Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:04 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times

Advertisements

When my daughter was 7 and my son was 5, my son asked about specific questions about where babies come from. I found out that day that my daughter had already been told by the child of a close family friend.

I guess I'm saying that just because she's 8 doesn't mean you have a while. She could have already been given (mis)information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 10:07 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,855,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
When my daughter was 7 and my son was 5, my son asked about specific questions about where babies come from. I found out that day that my daughter had already been told by the child of a close family friend.

I guess I'm saying that just because she's 8 doesn't mean you have a while. She could have already been given (mis)information.
I've talked to all three of my kids quite a bit, I was just referring to puberty. A 'while' could be just a couple years though.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:55 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Quote:
The sex and everything else we spoke about since I told her it is very uncomfortable
I think there is a danger in lying like this. For example, she may think that if what she is doing feels good it is not be possible to get pregnant! Or she may think that you are not an accurate source of information .

Old 08-28-2013, 06:50 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I too was quite alarmed that this mother would tell her daughter it is "very uncomfortable". This will give her some hang ups down the road. We all know there are times when it can be uncomfortable but as a rule that is certainly not the case and if it were women all over the world and through the ages wouldn't be doing it and enjoying it.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:39 AM

176 posts, read 520,723 times
Quote:
The sex and everything else we spoke about since I told her it is very uncomfortable ...
Simplistic example, but you get the idea:

Mom says "if you eat that junk food you will get sick" but you don't. Nix Mom's scare-factor-advice on junk food foods.
Mom says "if you don't do your homework you will flunk" but you don't flunk. Nix Mom's scare-factor-advice on homework.
Mom says "if you play in the rain you will catch a cold" but you don't. Nix Mom's scare-factor-advice on playing.

So now Mom says in her scare-factor-advice method that "sex is uncomfortable", but her boyfriend is telling her it will be wonderful and that he "loves" her and she can prove she "loves" him. Wonder who she will listen to?

Old 08-29-2013, 04:46 AM

452 posts, read 897,999 times
LOL- sex is not comfortable and that was not what was said but seeing a boyfriend that is no longer your boyfriend walking down the hall hand in hand with another girl is in the teenage years. Uncomfortable can be in many different ways and when teenagers get involved in sex at to young of age the physical part is the least of any worries as long as they are well informed (using protection for both parties). It is the aftermath especially if the boy or girl did not have good intentions or feelings hurt. Social media portraying the girl as not reputable or the boy not performing up to par the uncomfortable comes into play here. Or when some parents put an emphasis on sex and say gotta luv this from when I was growing up "You will know because when it happens you will see fireworks". I spoke to my daughter about the aftermath, we think only about the first time but what about the aftermath?

What about when the boy/girl breaks the hearts whom will they listen to then?

The only way a teenager learns is by failing without failing you never know what it feels like to win. The same goes for loving if you never love you never live but it does mean that you love everyone you come into contact with. Therefore, you pick and choose whom will be the first one to "deflower" you and this power is given away only once in your life so choose wisely!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:02 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,820,528 times
There is no harm in talking about sex.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:09 PM

176 posts, read 520,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
The sex and everything else we spoke about since I told her it is very uncomfortable and boys will do whatever they can to get to be the first one with her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
LOL- sex is not comfortable and that was not what was said but seeing a boyfriend that is no longer your boyfriend walking down the hall hand in hand with another girl is in the teenage years. Uncomfortable can be in many different ways and when teenagers get involved in sex at to young of age the physical part is the least of any worries as long as they are well informed (using protection for both parties). It is the aftermath especially if the boy or girl did not have good intentions or feelings hurt.
If you mean that the aftermath of having had sex with a high school boyfriend can be painful when the boy is seen later on with another girl, I can see your point. Ditto for a guy who pours his heart and money into a relationship, and the girl dumps him for someone else. Looking back on the relationship and feeling "taken advantage of" can be hurtful to anyone.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I have done this, many times at school, with girls who were mentally retarded. I stayed on the topic of self care, hygiene, products to use, how to keep track on a calendar, if they were cognitive enough for that. Some, we worked using a calendar box.

My job was not to discuss sex education, so I stayed within the parameters of my job, which was self care.

I also explained periods to boys who were mentally retarded. While this may not impact them, they should be knowledgeable about this issue. And have enough maturity to not act inappropriately about it.

Now, while I never discussed sex education...I did discuss that young women should never take off their panties around men. And if a man ever asked that, or touched them there, they should tell me. And they would never be in trouble.

In my state, sex education was left to parents to discuss. And they did a pretty poor job of it, if you ask me, especially with children in Special Education.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:34 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have done this, many times at school, with girls who were mentally retarded. I stayed on the topic of self care, hygiene, products to use, how to keep track on a calendar, if they were cognitive enough for that. Some, we worked using a calendar box.

My job was not to discuss sex education, so I stayed within the parameters of my job, which was self care.

I also explained periods to boys who were mentally retarded. While this may not impact them, they should be knowledgeable about this issue. And have enough maturity to not act inappropriately about it.

Now, while I never discussed sex education...I did discuss that young women should never take off their panties around men. And if a man ever asked that, or touched them there, they should tell me. And they would never be in trouble.

In my state, sex education was left to parents to discuss. And they did a pretty poor job of it, if you ask me, especially with children in Special Education.
Sadly that tends to be a reality with a lot of parents in states with no sex education programs. They also have higher than average teen pregnancy rates as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting