Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Well in answering the OP's question #1, some think that because dad pays child, that the teen should not have pay. That mother should. Child support is reverent in that point of view.
No it's not "reverent." It's not even relevant. She mentioned he pays support, she didn't say she lives solely off of it, that was the assumption that was taking the thread off-topic. But thanks for your concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 12:21 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I think your daughter would benefit from a visit or two to a family counselor to help you two get on the same page about communication (since her dad hasn't a clue about it) and to figure out this current life challenge in a positive way!

Old 08-16-2013, 03:36 AM

194 posts, read 300,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Well if that second person is a child and that child is in the custody of the person doing the denying, then yes it can happen.
But the object being denied is not owned by the denier, therefore she has no legal ability to deny.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:58 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktothefuture View Post
But the object being denied is not owned by the denier, therefore she has no legal ability to deny.
Oh brother.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:43 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
Quote:

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2013, 03:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
How old are you?

Old 08-17-2013, 09:12 AM

606 posts, read 903,544 times
For those that aren't aware, liability insurance is required to drive a vehicle in North Carolina. You must prove you have it when you go get your license. Doesn't matter if the car is insured under someone else's policy. The DRIVER of any car has to have insurance. When we added our teenager back in the day our insurance rates over doubled. The first year we had to pay like $1800 just for her! It was insane.

LibrarySue- Our deal with her was that she must pay 50% of the insurance payment. She paid us $75 a month. She paid for her own gas. If I needed her to run an errand for me (which is a nice perk!) I would put some gas in her car. We made her help with the maintenance. Having a husband that is a mechanic, helps in that regard. She would buy the oil, he would change it for her. That kind of thing. The system worked pretty well. Right now she's in college and her insurance is much cheaper now so we are paying the whole amount. She pays for everything else having to do with her car.

I hear you on the child support argument that they sometimes use. One time my youngest daughter wanted a cell phone and said, "well dad pays child support so you should buy me one." We then discussed "needs" vs. "wants" and that she needs, clothing, food, shelter, the electricity that fuels her laptop for school work, etc. A cell phone will become a "need" when I need her to have one. We never had to discuss it again.

and FYI I know we are in the same area so feel free to PM me if you need help with the mechanics portion. DH helps out a lot of my friends and our family members when he's needed.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Some confusion here on the insurance aspect

Liability insurance follows the vehicle.

it follows the driver as well. vehicle insurance is primary, driver secondary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Regarding insurance:

2) The car can, but does not have to, be insured against theft, damages, or collision. There is no legal requirement to carry comprehensive and collision insurance, indeed, I do not carry either on the vehicles that I own. So, the father can give the 2007 to the daughter, and the mother is not required to insure the vehicle for collision or comprehensive. Should the daughter wreck the car, the mom can always tell the dad, well, I told you I wasn't going to carry insurance on it!
The car HAS to be insured somewhere. sure, not for full coverage, but it does have to be listed on someone's policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Thank you for your excellent assessment of the insurance situation.

Daughter needs to be insured in order to drive my car. Her ability to drive a car (my car) is convenient for me. By working part time I will be more available to give her rides and/or share my car with her.

I was not expected to title or insure the car her father gave her. She is employed by his company at his NC office, so although the car he gave her is registered in NY, she is covered to drive it and any other company owned car. (this includes the two cars he has here in NC for his personal use)
So what is the problem again?? I think we all understood that he wanted you to insure the vehicle. If he is insuring the vehicle, and you were always planning on insuring your daughter to make it convenient for her to drive your car, its not costing you an extra cent in insurance that he has given her the car..... where is the disagreement??

Do you want him to contribute to the expense of adding her to YOUR policy so she can drive YOUR car? How is that fair to him? If your daughter gets a restricted license only allowing her to drive fleet vehicles and doesn't get added to your policy, she can drive all of his cars, just not yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting