Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:21 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,728,423 times

Advertisements

One of my girls looks just like her daddy, the other one looks like me. Besides having her daddy's golden skin, dark hair, and dark eyes, my oldest is very tall. Her sister is short and solid, with pale pink skin and freckles. A lot of people assume that our girls have different fathers, but they don't usually mention it in front of the hubby, since our oldest so clearly looks just like him. Instead, they'll wait until it's just me and ask, "Was your younger daughter's dad really short?" The first few times someone asked that, it freaked me out. Now I think it's kind of funny, as long as they don't say it within my daughter's hearing, because she is sensitive about being tiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:06 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,387,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
"She's so cute. She must look like her Daddy"

To which I responded "I don't know. I didn't get a good look at his face".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Milkman for me!
+1.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,205,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
... I can see a lot of people looking at me funny when I go out with my younger son.

I honestly cant even imagine anyone judging you or your son regarding how you two look. It isn't even on the list of what I would think when looking at you, and I suspect that YOU think they are looking at you differently because you feel differently.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,788,709 times
When our Korean born daughter became a beautiful teenager and was out with her father he became painfully aware of how people looked at him. I would deliberately walk behind them in malls and shopping to see it for myself and sure enough people were making judgements and some even whispered to a companion while they looked at them in disgust. it really was sad.

Also when she was 19 we adopted 2 babies from Vietnam. She has always looked younger than she is and at 19 looked about 13. She finally told me she just could not be in public with her little sisters because of the way people looked at her. The judgements people jump to can be so hurtful.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:32 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,193,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
When our Korean born daughter became a beautiful teenager and was out with her father he became painfully aware of how people looked at him. I would deliberately walk behind them in malls and shopping to see it for myself and sure enough people were making judgements and some even whispered to a companion while they looked at them in disgust. it really was sad.

Also when she was 19 we adopted 2 babies from Vietnam. She has always looked younger than she is and at 19 looked about 13. She finally told me she just could not be in public with her little sisters because of the way people looked at her. The judgements people jump to can be so hurtful.
That is sad!

Old 08-22-2014, 02:12 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,523,152 times
When my youngest came out with blond hair and blue eyes, I was the one giving out curious looks.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:50 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,575,382 times
Good one, kudzu!

Old 08-23-2014, 10:44 AM

421 posts, read 553,708 times
I know this is an old post, but I had a funny happening once. I was trying to pick my daughter up from summer camp and it was taking a long time. I was worried a bit and started walking back to the room they were in calling her name. And a man came up and tried to give me someone else's kid. I scanned the room and saw my daughter looking very concerned. I walked up to her and picked her up.

The man was more then embarrassed, and apologized profusely (my daughter had come up when he called her name but he told her she wasn't the right girl and sent her away). But what mortified him was he was a man of color and was adopted by white parents and couldn't believe he would have made that mistake.

No one was scarred for life, I kind of think of it as funny (the interesting kind, not the haha kind)...as much as the world is changing, peoples expectations are often predictable.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:02 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,269,128 times
No I have not run into issues although neither of my children look like me (and I am the mother). But I would like to see myself in there somewhere

Can see it would be remarkable if a blond or redhead popped up in dark parents, but it happens. That chromosome soup mixes as it will.

And both my children have changed their looks completely as they have aged/matured.

maybe the issue if there is one would be in the young years and once they attain some age and maturity they become themselves.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:10 AM

1 posts, read 593 times
My oldest son looks nothing like me, was once asked if my best friend was his mother. My youngest looks just like me so no issues there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting