Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:39 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post

Actually the lunch is quite healthy. He had protein (the peanut butter was organic whole peanut butter), a vegetable and a handful of fruit with water to drink. I never said i'm here to fatten him up, but I allow him cheese (and peanut butter from the picture) since it DOES have good fats in it. Please reread what i posted. Again with the assumptions.
I have nothing against you, I am not attempting to judge you, but you are sadly misinformed about what is healthy (unfortunately, many people in this country are because our government allows deceptive marketing practices). Please google the nutritional info on celery. It barely fulfills any fiber requirements let alone any vitamin/mineral requirements. Peanut butter, even organic, is loaded with sugar. And just because something is "organic" does not make it healthy. Grapes are just...again...sugar.

I am not judging you because this was one sample of what I assume is a whole diet of many varied things including other veggies and protein sources (like you said). I am sure many of your kid's meals are complete and truly healthy.

I just think if you were trying to make a point, you picked the wrong example.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:40 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
Actually, sunflower butter is pretty much the best, but we were out. Hubby usually uses the PB and we stick with sunflower

Old 08-01-2013, 10:43 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have nothing against you, I am not attempting to judge you, but you are sadly misinformed about what is healthy (unfortunately, many people in this country are because our government allows deceptive marketing practices). Please google the nutritional info on celery. It barely fulfills any fiber requirements let alone any vitamin/mineral requirements. Peanut butter, even organic, is loaded with sugar. And just because something is "organic" does not make it healthy. Grapes are just...again...sugar.

I am not judging you because this was one sample of what I assume is a whole diet of many varied things including other veggies and protein sources (like you said). I am sure many of your kid's meals are complete and truly healthy.

I am going to do something completely different than google for health information. I am going feed my family healthy enough and not die with worry over a piece of celery. I am good with that.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:43 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Goodwin View Post
Actually I do know about what is developmentally appropriate since I have studied Early Childhood Education and am at student teaching level.
I'm not quite sure your intention for starting this thread, I strongly suspect it's just to tell us all we're obviously doing it wrong. Since all children are different, no one size fits all. Giving a toddler choices is a big way to avoid tantrums. Not unlimited choices, not "what do you want to do today?", but "Should we go to the park or the trail?"

I wish you well in your teaching career, and have no doubt your preconceived ideas on child development and behaviors will be put to the test. The best thing to do is revisit your child development material, and keep an open mind.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:45 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
My wife would put 4 bands of breakfast cereal on the table and ask the kids - which one do you want? The kids would hum and haw and insist on one then change their minds and want the other and so on...the choice giving- wasted about 10 minutes of time and was irritating to hear. I suggested - "Don't give them a choice...they are infants and they do not know what they want...serve them up their breakfast with out a choice and just get them to eat and get it over with" Giving infants the freedom of choice is stupid - because they really do not know what they want...Once they know what they want - then let them choose.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:46 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

You may want to broaden your food selection then. We use this. No added sugar.

Organic Peanut Butter - No Salt Added (Crunchy) | MaraNatha | If you like your peanuts right out of the shell, this one is for you: 100% USDA-certified organic peanuts, double-ground to a velvety smooth consistency, with a generous handful of organic

1,624 posts, read 4,054,579 times
If you truly do have a degree, which I'm starting to doubt, then you would not have posted this in the first place. Did you forget to go to child developmental psy classes or did you flunk those? If you want to really think about it. Brush up on your anthropology as well.

A toddler has to wear a coat. You do not say "put this coat on" you say "do you want to wear this blue coat or this green coat". Not only does the adult provide the direction they need, they help develop the child's decision making skills and starts the independence training.

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times
So, what do you guys feed your kids then? How old are they?

This must be the only place on the planet where a parent gets lectured for giving celery, grapes, and peanut butter to a kid for a snack. Am I in the twilight zone?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
I think that limited choices (e.g. do you want muffin A or B, not pick one of the 10 muffins) is good for children, because they feel like their decision is valued and important (and let's face it, they have a lot of rules/ restrictions forced on them, for good reason).

Also, making decisions is a skill set that not adults have, and I think you can foster and learn about decision making.
I agree with this - the operative word being "limited."

I've seen too many kids melt down in restaurants and other places when presented with too many options.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 AM

108 posts, read 135,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Yes, because the occassional popsicle is going to hurt him. How do you know we use commercial yogurt? We dont. We use organic/plain greek yogurt, which, by the way, does not have sugar additives. Again, you do not know how often he eats, you're making general assumptions. He eats breakfast (usually an egg at his request), a small snack, lunch, small snack, then what i make for dinner. Hardly over eating.

Actually the lunch is quite healthy. He had protein (the peanut butter was organic whole peanut butter), a vegetable and a handful of fruit with water to drink. I never said i'm here to fatten him up, but I allow him cheese (and peanut butter from the picture) since it DOES have good fats in it. Please reread what i posted. Again with the assumptions.

At least what i'm giving him is far better than most americans give their children. We dont keep processed "cheap" food in the house. He gets fresh fruit and veggies the entire day, and he quite enjoys eggs. If i give him the occassional yogurt popsicle (usually like 2x a week), my child is not going to be some hyped up sugar crazed kid, so really, enough with the judgement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I'm not quite sure your intention for starting this thread, I strongly suspect it's just to tell us all we're obviously doing it wrong. Since all children are different, no one size fits all. Giving a toddler choices is a big way to avoid tantrums. Not unlimited choices, not "what do you want to do today?", but "Should we go to the park or the trail?"

I wish you well in your teaching career, and have no doubt your preconceived ideas on child development and behaviors will be put to the test. The best thing to do is revisit your child development material, and keep an open mind.
I am talking about an open-ended question and NOT two of YOUR choices. I am talking about "Do you want to go now?" Oh hell to the no!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting