Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 02:48 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times

Advertisements

You can be allergic to anything, my brother was allergic to mushrooms which is one I never heard of otherwise. But I think sometimes people say they are allergic to something when they just really don't like it, like my friend who said she was allergic to vegetables and wouldn't eat them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 03:08 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
My three nieces... age 8, 10 and 12 swim competitively year round in California... rain or shine in an outdoor pool.

Some of the healthiest girls I know and really excel in school and activities.

I tend to think they over do on the sports end... their parents played collegiate sports and told their girls if they work hard... swimming, soccer and volleyball could pay their way through college...

Time will tell...

They were out swimming in the low 40's and think nothing of it...

Old 08-28-2013, 03:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Dirt isn't what it used to be.

Superfund Sites Where You Live | Superfund | US EPA

We found out a year after we bought out house that the dry cleaner over 3 miles away had dumped some seriously nasty stuff into an underground aquifer that plumed out in every direction for miles. We had all of our soil removed down three feet, and now only garden in raised beds with plastic liners with fresh soil.

That being said, I let me kid get dirty, but you have to be savvy about what you pick. Example, when I was a kid, we drank out of the hose. Well, those were rubber hoses, now they are pvc and have all sorts of heavy metals in them. Another, my daughter started to show allergy symptoms to the family cat, so we got another cat and a dog. Kids who are exposed to multiple types of pet dander tend to have less allergies to it.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:32 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Seems like I remember seeing some news about how overused hand sanitizers are and how these as well as other super germ killing practices are contributing to sicker kids. Anybody know what I'm talking about.

Robyn, epilepsy , I think is a misfiring in the brain. No? That isn't caused by germs but rather some physiological abnormality or injury. I hope I have that right. Please educate me if I'm wrong and lupus and arthritis and other autoimmune diseases can hit anybody at any time. When I think of "healthy kids" I tend to think of respiratory diseases and stomach problems caused by germs. Are autoimmune diseases caused by germs or viruses?

Playing in the dirt of course also means kids outside in fresh air maybe more than kids who play more inside. I think it would also mean kids who get more exercise than inside kids.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:50 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,115 times
Nice! I grew up playing in the dirt, catching mice and tree frogs, picking mushrooms, doing underwater handstands in a filthy fish-farm pond.... Life was good. Still is.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:00 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
if you're to scared give em to daddy.. this is how he returns them...for mommy to clean

Old 08-28-2013, 07:05 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
I used to eat dirt.

I know this because it is a family legend. I used to trail around my mother as a tiny baby stuffing the dust into my mouth as she swept.

Once I stuffed a marble in there and nearly choked.

Yes I am bizarrely healthy, fit, with no disease or illness at nearly 50.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
George Carlin said it best:

George Carlin - fear of germs - YouTube

Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times
Mine have been playing outdoors, ALONE, in a fenced-in area on our private property, since they were 2 & 4 years old (they're now 4 & 6). I don't care if it's 45 degrees or 95 degrees, out they go. If it's cold, there are gloves & hooded jackets; if it's hot, there is water & Popsicles. All they need is the dirt & a shovel with a bucket or two, and they're fine. The "Little Tykes" slide, tire swing & swing-set are extra bonuses, & if I'm with them there's an Intex 15x4 pool to cool off in during the summer. (They can swim in 8 feet deep water without a life jacket, no formal lessons were needed either, but I still think it's best that someone be there or at least in a room with a window looking out.)

LRH

Old 08-30-2013, 08:53 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Boys also. The more antigens kids are exposed to at an early age, the better -- but also a lot of common household chemicals including pesticides are very dangerous and even carcinogenic.

Depending on one's religious views, we evolved in dirt or were created from it - our bodies can handle dirt, they cannot handle some of the man-made chemicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting