Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:12 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
The thing that really, really irritates me is when Dads want to protect their daughters virtue at all costs yet encourage and even brag about how much sex their sons are getting.

Who do they think that their sons are having sex with? Obviously, with some other Dad's "precious little angel".

Thankfully, I believe that the double standard isn't as bad as it was years ago.
I agree with this. My Dad always wanted to meet the guys that my sister dated, and he would tell me, "remember, that girl is someone's daughter."

Old 08-05-2013, 12:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
What makes you think the two are mutually exclusive?
Oh, there can be both. But when the daughter is a strong, smart, independent woman Big Daddy has no need for patting the Glock on his thigh because he's been doing his job since she was born. And he knows it. He's the cavalry coming in should it ever be needed. Not the first line of defense.

And there are girls who like Big Daddy patting the Glock when the date comes through the door. To each her own.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh, there can be both. But when the daughter is a strong, smart, independent woman Big Daddy has no need for patting the Glock on his thigh because he's been doing his job since she was born. And he knows it. He's the cavalry coming in should it ever be needed. Not the first line of defense.

And there are girls who like Big Daddy patting the Glock when the date comes through the door. To each her own.
I see what you're saying. I agree that raising strong daughters is the best line of defense and the most important in many ways. I don't have a problem with fathers making it clear that the calvary is on alert though cleaning the gun might be a little more than required.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:44 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
The thing that really, really irritates me is when Dads want to protect their daughters virtue at all costs yet encourage and even brag about how much sex their sons are getting.

Who do they think that their sons are having sex with? Obviously, with some other Dad's "precious little angel".

Thankfully, I believe that the double standard isn't as bad as it was years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I agree with this. My Dad always wanted to meet the guys that my sister dated, and he would tell me, "remember, that girl is someone's daughter."
I was never more proud of my son as when I found out, by accident, several years after the fact, about one of his volunteer activities during college.

He was part of group of college athletes who would go to fraternities and men's dorms and lead discussions on respect towards women, preventing date rape and basically how to treat women. He has a younger sister and had always had close friends who were women and he wanted other men to treat them, and other women, appropriately.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I was never more proud of my son as when I found out, by accident, several years after the fact, about one of his volunteer activities during college.

He was part of group of college athletes who would go to fraternities and men's dorms and lead discussions on respect towards women, preventing date rape and basically how to treat women. He has a younger sister and had always had close friends who were women and he wanted other men to treat them, and other women, appropriately.
Good for him! You should be proud. That's a rare display of respect, wisdom and courage for a college guy to be leading that among peers. I wish there was more of that.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:53 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
I find it really bizarre. As a new dad, people seem to be trying to socialize me into thinking this way. At a recent family gathering an older relative picked up my 1-year-old daughter and said something like, "Wow, she's so beautiful, you'll have to buy her a baseball bat soon!" I completely failed to pick up on the implication, and since my daughter has already shown a clear interest in sports my response was something like, "Yes of course I'm planning to buy her a baseball bat, soccer ball, basketball, etc. depending on what sports she shows interest in." Strangely enough, when I look at my 1-year-old daughter my focus is on nurturing her interests and raising her up to be a strong person rather than teaching her that every man in the world is a rapist who should be bludgeoned.
I like the way you think! You're daughter is lucky to have you as her dad.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:15 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
I'm a first time father with a 4 month old daughter at home. I find it "funny" to picture myself trying to be Mr. Tough Guy with a future boy friend or someone who has potential interest in my daughter at some point way down the road.

All I can do is help educate her as best I can about the "Do's" , "Do not's" , and hopefully surrounds herself with a good group of kids who are respectful and respect each other.

Lets face it... any boy is going to be intimidated by meeting dad so there's no point in trying to put on the Tough Guy act. I won't have a problem telling her though what I think of him... but I'm sure my opinion won't matter especially if I don't like him, LOL!

Old 08-05-2013, 01:46 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I don't get the mentality. My father was pretty hands off about who I dated. He was always warning me about rapist men, but when it came down to it, he trusted my judgment.

Now, part of the reason I don't get the "protect the daughters" mentality is because I'm very protective of everyone in my circle, no matter their gender. I'm a left-wing, anti-death-penalty, rather cuddly chick in my late 30s whom almost everyone likes, but I turn on a dime when I think my family or friends are threatened. I've been told by observers that it's not that I'm that scary, but the 180-degree personality turn is utterly unnerving. I've never been violent, but people have learned that if they cross me with regard to the safety or sanity of my loved ones, I will do everything in my power to right the situation.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:53 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
Seems as though many fathers of daughters want their daughters to be everything that they didn't want their girlfriends to be.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:59 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Especially when it comes to sex. While rape is of course bad, I've heard some parents, fathers especially, for some reason, why say they would kill someone if they raped their daughter. I sort of understand the rage etc they would feel, but how is it right or justifiable to murder someone for rape? Or not even rape, but consensual sex. Or phrases like 'i'll break your leg if you break her heart' (even if metaphorical) that are supposed to sound all family-orientated and noble. To me it just makes them sound like violent jerks.

It seems most people would applaud or encourage such thinking and behaviour, which makes me cynical about human nature in general.
If rape was a death penalty crime would it be less disturbing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting