Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2013, 08:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
So we can't add on a room because it isn't our house. Lol!! Hopefully in the near future we will be moving into our own home again and things will be a bit more comfortable for all of us.
I hope 2014 brings you back to your home or a new home. I live above a flood zone and it's heartbreaking. I founded a nonprofit organization to secure long-term-temporary housing for flood victims because I was shocked to learn that the big nonprofits---Red Cross, Goodwill, etc.---only provide shelter for a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 12:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My question was for the OP since she's the one who was pushing her unmarried pregnant daughter out of the house. My parents made decisions on where we lived and what rooms we shared. We understood we were to rise to the occasion. That's a family working together to problem solve. Parents today are letting the lunatics run the nuthouse.
wow -really? "Parents today"?

My only point was that there were multiple people in this family to consider so calling it a "no brainer" wasn't really fair.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Thank you!!

Yes, it will be a Merry Christmas. It just gets better. I truly love my kids. The other two kids talked and they decided to room together so my daughter and the baby will take my other daughter's room. None of them wanted to see the family room go. We spend a lot of time in there and love it.

I can't believe how they're coming together to support each other. I am so very proud of them. I never would have asked them to do this and they did it on their own. This was the child that was against the whole thing that initiated the plan.

I will have more updates in the next couple of weeks. The holidays just came up so fast!!

Thank you for checking in and Merry Christmas!!!
Wow -- your kids sound like really great kids.

And next Christmas will be even better with the new little one there to help everyone enjoy it more.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:44 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
We are a family that has been through five floods. Yes, FIVE!!! On number five, my husband and I couldn't take it anymore. We left. We mitigated of course but that means demolition and disinfection plus mold remediation. Then we called an attorney and locked the doors behind us. So until something ever works out, which hopefully 2014 will be the year, we are renting a home.
Wow, you have really had your share of bad luck!

I must say that I am pleased at the way things are unfolding for you, your daughter, and the rest of the family. It says a lot about your family that everyone seems to be trying to pull together. I wish all of you a happy holiday.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:16 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
It is vital that she finishes school. Take out student loans if necessary to pay for childcare. I have a friend that did this throughout college and then medical school (!) by herself and she is now a successful MD and went into research vs being a regular doctor so she could be with her child more. I have another friend who got an MBA from Columbia with a 2yr old on her own using loans.

To me finishing school has to be the number one priority for the long term success of this family.

Do NOT take out student loans. Disastrous idea for these kids at this stage of their lives. Try for grants or free aid - but don't take out loans. And don't dare cosign a loan for them.

College students with MBAs are flipping burgers for 9 bucks an hour. Unless your daughter is capable of making it into an Ivy League school and getting a high demand professional degree - it isn't worth it. She could make a better living as a hair stylist.

Instead, she should pay her way through a good two year program, one semester at a time, to get a decent paying job that will enable her to save some money to pay for a four year degree later on IF she wants one. But heck, a lot of two year tech skills pay as much or more than teachers earn.

Now isn't the time to go to college. It's not a job seekers market, unemployment is too high and the economy is too shaky. The man can weld - he'll make a good living working days. Keep your living expenses very low, save money and pay for the college later when you've got it saved and the baby is older.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:30 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
If you are renting, then how about moving to a larger house with a different layout? I'm sure your choices are fairly limited, due to the need to keep the younger kids in their same schools, but you've also got time to look, and to let it be known that you are seeking a house in the area with a fourth bedroom far from the other rooms. For instance, a split with a fourth BR on the family room floor. Or a ranch with an attic BR. Or a colonial with a room over the garage. Or a house with a finished basement. Best of all would be a house with a mother in law apartment attached. There are lots of possibilities. You can keep moving costs low by renting a truck and doing it yourselves - after all, you've got five capable adult sized people to do it, without even asking friends and relatives for help. My point is that you are not tied to this house, and you need more space now. You cannot wait on compensation for the house in the floodplain, which may never come - after all, the house was built in a flood prone area. I strongly agree that your daughter needs your help and support, and the best way to provide that support without it being to the detriment of your younger girls is to move to a house with enough space.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:19 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
No there will not be any compensation from our old house. We aren't waiting on anything as far as that goes. We just need to get it settled out. We won't be able to buy another until we are set free from that one.

We're locked into a lease for a while and will make do.

When the lease is up we will either find another rental or hopefully be in a position to buy another home.

I shouldn't have been so emotional when she first told me. I should have taken a step back and realized that we have been through so much as a family and I really don't think there is anything we can't handle.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:24 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
I shouldn't have been so emotional when she first told me. I should have taken a step back and realized that we have been through so much as a family and I really don't think there is anything we can't handle.
Please don't beat yourself up over your original reaction to your daughter's "news". An unexpected situation such as this would throw many parents for a loop. I'm just glad that things seem to be falling into place...for now. Best of luck to all.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:36 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
How are you doing jersey719? Been thinking about you and your daughter.
Happy new year!

Old 01-14-2014, 07:37 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
All I've heard are excuses. My neighbors 16/17 year old just had a baby and the babies father, her boyfriend lives with them now. His wife sleeps on the couch, the baby and daughter and boyfriend sleep in the dining room. My neighbors grandmother is even currently staying with them and is sleeping in his daughters room.

They're making it work, you could too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting