Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 04:41 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And you get to have an unwilling audience.

More and more restaurants are going with a no-kids policy so I have a feeling that the militant lactators making a public display of breastfeeding will be less and less an issue for those who want to dine-out without these shows.
That is their business. But if they are allowing bottle-feeding, they are obligated by law to allow breastfeeding.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes because one single picture represents how every single woman in America- no, the world!- breastfeeds.
Already responded to but I want to emphasize-there is NO other way to breast feed. You put the baby on, and s/he covers up the breast pretty well. I mean, you can use one of those covers, but they're hardly necessary in most situations.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:02 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm a 45yo grandmother and I believe breastfeeding should be done in private.

My daughter breastfed, and she made it a point to pump her milk before they went anywhere so that the baby could still eat, just out of a bottle. If she ran out and had to feed him, she went out to the car or into the bathroom if it was nice and had somewhere to sit. She was modest about uncovering herself in front of family members at gatherings as well.

I did not raise her to be modest, we took baths together til she started showering, and even today neither one of us has a problem gettring undressed for the pool or beach in front of each other. She also bathes with her kids who are now 4 and 2.

I mean, I get it, in an emergency you gotta do what you gotta do. But honestly, why can't you pump and bottle like other mothers? It's not like you don't get that bonding experience at home when you breastfeed.

I do think that some women seem to enjoy making it such an issue that they purposefully whip that boob out and start feeding their baby, just to see if a ruckus would be caused. For those women, I'd like to know why you would want to expose your breast in public, for any reason, just for attention.
I breast fed both of my children. It is amazing how discreet you can be with the correct tops, nursing bras and a baby blanket. In all my many, many (heck, I'll be honest MANY) months of breast feeding no one (except the baby) ever saw my nipples or my breast.

If I was in public, such as coffee shop or restaurant, I would sit at a back table with my back to the main area. In fact, there were several times, when people came up to me, talked to me, and even patted the baby on the head (through the blanket) and never even realized that the baby was eating at the time.

Forcing a baby to EAT in a dirty smelly bathroom! Moderator Cut

Last edited by Jaded; 08-11-2013 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: Flaming/Argumentative

Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Congratulations!

1) Some children will not breastfeed while covered up. My daughter was one of those.

2) I have never met nor even seen for myself a person who "whips it out".
I nursed my babies until each was three years old. Do you think it would be difficult to keep a three year old covered with a blanket??

Old 08-10-2013, 08:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I nursed my babies until each was three years old. Do you think it would be difficult to keep a three year old covered with a blanket??
Luckily when mine were pushing three they usually could wait until we were home (as breast milk wasn't their main food/liquid) so they wouldn't need to be covered by a blanket in public.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
I nursed one of mine that long, but she did not need to nurse in public at that age because she was eating adult food and drinking water or other beverages. She waited to nurse until we got home by then.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

And the number of babies breastfeed is not equal to the number of births each year. Only 33% of mothers are still breastfeeding at 4 months. and only 16% at 1 year.

And that is a shame really. Perhaps more moms breastfeeding in public will help women to make the choice to breastfeed longer.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
I see that a little differently. For an infant who gets all of his nourishment from breast milk, sometimes feeding in public is necessary. If a 3 year old is hungry, you can hand him a cookie and a sippy cup; or if you are at a restaurant like so many of these scenarios often seem to be, he can order off the menu.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:20 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Moderator Cut

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH FEMALE NUDITY. IT IS WHEN THEY LET IT ALL HANG OUT BEFORE AND AFTER FEEDING, BEYOND WHAT WOULD BE NORMAL. There is a time and place for such times, and sitting in a restaurant or in the middle of the mall is not the time. I would say the same thing about a man who was shirtless in those same instances. I don't mind the majority of mothers who breastfeed in public, do what you want, it does not bother me one bit. Its the ones who use their child as a prop to further their own agenda.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-11-2013 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted/orphaned posts quoted

Old 08-10-2013, 10:42 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Moderator Cut.

One more time. I have no problem with nudity, nor do I have a problem if someone is breastfeeding their child. Are you still with me? I'm cool with nudity and breastfeeding. Its all great, do what you want. Throw a baby on each breast if you want and walk around. If that is what you want to do, more power to you.

I have a problem with those who are not actually breastfeeding their child, but still are exposing their breasts to draw attention to themselves where it may not be the most appropriate place (such as in a restaurant), just waiting for someone to say something so they can further their own agenda and pretend like everyone is against them. Again, not against them breastfeeding, and not against them being exposed while getting baby situated. I just don't like those who use their baby as a prop.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-11-2013 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted/orphaned post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.