Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 02:03 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times

Advertisements

I don't have a maid, but my 3 year old gets very excited over taking the garbage out every morning (obviously the smaller stuff) and toss the recycling (just watch for the sharp edges). He also loves to sort the socks laundry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 02:20 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I don't have a maid, but my 3 year old gets very excited over taking the garbage out every morning (obviously the smaller stuff) and toss the recycling (just watch for the sharp edges). He also loves to sort the socks laundry.
Give it a few years. My son and daughter used to love to help us hand wash dishes when they were 4 and 5. Now at 12 and 13, it takes an Act of Congress to get them to put their freaking dishes in the dish washer.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:31 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Give it a few years. My son and daughter used to love to help us hand wash dishes when they were 4 and 5. Now at 12 and 13, it takes an Act of Congress to get them to put their freaking dishes in the dish washer.

If you want to eat and have a warm bed to sleep in, you contribute doesn't work?

Old 09-06-2013, 02:42 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
I actually got rid of our housekeeper the day my daughter said, "I don't have to straigten up my room, XXXX will do it." There are only 3 of us and I think we ought to be able to keep up with the housework. I don't enjoy doing it, but on a philosophical level I think we should all be responsible for the messes we make, even when working full time and/or going to school.

I don't expect everyone (anyone?) to agree with me, but it is how I feel about it.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Reminds me of my brother. He used to be obsessed with cleaning when he was 2-3. My parents actually had to discourage him from some of the cleaning. I remember them telling him that Windex and other cleaners were only for 4 and up. He was so excited on his 4th birthday since he was able to use Windex. Now he is a teenager, and all that excitement about cleaning is long gone. He'll empty the dishwasher, and clean his dishes. But that is about it.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:59 PM

501 posts, read 933,059 times
Quote:
I actually got rid of our housekeeper the day my daughter said, "I don't have to straigten up my room, XXXX will do it."
This is my fear.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:11 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I actually got rid of our housekeeper the day my daughter said, "I don't have to straigten up my room, XXXX will do it." There are only 3 of us and I think we ought to be able to keep up with the housework. I don't enjoy doing it, but on a philosophical level I think we should all be responsible for the messes we make, even when working full time and/or going to school.

I don't expect everyone (anyone?) to agree with me, but it is how I feel about it.
I agree with you!

I only used a maid service intermittently. I admit, I did the bulk of cleaning up the bedrooms and bathrooms in our home, although my sons did help out a lot with yard work. it seems what made the biggest impression on them was that the house was kept tidy. Maybe not pristine, but my standards aren't that high. They all complained about their college roommates being slobs. Well I'd probably describe them the same way when they were home, but somehow they recognized what a clean-enough house looked like, and how to get it.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:16 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
We solved this problem when i was once too sick to keep house and DH was busy caring for me and my crazy live-in mother plus 2 kids.

We hired a nice woman to clean house every week during the summer. The kids ( 8 and 10)were home from school and I asked her to please supervise the kids while they worked along side her. I also asked her to only check up after they cleaned their own rooms. Now I know this wouldn't work with every cleaner but this woman was more than willing to help us out. She had kids about the same age so she recognized what we were trying to do. By the time school started, we had her come every other week while the children filled in between visits.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:19 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
My wife and I have decided that we do not have time to clean our house, and will will be contracting with a cleaning service to clean it.

However, it is important to me that our child learn chores and responsibility. I did not learn how to do chores as a child and I struggle with them even today. I don't want to make the same mistake.

But, with having a cleaning service, I'm puzzled to how she will learn chores.

What do other parents in similar situations do to ensure their children will learn responsibility?
Did I write this post? We're in the same boat and I'm not happy about it. Why do I have to hire a cleaning lady when I have a wife and four kids (all girls 14, 11, 9, and 5)? My kids are total slobs. Their rooms look like crap, clothes everywhere, paper dishes, candy wrappers, lights left on, closet doors left open.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:21 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,821,113 times
Chores, chores, chores. Totally overrated stuff that is not even good. And I heard the maid does some things and the kids do some things, do the parents do anything?

But kids chores are not really good. Some parents wayyy over do it. I mean, I've heard some parents say their kids need to mow the lawn, do the dishes, mop the floors, etc. THAT'S WAY TOO MUCH WORK!!!! One kid does the vacuuming, one does the sweeping, that's the way to do it! And don't assign chores, just ask for help occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting