Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 07:28 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Most up-to-date pediatricians, as well as the WIC program, are discouraging the use of sippy cups- especially those that have the non-spill seals in them- they encourage the child to keep sucking on something to get the liquid, instead of developing the ability (physically and logically) to drink out of a "real" cup.
I guess I would agree with that statement actually, except I don't want to have milk all over the house. To be honest, he doesn't want to drink much milk anyway unless I actually put the bottle in his mouth and hold it there.
I took the non spill seal stopper out this morning, but still a no go. We'll keep trying, but as he is only 1, I'm certainly willing to give him time. He's not even walking yet so I'd rather work on that with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 11:33 AM

788 posts, read 2,111,238 times
We had to get our last one to go cold turkey - she is sooooo stubborn. We finally just had to give her the sippy cup and throw out all of the bottles. After 3 days she finally gave in and was fine - but it was a struggle!!

Maybe have Santa give him the cups - something cool like that - he may be too young - but my bf had the easter bunny give the cups - worked like a charm.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:46 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,567 times
Maybe he isnt ready. Who cares what the pediatrician says. Your son will learn soon enough so don't stress over it.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:07 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times
I think he's old enough to drink from a regular cup, without a lid. Just have him drink it at the table (or in his highchair, wherever he eats). You could get a set of the Tupperware 'bell' cups-they have matching lids that are just an opening (no valves or internal workings). My kids learned to use those cups both with and without the lids. They were all off the bottle by one year.

I did use the non-spill sippys when we were out and about, but at home, I usually used regular cups. Sure, we had many little spills, it's ok. Just don't put much in the cup to start with.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:59 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
I was food shopping recently, went to the baby isle to find toys for my son's friend's son. I ended up finding a top that goes on a water bottle by Gerber Graduates. You can see them here

He's 11 months old and loves using it. I actually went back & got two more, one for the mom & one to stash in case she loses it.

btw, I paid $1.99 for one

Old 11-17-2007, 11:31 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I would go directly to a regular glass, as others have said. The sippy cup should only be used when the baby isn't sitting still, like when you're out somewhere. A 1 year old is totally ready to get off the bottle for the most part.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:17 PM

12 posts, read 26,527 times
Throw away every bottle in the house. If he or she gets thirsty, they will drink form the cup

Old 11-17-2007, 05:14 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,196 times
I actually had a cup in the bath with him last night. It was right in front of him sitting upright, and he picked it up and put it to his mouth...and then ofcourse instead of doing a drinking thing...he bit the edge of the cup I rinsed it out and put some clean water in it, and he let me help him drink from it. That may be what we end up doing.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:35 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,890 times
I got some new cups that don't have the plastic insert inside them but they are still spill proof. They are made by First years. The cups have Thomas on the outside of them and were a big hit. What made me get them was the fact that it didn't have the inserts. I had trouble with those molding in the past. Icky.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:54 PM

273 posts, read 1,338,807 times
hey I'm 25 and I'm still on the nipple. Aint nothin wrong with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting