Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Goodwin View Post
I am talking about an open-ended question and NOT two of YOUR choices. I am talking about "Do you want to go now?" Oh hell to the no!
I don't get it. I would certainly say "ready to go?" if there was no pressing reason not to stay.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
I am talking about an open-ended question and NOT two of YOUR choices. I am talking about "Do you want to go now?" Oh hell to the no!
And you don't understand the mind of a toddler. Saying "Do you want to go now" is respectful for any normal interaction, be it with a child or an adult. Saying "We are leaving now" is a fine follow-up, but not polite, nor usually necessary. Try it out on your friends some time and see how well it works.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:55 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
And you don't understand the mind of a toddler. Saying "Do you want to go now" is respectful for any normal interaction, be it with a child or an adult. Saying "We are leaving now" is a fine follow-up, but not polite, nor usually necessary. Try it out on your friends some time and see how well it works.

Actually I disagree with this. Don't ask questions that you don't want the answer to. Do you want to go? No. Tough luck, kid. Not so much. I would say It is time to go, we don't want to miss xyz.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:57 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
That's not an open ended question. It's a yes or a no. Obviously if you've asked, you don't mind either way.

What's wrong with asking? Don't you ever get asked that question? I often ask my daughter whether she wants to stay or go elsewhere when we're somewhere, especially if we're going on an outing for her sake, like the park or the library.

Stan is right, kids have very limited options when it comes to making decisions. It's not like you're letting them choose their bedtime or whether they can stay at the bar until two.

I fail to see the horror in that question.

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Actually I do know about what is developmentally appropriate since I have studied Early Childhood Education and am at student teaching level.

Just because you allow your toddler full reign of the fridge does NOT mean it's appropriate! I never said kids can't tell you what they want. I said is it WISE to allow them to call the shots at such a young age?

We have an obesity epidemic among kids these days. Perhaps this is one symptom of it--parents allowing their kids to eat whatever, whenever.
This doesn't make sense. Asking your kid if she wants grapes or banana, or a choice between two muffins, is not going to contribute to the obesity epidemic. Honestly, it seems like you're just looking for a reason to be mean to parents and kids.

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
I agree with you about the open-ended question bit.

The whole "do you want to go now" is about as passive-aggressive as one can get. It is stupid and a waste of time.
If the whole point in asking that question is really to say "are you going to behave yourself so that I don't have to remove you from this restaurant?" just say that.
Better yet, set parameters before you go into the restaurant and remove the child as soon as those parameters are breached.
I wasted so much time with my older kids playing that game. By the time my youngest was born, I knew better and eating out became a wonderful experience for all concerned.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:14 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I don't think a spawn less believer in crystal power and tarot should be giving anyone advice about anything, particularly not early chdhood development.
I was hoping she would address this. It doesn't lend to credibility of her being an expert people should look to for guidance.
Quote:
I was joking but let me tell you something--I am not IN college; I have a degree. "Skills set" is one of those corporate-speak cliches that I detest.
I work for Big Pharma (research rather than admin/business side of things) and skill set is a typical term. It is corporate.
Quote:
I just avoid being part of the masses.
Using the term spawn is actually herd mentality among the angry child-free from what I can tell thus far in my short time on the parenting forum. Another one is breeder, although you didn't use that one.
I think some people are too used to the likes of skippy. I don't know if I will give my kid peanut butter, but it's a staple in my life since I don't consume mammals.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Forgive me if I'm disinclined to take parenting advice from a childless know-it-all who doesn't even know what is and is not an open-ended question.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
LOL--ONCE I have kids? 47--that ship has sailed! Buh-bye, ship!!!
This answers everyone's question.

I'm going with bitter spinster.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:30 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Quote:
Actually I do know about what is developmentally appropriate since I have studied Early Childhood Education and am at student teaching level.

Just because you allow your toddler full reign of the fridge does NOT mean it's appropriate! I never said kids can't tell you what they want. I said is it WISE to allow them to call the shots at such a young age?

We have an obesity epidemic among kids these days. Perhaps this is one symptom of it--parents allowing their kids to eat whatever, whenever.
Please do not go into the field of early childhood education. Anyone that calls young children "spawns" will be miserable in such a field, not to mention that your views about parenting will interfere with your ability to teach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting