U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 11:12 PM

27,539 posts, read 44,178,578 times

Advertisements

The Duggars : Discovery Health's The Duggars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 12:21 AM

3,432 posts, read 1,886,742 times
My mom came from a family of 18 kids, sadly one died.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:27 AM

3,889 posts, read 9,022,923 times
This family has been discussed here before. Someone climing to be an aunt commented, but never answered my question- what's the reason behind the unusual hairstyles of all the kids? The mom, especially, has very high 80's bangs, and their dress is odd as well. Obviously this is not the most important thing in ANY family, but I wonder if this doesn't make it unnecessarily harder for these kids to fit in outside their home. Like it or not, fashion matters to most teens. Don't they stand out enough already?

Old 11-12-2007, 10:21 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,529,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
This family has been discussed here before. Someone climing to be an aunt commented, but never answered my question- what's the reason behind the unusual hairstyles of all the kids? The mom, especially, has very high 80's bangs, and their dress is odd as well. Obviously this is not the most important thing in ANY family, but I wonder if this doesn't make it unnecessarily harder for these kids to fit in outside their home. Like it or not, fashion matters to most teens. Don't they stand out enough already?
According to their website, the Duggars are followers of Bill Gothard's movement, and homeschool and homechurch according to his instructions and principles (google Bill Gothard for more info). They believe that the girls should dress fem and men masculine. The also seem to believe that they shouldn't cut their hair. I think their beliefs incorporate the need to look "different" from the rest of the world

Old 11-12-2007, 10:23 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,598,890 times
I've seen some of the documentaries on Discover about them...they're certainly very weird but seem like nice and earnest people. As long as they're paying their own way I don't care how many kids they have....long as they don't try selling that Jesus stuff at my house.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:53 PM

168 posts, read 1,022,604 times
I'm not a fan of anyone who has that many kids. Imagine the numbers just a couple of generations down the line with that family. I'm not a big "the world is overpopulated" person, but this does start to go down that line for me.

How many is too many? I don't know--that's a grey area, but 17? Not grey anymore...that's too many!

We have 3 kids. Two are biological and one is adopted. We have no fertility issues--we chose to adopt b/c there are many children who need homes out there already. I'm not saying everyone should go do this, but 17 kids??

Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfield View Post
I'm not a fan of anyone who has that many kids. Imagine the numbers just a couple of generations down the line with that family. I'm not a big "the world is overpopulated" person, but this does start to go down that line for me.

How many is too many? I don't know--that's a grey area, but 17? Not grey anymore...that's too many!

We have 3 kids. Two are biological and one is adopted. We have no fertility issues--we chose to adopt b/c there are many children who need homes out there already. I'm not saying everyone should go do this, but 17 kids??
It's too many for you and me, but who are we to tell someone what "too many" is? As long as the kids are well taken care of and loved (which these kids clearly are), what's the harm? It isn't as if 17 children is common.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:24 AM

168 posts, read 1,022,604 times
Well, I think it is too many. The harm is that the earth cannot support procreation like that. Now when people needed large families because of high infant mortality rates and because they were needed to work the farms (as is still the case in many countries)...that I can understand. But to have that many children in this country in this day and age is contributing to overpopulation by leaps and bounds. If they are supporting themselves financially, then it's not AS bad as it would if they were living off welfare or something but to me (my personal opinion) it is not a socially responsible position to have 17 children.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfield View Post
Well, I think it is too many. The harm is that the earth cannot support procreation like that. Now when people needed large families because of high infant mortality rates and because they were needed to work the farms (as is still the case in many countries)...that I can understand. But to have that many children in this country in this day and age is contributing to overpopulation by leaps and bounds. If they are supporting themselves financially, then it's not AS bad as it would if they were living off welfare or something but to me (my personal opinion) it is not a socially responsible position to have 17 children.
I don't think it's responsible either from a resource point of view, but there's no law against it. I don't approve of it myself, but I'm sure they won't lose any sleep over that.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:58 AM

833 posts, read 4,235,603 times
17 kids? My nerves can barely handle two kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting