Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 05:32 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,956,757 times

Advertisements

My stepson, whom I am raising as my own is pressuring me into having a sibling. So is my SO. Basically my SO says the little boy needs a sibling & so does the little one. I am not willing to succumb to swelling feet, stretchmarks, giving up wine etc. On the other hand, when S0 & I pass I realise that my little boy would benefit from a sibling. Personally I do NOT want to go through a pregnancy, which is the reason why I chose to go with a SO with a child & a deceased spouse in the first place then I can get a kid & no ""baby mama drama"".

Do I have the obligation that my ""son"" gets a sibling because he & daddy want one or do I have to stand my ground?

Other thing I forgot to mention is that my health tests look good on paper yet I'm always as sick as a dog. I mentioned in another thread I was always healthy till I went on the Mirena. I wonder if its the cause.

Since I'm not DESPERATE to have a kid, it would kill me to have a disabled kid, which is a possibility seeing I'm always sick.
Please help!!

In summary, does it make sense to have another kid not so much that you want one, but that you want your kid to have siblings? In a nutshell I think this is what my post is about.

Last edited by angrymillionaire; 08-27-2013 at 05:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 05:40 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
You sound too young and/or immature to have a child...

Pressured by a stepson to reproduce ??
Really?

Old 08-27-2013, 05:43 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,956,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You sound too young and/or immature to have a child...

Pressured by a stepson to reproduce ??
Really?

What I meant is, do people have kids for ""siblings factor"" not so much that you want a child but that your kid has siblings?

Old 08-27-2013, 05:53 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,753,223 times
Do not have a child. You're not emotionally or mentally ready to take this on. A step child cannot force you to have a child. You refer to your " SO" , not your husband which means that the deeper commitment to marriage is not even there yet.

Stand your ground. This is not the right time for you to have a child. Maybe your thoughts will change in the future. You'll know it if it happens. In the meantime, avoid pregnancy.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:23 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times
If you don't want the child then no don't have one. You likely will take the resentment you end up feeling out on that child.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
My stepson, whom I am raising as my own is pressuring me into having a sibling. So is my SO. Basically my SO says the little boy needs a sibling & so does the little one. I am not willing to succumb to swelling feet, stretchmarks, giving up wine etc. On the other hand, when S0 & I pass I realise that my little boy would benefit from a sibling. Personally I do NOT want to go through a pregnancy, which is the reason why I chose to go with a SO with a child & a deceased spouse in the first place then I can get a kid & no ""baby mama drama"".

Do I have the obligation that my ""son"" gets a sibling because he & daddy want one or do I have to stand my ground?

Other thing I forgot to mention is that my health tests look good on paper yet I'm always as sick as a dog. I mentioned in another thread I was always healthy till I went on the Mirena. I wonder if its the cause.

Since I'm not DESPERATE to have a kid, it would kill me to have a disabled kid, which is a possibility seeing I'm always sick.
Please help!!

In summary, does it make sense to have another kid not so much that you want one, but that you want your kid to have siblings? In a nutshell I think this is what my post is about.
There are several parts to your question.

1) there is value in giving a first child a sibling. I won't get into the specifics of my family, but I think siblings are valuable. After you are gone, they still have each other.

2) Not wanting to deal with stretch marks and giving up wine are not good reasons to not have a baby. Then again, that statement says a lot about you and your mentality that make me think you should not have a baby.

3) If this is important to your SO, perhaps you should part ways so you can find people who are a better match.

4) how would you being sick cause you to have a disabled child?

5) no, of course you are not obligated to have a baby if you don't want one. See # 2.

ETA I had some issues with my first pregnancy, birth, postpartum depression, and the child himself. I wasn't aching to do it all over again, but I did because I wanted him to have a sibling.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
What I meant is, do people have kids for ""siblings factor"" not so much that you want a child but that your kid has siblings?
Yes, but I wanted the first one enough to have one in the first place. You don't want one at all. That's different.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,809,810 times
You mentioned Mirena... isn't there a recall or warning regarding that?

No, you're not obligated to have a child for ANY reason. If you don't want to, don't. Of course, your SO may deem it deal breaker. Be prepared for that.

By the way, how old is stepson?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
. Basically my SO says the little boy needs a sibling
Does your SO also think his son needs a legal mom, or are you just to produce kids for them?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,448 times
How long have you been together? Do you want to get married?

I wouldn't do it. I would also tell your "SO" that his child discussing the two of you having another baby is inappropriate, specially if you have said no already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting