Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 11:50 AM

340 posts, read 523,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally posted by Amisi
"Most people do their best parenting before they have children"
That's scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 12:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I actually kept most of it.

I decided when I had kids, I was not going to make hair length an issue -- and I have not but my kids seem pretty old-fashioned for the most part. I wasn't going to make bedtimes or the dinner table into battle zones and I haven't. I don't force them to sit at the table, I don't force them to fall asleep just because some clock said something.

Everything else my parents did, I thought was right and I pretty much do the same things.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:08 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Try to control their lives or interfere when they are an adult. Ha! Now my one and only is leaving for college 7 hours away. If I could tether him to me ~ I would!

I have to figure out a way to let go. It's not as easy as I thought when I was busy being annoyed at my mother.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:07 PM

421 posts, read 880,103 times
Most of those quotes are just laziness. I'll critique one-by-one:

1) "Except what I didn’t realise is that it’s really hard for me to sleep through bloodcurdling screaming"

Sleep with earmuffs and close the doors. Problem solved.

2) "Pretty hard if it’s the 4,753rd time you’ve read it that day and if you ever have a stroke it will, no doubt, be the only information you’ll retain."

You don't have to read something 4,753 times. But make sure you spend the time you would have spent reading to your kid in doing something else with your kid.

3) "You know, you just sit there while they have fun. Oh, wait you want to go on the swing? No more swing now? Now the slide? Mommy can’t fit up there but hold on tight….whoa…no, come down now!! That’s too high!! Okay, yes, let’s play in the sand. No, that’s not your truck that’s the little boy’s truck. Give it back, please. No hitting!! Hey, do you want a cookie? The cookies are at home. Okay, let’s go home and get a cookie. Bye park! Kiss my ass until I’ve had another Goodnight Moon stroke and forgotten how horrible you are."

An adult should be able to generate sufficient momentum to swing themselves. I could do so when I was ten years old.

Unless the mother is 300 pounds, she can fit on the slide.

Cities are paranoid these days about getting sued for injuries. If a city park has built something, it's pretty safe. Calm down.

You could easily just remember to pack some cookies.

That whole paragraph boils down to "I have to teach my child not to steal! Too much work!"

4) "I mean, it takes about 3 hours to get ready for 10 minutes of fun. Except I didn’t think of what else I would do to occupy a small child for 3 hours if I wasn’t getting ready for swimming."

Why does it take 3 hours to get ready to go to the pool for 10 minutes?

This was blatant article filler here.

5) "I once threw an open bag of cheesies down the basement stairs to stop my kids from fighting like drunk white girls while I was on a really important phone call. They swarmed it like racoons and ate all the trans fat goodness silently off the floor. I stand by my actions and I’d do it again in a heartbeat."

Or you could have just not gotten on a really important phone call when your kids were home.

And let's be honest. You don't have a really important phone call everyday. If you did, none of the calls would be very important.

6) "Children stand behind you like a 20lb footstool when you’re carrying pots of boiling water, try to throw things down the toilet while you’re cleaning it or take their diaper off and pee down the air vents while you’re taking a shower?!"

If you respected them more and didn't do thing #'s 1-5 to them, maybe they would respect you more.

7) "If I have pants on when I leave the house I consider my appearance to be completely appropriate and should therefore, not be judged."

Oh, I'm sure everyone judges everyone at all times.

I know when I pass by someone, if their appearance is unusual, I make a comment to myself about it. If I'm with anyone else, I'll say it to the group.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:37 AM

75 posts, read 77,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo_pink View Post
Most of those quotes are just laziness.
"Laziness" as the by-product of sheer exhaustion.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:39 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
Jump out of a window
Slash my wrists
Drink poison
Blow my head off
Run away and join a cult
Commit myself to a mental institution

Old 08-18-2013, 08:41 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:

1) "Except what I didn’t realise is that it’s really hard for me to sleep through bloodcurdling screaming"

2) "Pretty hard if it’s the 4,753rd time you’ve read it that day and if you ever have a stroke it will, no doubt, be the only information you’ll retain."

You don't have to read something 4,753 times. But make sure you spend the time you would have spent reading to your kid in doing something else with your kid.

3) "You know, you just sit there while they have fun. Oh, wait you want to go on the swing? No more swing now? Now the slide? Mommy can’t fit up there but hold on tight….whoa…no, come down now!! That’s too high!! Okay, yes, let’s play in the sand. No, that’s not your truck that’s the little boy’s truck. Give it back, please. No hitting!! Hey, do you want a cookie? The cookies are at home. Okay, let’s go home and get a cookie. Bye park! Kiss my ass until I’ve had another Goodnight Moon stroke and forgotten how horrible you are."

An adult should be able to generate sufficient momentum to swing themselves. I could do so when I was ten years old.

Cities are paranoid these days about getting sued for injuries. If a city park has built something, it's pretty safe. Calm down.

That whole paragraph boils down to "I have to teach my child not to steal! Too much work!"

4) "I mean, it takes about 3 hours to get ready for 10 minutes of fun. Except I didn’t think of what else I would do to occupy a small child for 3 hours if I wasn’t getting ready for swimming."

5) "I once threw an open bag of cheesies down the basement stairs to stop my kids from fighting like drunk white girls while I was on a really important phone call. They swarmed it like racoons and ate all the trans fat goodness silently off the floor. I stand by my actions and I’d do it again in a heartbeat."

Or you could have just not gotten on a really important phone call when your kids were home.

And let's be honest. You don't have a really important phone call everyday. If you did, none of the calls would be very important.

6) "Children stand behind you like a 20lb footstool when you’re carrying pots of boiling water, try to throw things down the toilet while you’re cleaning it or take their diaper off and pee down the air vents while you’re taking a shower?!"

If you respected them more and didn't do thing #'s 1-5 to them, maybe they would respect you more.

7) "If I have pants on when I leave the house I consider my appearance to be completely appropriate and should therefore, not be judged."

I know when I pass by someone, if their appearance is unusual, I make a comment to myself about it. If I'm with anyone else, I'll say it to the group.
I'm sorry you completely missed the point of the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Jump out of a window
Slash my wrists
Drink poison
Blow my head off
Run away and join a cult
Perhaps you'd like to read the article in the OP, and then try again?

Old 08-18-2013, 09:15 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:

What we can deduce from your post is that you're single and childless and have a lot of time on your hands. Even on a Saturday night. I'll critique just one of your ..... ummmm..... declarations:

Any parent who is half-way doing their job as a parent is too busy being a parent to notice, let alone comment on, how other people appear.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:18 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Perhaps you'd like to read the article in the OP, and then try again?
OK, I read the article.

Here's my second try:

Jump out of a window
Slash my wrists
Drink poison
Blow my head off
Run away and join a cult

Old 08-18-2013, 11:26 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:

Go ahead and judge me. I'm guessing you are not a parent. Just a wild guess here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting