Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:26 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,241,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMom View Post
My daughter came home today and demanded that we start buying her name brands, claiming that "EVERYONE (emphasis added) has Uggs, iphones, etc." Is this just typical middle school behavior?
Put the kid in private school. Moderator Cut.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-10-2013 at 02:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 11:26 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
My daughter came home today and demanded that we start buying her name brands, claiming that "EVERYONE (emphasis added) has Uggs, iphones, etc." Is this just typical middle school behavior?
That's nice.
They can demand crap when they pay their own bills.

How to deal?
Explain that fact to her and then refuse to entertain further discussion.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Demanding? No. Testing you out, perhaps a little whining? Yes. We lived in a super nice part of town and my kids didn't have cell phones. They had some name brand clothes and some not. Later, they drove older cars. We always felt like it built character. It also enabled us to pay for important things like their college education. Perhaps we just lucked out, but they had zero problems fitting in with their peers. Anywho, I'd say no to the phone and give her a pair of Uggs (or knock offs) for Christmas, but that's your choice.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:36 AM

823 posts, read 1,055,294 times
"They can demand crap when they pay their own bills."
My hunch is that might be right around the time they stop coming home to visit because they no longer have to be subject to their parents' controlling ways. As irritating and disrespectful as her outburst is, this is when parents need to try to be the bigger person. She's just started middle school. Wrapped up in the demands and the attitude is a swirling mess of emotions - fear of the new, fear of being left out or ostracized, of not fitting in, jealousy, anger, fear of growing up, fear of not growing up. The more you can approach her with understanding and compassion and a focus on empowering her to solve her own problems, the more sway and influence you will have with her as she becomes a teenager - when you will really need it.

You could try suggesting a do-over with her, so that if she's willing to try a different, calmer approach, you'd be willing to discuss with her. I'm not saying that parents should be buying their kids' affections through material goods, but the child does have to wear clothes, why not at least talk with them about what they need, how much there is to spend on clothing, what they'd like to wear and what compromises they would be willing to make?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:11 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
I would hazard a guess that your daughter just wants the boots for the brand name. If you know how to sew, you could just buy some caramel-colored boots with fur and then sew in the words "UGG Australia" on the side in brown thread. Or you could give in to her demand for either an iPhone or UGGs, but not both. Life is full of choices, really.
I never really understood why parents who can afford these type of goods choose to withhold them from their children. I mean, you don't have to buy them everything, but come on.
I wonder what "afford" means. For my money $200 for a pair of fur boots that are going to pack out in a year is absurd, especially when the point is the absurd price. The point is two fold, paying the right price for the product. And that keeping up withe Joneses is a wasted effort and a waste of money for the petty and silly.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:48 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,241,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
keeping up withe Joneses is a wasted effort and a waste of money for the petty and silly.
Indeed.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I wonder what "afford" means. For my money $200 for a pair of fur boots that are going to pack out in a year is absurd, especially when the point is the absurd price. The point is two fold, paying the right price for the product. And that keeping up withe Joneses is a wasted effort and a waste of money for the petty and silly.
Yeah, $200 boots are not happening in this house. I'm floored when I see girls in elementary school--little girls of seven or eight--wearing Uggs. However, we did just splurge on some adorable fringed moccasin wedges from Minnetonka for the 12th-grader for half that, and she has a Android phone. She wants an iPhone because all her friends have one. We told her she could buy it herself, and she has a job. Apparently she has more pressing things to spend her hard-earned money on. So do we!

Old 09-09-2013, 07:11 AM

530 posts, read 1,163,100 times
My middle school daughter needed boots last year, and she mentioned Uggs. I had never heard of them. We looked at the price. I said they are too expensive, and so we bought different boots. Believe it or not...her friends did not abandon her because she had different boots--even her wealthy friends.

I was raised by parents who taught us the value of a dollar. I will spend a little more money for quality or to buy a reasonably priced popular brand--but not for fads. I think it is important for pre-teens and teens to learn how to spend money wisely. It is rarely wise to spend money to just keep up with the Joneses (as other people have said). I would not even want my kids to be friends with others who judge people by the name brands they wear since it is such a shallow way to view others. There are students in middle school who care more about the personality of their friends than what they wear or the phone they carry. They are the ones I would like my kids to befriend.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:38 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yeah, $200 boots are not happening in this house. I'm floored when I see girls in elementary school--little girls of seven or eight--wearing Uggs. However, we did just splurge on some adorable fringed moccasin wedges from Minnetonka for the 12th-grader for half that, and she has a Android phone. She wants an iPhone because all her friends have one. We told her she could buy it herself, and she has a job. Apparently she has more pressing things to spend her hard-earned money on. So do we!
By 12th grade, she is not necessarily going to grow put of them in a season!

Old 09-09-2013, 07:41 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Well, I think it is typical, but I'm firmly in the camp of "I don't give a crap." when my kids want something they don't need. They need an iPhone at that age like a cat needs a bike. We got both of them a cell phone that pretty makes makes and receives calls. No texting, no web, just a phone. If they have a problem with that, I don't care. We get name brands on sale from time to time and I do think many of them last longer. However, they both go through shoes so fast, it makes absolutely no sense to get them anything expensive.

I don't even know what an Ugg is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting