Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 04:38 PM

61 posts, read 136,955 times

Advertisements

I'm not a parent, yet. But I know that when my child realizes the gender that they're attracted to, it's not going to affect me. I'm attracted to both women and men. I never really knew about gay and bisexual people until I got into high school, but I've never had any objections to it. Love is love in my eyes. The only thing that I'll ever worry about is bullying that my child may get. I'm hoping that I'll be able to raise a child who will be strong enough to make it through any bullying and realize that they just don't understand. I don't want my child to ever think that being gay or bisexual would make them any less of a person. I was never brought up with a religion but my parents were really accepting when I brought home my ex girlfriend. Gay and bisexual acceptance is growing, and hopefully at some point, it'll be like race and not as big of a deal anymore. Who someone is attracted to only affects the people involved in the relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 05:17 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
Moderator Cut

I'm conservative, the libertarian kind not the religious kind. If my son who is two turns out to be gay I would be disappointed for maybe a day or so. A heterosexual father who tells you he wouldn't intially be upset or disappointed if his son was gay is lying. But after that I'd remember what the most important thing is and that is that my son turns out to be a decent human being who treats others with respect, kindness and compassion.

It's sad to see how some are capable of treating their own flesh and blood.
I'm a hetero woman who agrees wholeheartedly with this post. Would it take some getting used to? Yes, it would.

But - I would love my boy no matter WHAT and want him to be a part of my life.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:21 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
I am SO glad and encouraged to see so many positive responses. I was afraid there would be more negative "not in my family" kind of responses. While C-D is by no means a reflection of the total population (although it would be interesting to see breakdown statistics of our users), I am heartened that the majority of the responses so far have been accepting.

I have no idea if my conservative family (Parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles) would ever accept an openly gay family member. The younger generation (my cousins and their children) seem to be far more accepting. We did have one great-aunt who was in the military and never married, whom I suspected was a lesbian. When she died her longtime companion was listed in the obituary so it was finally confirmed, but she was not close to the family and was never out to us.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:36 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,397,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
I am SO glad and encouraged to see so many positive responses. I was afraid there would be more negative "not in my family" kind of responses. While C-D is by no means a reflection of the total population (although it would be interesting to see breakdown statistics of our users), I am heartened that the majority of the responses so far have been accepting.

I have no idea if my conservative family (Parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles) would ever accept an openly gay family member. The younger generation (my cousins and their children) seem to be far more accepting. We did have one great-aunt who was in the military and never married, whom I suspected was a lesbian. When she died her longtime companion was listed in the obituary so it was finally confirmed, but she was not close to the family and was never out to us.

Life is to short too get hung up on such things. We each have 60 maybe 80 years on this planet to find a little peace and happiness so who is one person to tell two other consenting adults that they do not have the right to be together because they are the same sex. It makes no sense to me. As a libertarian I think the golden rule is do whatever you want as long as you're not harming anyone else. Some may argue that homosexual relationships have a negative impact on society. I don't see it that way. In any event I think the predjudic some hold towards homosexuals may be based in the fact that they have never actually met a homosexual. Most likely if they did they'd see how much in common they have with them and their negative feelings would be abated. As individuals we are much, much more than our sexual orientation.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:35 PM

50 posts, read 63,406 times
I don't have children yet but I would like to, and this would not be an issue.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:37 PM

50 posts, read 63,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Here we go again with another poorly disguised thread promoting this tiresome gay agenda thing. I wish people would give it up...it really does not serve any useful purpose...of course we are now going to hear sob stories about how a nasty "conservative" father or mother - rejects and breaks the heart of some poor gay child..how they never spoke to them again ..and how horrible these parents are.
Because they are horrible...

Old 08-19-2013, 06:49 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,003 times
My adult children are all heterosexual, but even if they weren't, it would not effect my relationship with them at all. We are religious. My aunt tried to pushed my cousin into the priesthood because he was gay (he refused) and she never spoke about it. He died of AIDS at 29. Our next door neighbor who was 2 years younger than me went from dating guys to only women when we were in our early 20's. She remained a lesbian the rest of her life. Her Mom loved and accepted her always. She passed last year at 53 from brain cancer, but she did get to marry her partner 3 weeks before she passed away.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:34 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
I went to a PFLAG meeting tonight - they are trying to start up a chapter in our area since the previous one lapsed several years ago. An interesting point made was that years ago parents would come to PFLAG and say "My kid just told me he is gay - how can I fix that/change him?" But now parents are coming to meetings and saying "My kid just told me s/he is gay - how can I keep her safe at school? How can I be supportive?"

I guess things really are changing for the better

Old 08-19-2013, 09:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I will accept and love my children no matter their sexual orientation. My only fear would be the ridicule they might suffer as teens or young adults; and I fear the reaction of certain relatives. I would have no problem cutting ties with those family members in defense of my child.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:57 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I will accept and love my children no matter their sexual orientation. My only fear would be the ridicule they might suffer as teens or young adults; and I fear the reaction of certain relatives. I would have no problem cutting ties with those family members in defense of my child.
I think that is becoming less of an issue to be Honest Kibbie. Kids are more accepting of homosexuality than a lot of adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting