Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:47 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,123,952 times

Advertisements

Now I can totally see why some women put a hit out on their ex-husbands. Wow. What a scumbag. He does all that to avoid taking care of his own children. I like the idea of passing out fliers to ruin his business. Heck, ight even start a website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They have all those enforcement measures in Pennsylvania too. But they won't garnish wages of business owners because the business account is used to make payroll, pay vendors, etc. They can't seize tax refunds because he always ensures he owes taxes via paying low quarterly estimates. The only thing they can go after him for is his business licenses----but only after missing 3 payments in a row. When he's just at the end of three months, he'll send in a payment or partial payment just in time. They can't put liens on property because all of the property is in his new wife's name even though she's a SAHM who hasn't ever worked since marrying him.

My girlfriend made a big mistake by not taking him for half of everything they owned, including half the business. She said, "All I want is for you to help take care of the kids."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:00 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,226,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They have all those enforcement measures in Pennsylvania too. But they won't garnish wages of business owners because the business account is used to make payroll, pay vendors, etc. They can't seize tax refunds because he always ensures he owes taxes via paying low quarterly estimates. The only thing they can go after him for is his business licenses----but only after missing 3 payments in a row. When he's just at the end of three months, he'll send in a payment or partial payment just in time. They can't put liens on property because all of the property is in his new wife's name even though she's a SAHM who hasn't ever worked since marrying him.

My girlfriend made a big mistake by not taking him for half of everything they owned, including half the business. She said, "All I want is for you to help take care of the kids."
That's just ridiculous the amount of loop holes they allow.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:07 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,215,153 times
I get 152 euros a month, its the minimum legally allowed. He refused to pay so the State pays it to me and they then take it out of his unemployment benefit (I think).

Old 09-10-2013, 07:40 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,511,298 times
In New York State - 17% of gross income for the first child. State income tax refund seizures, liens, asset freezing and wage garnishment are among the tools to encourage deadbeats.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:53 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,635,044 times
Its been a few years since I was paying so i can't remember the exact figures...
I paid approx. $500 per month for 1 child. I also covered the child under my health insurance..

Old 09-10-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Sadly, in this country, it's very easy to get around paying child support. Which is why I always laugh when I hear the fathers rights movements cry poor about how women milk poor men for it. The reality is a lot of men don't even pay, and a very small percentage actually pay the full amount. I know my friend Vicky who lives in Canada is going after her babies father, and she said they have all kinds of enforcement measurers there. Wage garnishment, tax refund seizures, putting liens on property, seizing licenses.
VERY SMALL PERCENTAGE? I wonder if that is true or just gossip? I know there are many dead beat dads out there but there are also many dads who pay on time every time.. I think this might be a case of a few bad apples spoiling the whole bunch. I would seriously be interested in seeing some REAL numbers concerning this issue.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:59 AM

8,077 posts, read 10,008,394 times
Some states...NJ I think has started this--make it mandatory that child support is paid through the State.

So the court orders an amount, and turns that amount over to a State Agency, to whom the parent pays. If you don't pay they start whatever proceedings are appropriate, including taking you back to court. You are then dealing with the judge and the state, not the former spouse.

I am stuck in this deal now--she refuses to honor our divorce agreement, and I can't reduce my child support for the emancipated child without a new court order. We are eleven months into that 'order process' now and I continue to pay the full support amount---$800 and change per child, down over the years from over $2,000 per child.

There are plenty of dead beat dad's out there. There are also decent people who get screwed royally by child support arrangements. It really all depends on how cooperative the parties are, or are not. In my case, my ex ( former lawyer who got fired from her last job two years ago and has not worked since) just lives to argue, battle, and find any nefarious means possible to punish me.

Sadly for her, I believe in karma...I don't know when, or where, but some day the ceiling will fall in on her and her cell phone will be six inches out of reach as she lays there and slowly starves to death, thinking about what a bad person she has been, and nobody would even bother to check on her after a few days of her disappearing--not even her children!

Old 09-10-2013, 09:15 AM

I was fortunate enough to have an ex who was amicable during the initial process and i returned the favor later when my daughter at 16 requested to live with me. When we went to court to have the child support STOPPED, the judge started working the figures to determine how much my ex would have to pay me in child support and I said, NO. I don't want child support. My daughter would be 18 in a year and a half so its not really worth it..

Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,845,993 times
Sometimes a new spouse can be instrumental in the child support issue. Either positively or negatively. If he/she has children of her own she may resent how much "family money" is going to children from a previous relationship and think most of the income should go towards the new family. I've seen that several times. In fact DH was a victim of a step mother who resented her new husband making payments to his mother and did everything to sabotage the relationship. This pettiness carried over into her old age to the degree she tried to keep him from a small monetary gift his father left him in his will.

I married a man with 3 children. We struggled in our early marriage but I knew ( stories from my single parent friends) how hard it can be financially so I upped the child support on my own to help out some more. I think this fact contributed to a comfortable relationship with his ex and especially the children.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 AM

2,570 posts, read 7,718,280 times
My ex, when he was working regularly, averaged 60k a year in terms of salary. That was back in the 90s! Also, that's in Texas, lower COL. However, when we went to court for child support he'd been unemployed for about a year and a half so they based it on minimum wage or unemployment benefits (not sure which) and he was ordered to pay $240 a month. He didn't pay that and got very behind... his parents started making payments of $415 a month and did so for a while. Now, they are taking payments out of his unemployment benefits (again he is on UI) and it's $340 a month and part of that goes to arrears. He has carried a back payment/arrears balance for the entire time we've been divorced (11 years now).

Very frustrating because if he was just working regularly in his field (IT) he wouldn't be behind and our son would have a better quality of life.

Another example; My step-daughter's father was on SSI, but worked under the table as a mechanic. His monthly support was ordered at $80 a month. He paid maybe a total of $400 over a period of four years, and then would do so only when he thought they were going to suspend his driver's license or something, then he would make angry, threatening phone calls afterwards for being "made" to pay the $80 or $160 or whatever he'd coughed up. The attorney general's office "enforcement" department did nothing, really, and as long as he coughed up a payment once a year or so they left him alone. He died last year and DD receives more now in survivors benefits from SS as a result than she ever did when he was living and working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting