

with my first, we had many complications throughout, then her heart stopped and they couldn't get it going again. She was an emergency c-section at 27weeks. As we were there at the hospital, deep in fear and grief because they didnt think she would live, one family friend came to me and we were talking about all that had happened. What made me mad, was her focusing on how my daughter was born. There was no grief for my fragile baby, only her going on and on about how I had "missed out" on "truly giving birth" and how devistated for me she was about that. Believe me, how my daughter came out was the LAST thing on my mind!
My son we tried natural VBAC but that didnt work either. Heck, it didnt work when we gave up and did the epideral only after I was blacking out (MIL was insistant HER Grandson be born w/o meds....) and his heartbeat weakened. Turned out his head was waaaay to big to fit. Go figure. lol Again, we had people (okay, women only really) that "mourned" my "loss" in not having him "natural"
My 3rd,the Dr said "no way anything but planned c-section!" and my MIL actually cried! A co-worker said I should sue the Dr for "denying my right for a TRUE birth" eh? and that I should just stay at home and try a homebirth w/just family and friends. Uhhhhh....no. no thanks! lol
anyhow, I guess what Im trying to say, is I think each woman should be able to make her own choice and not be made to feel well, less of a mother, because of how her child(ren) arrive. I saw the best line somewhere on this board, it just made my day, someone here said "ive never heard of a child thanking their mom for not having an epideral" or close to that. LOL!!! LOVE IT!!!!! THanks to whoever said that.
anyway, Im sure that this thread in no way was a basher on those of us who did not have a "natural birth" I just wanted to throw in myside too of someone who had pretty far from it and such negative reactions from seriously Pro-Natural women. some people can be scary man! lol
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting