Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 12:54 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
This was a study of only 70 fathers. That is not even close to being a big enough sample size to make any real conclusions.
You're right, they had small sample sizes

RIM SHOT - EYE-O

lol

Old 09-10-2013, 12:59 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdropinn View Post
i want to know who volunteers to be a test subject.
:d

Old 09-10-2013, 01:02 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
more like who volunteers to be a "testes" subject

Seriously, who thinks of this stuff??

Seriously, if this conclusion stands to more rigorous tests, it will make a huge impact on females in figuring out with which man to develop a long term relationship early in the process---that may help reduce the sky high divorce rate in this world today.

But I doubt that this can stand solid when sample sizes go up, or being tested on a different continent---europe, asia, or africa... If you read the paper, they included 70 or so men for such a big conclusion. That brings up another issue regarding the focus of scientific publications today has shifted towards the newsworthiness of a study rather than the scientific reliability.

Guys with big testes should go to the street to protest because of this potentially misleading information on their fatherhood quality that may be as good, if not better, as guys with small testes....

Old 09-10-2013, 01:03 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
This was a study of only 70 fathers. That is not even close to being a big enough sample size to make any real conclusions.

ha, did we think alike

Old 09-10-2013, 04:46 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,509 times
I'm a horrible dad!

Old 09-10-2013, 06:28 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
I'm a horrible dad!
Ok. This wins for most hilarious post of the day!!!!

Old 09-10-2013, 07:59 PM

384 posts, read 594,315 times
Must be a slow news day.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Makes sense, evolution wise women are drawn to the big strong risk takers, get pregnant, then find another male more suitable to domestic life to help raise the kids

I once read a study where they found a SIGNIFICANT percentage of husbands were unknowingly not the actual fathers of their kids
Except dead beat and absent fathers aren't really the risk takers. They're the permanent adolescents, the play boys, the ones who fear growing up, fear loving and bonding with their children, fear being parents or partners.

I definitely do not believe this "study". And there is no real study that has ever shown that men prefer to raise children that are not their own. That's more like the way of the dodo bird. You see far more abused and murdered children by men who are not the fathers of the children than by the fathers.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:37 PM

37 posts, read 73,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Except dead beat and absent fathers aren't really the risk takers. They're the permanent adolescents, the play boys, the ones who fear growing up, fear loving and bonding with their children, fear being parents or partners.
I've seen many playboys who are excellent fathers.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:03 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Seriously, if this conclusion stands to more rigorous tests, it will make a huge impact on females in figuring out with which man to develop a long term relationship early in the process---that may help reduce the sky high divorce rate in this world today.

But I doubt that this can stand solid when sample sizes go up, or being tested on a different continent---europe, asia, or africa... If you read the paper, they included 70 or so men for such a big conclusion. That brings up another issue regarding the focus of scientific publications today has shifted towards the newsworthiness of a study rather than the scientific reliability.

Guys with big testes should go to the street to protest because of this potentially misleading information on their fatherhood quality that may be as good, if not better, as guys with small testes....

Being a good father has nothing to do with divorce. I know plenty of couples who are divorced and the fathers aren't any less fatherly as married couples. In fact, I know a father or 2 who are married and they're far from father of the year.

I'm sorry, but 70 men is not a fair enough sampling given the number of fathers around the world.

And fwiw, I did read the paper and it states:

Charles Snowdon, a psychologist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, points out that the paper’s own statistics show testes size explains only a fraction of the variation in paternal care. “There are lots of other variables that affect fatherhood,” he says, citing as examples social environment and prior experience looking after younger siblings when the men were children themselves"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting