Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 02:55 PM

60 posts, read 175,173 times

Advertisements

Why not look into freelance work from home? I started freelancing from home after my youngest was born because I missed out on so many of the things my babies were doing. There are plenty of legit positions out there that are not the envelope stuffing or pyramid scheme sales jobs so common in the past. Tutoring companies are always looking for English teachers, and a number of companies hire in a variety of countries. Do a web search for sahm job forums or wahm (work at home moms) forums and you should hit pay dirt. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 03:20 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
My experience: I quit my job to be SAHM. I went back to work when kiddo was 5 months and a month later I quit my job b'c the stress of it all was just too overwhelming.

My baby is almost 3 now and she is very sociable. Already talks about going to school. From that perspective, I do regret quitting my job. Part of the reason I quit was b'c I didn't want to miss anything, going from being with her 24/7 to a couple of hours at night was a HUGE transition, and breast feeding was a nightmare for me but I was still doing it at 5 months and the logistics of BF-ing and working full time was too much of a hassle.

Anyway, she does great with other kids so now that she's at a good age to start pre-school, I've come to realize if I had held out a little longer I would've been fine working and her going to daycare. We would've transitioned, it would've been tough but we would've made it. Those early years just go by so fast but when you are a first time parent, it feels so permanent!

WITH THAT SAID, I am glad I decided to stay at home though. Sure there is one side of me that doesn't but I got to be there for all her milestones. I got to teach her stuff and watch her grow. I get to spend a lot of time with her and as independent as she is, I'm pretty sure she's going to be out of the house and working before 18! (I exaggerate but it feels that way) All the more reason to stay home with your kiddo if life let's you is b'c these early years pass by so fast.

Just remember in the end, whatever decision you make is the RIGHT decision. Good luck. I know this is never easy!

Old 09-12-2013, 07:02 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
In my experience any pay you got would be quickly depleted by childcare and other work related expenses.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:15 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I'm just not sure if I am making the right decision in the long-term. Any experienced moms do this? How did things turn out?
You made the right decision. One of my biggest regrets was putting my kids in daycare to work, even though they attended only part time. When you look back at it--which you can't while you're in it--those few years go by so quickly. As one of my coworkers then told me, who had already raised her kids, you can work for the rest of your life.

I'm sure it works fine for some mothers who have relatives around to help.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:13 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,458 times
I think I noticed you said it was a part-time night teaching job? Or did I misunderstand? Would you need childcare or your husband would be home at that time?

I've read studies that said a large majority of moms would prefer working part-time over SAHM full-time or working full-time. I would have to agree. I think dedicating 100% of your day to either one can drive you crazy.

I have an almost 2 year old daughter. Of course I would love to SAHM full-time at least for a few years, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards for us. I'm the breadwinner, my husband is a few years behind me on the "ladder" and we need my income. Also, I have been extremely lucky to have a 9-5 job that lets me commute 2 days a week but work from home the other 3 days a week.

I have had all sorts of arrangements during that time for the 3 days that I am at home (the 2 office days my daughter is with her grandma). When my daughter was younger, it was very easy to work as she would nap for hours or sit next to me and play with a rattle for 10 minutes. Lol! But as she got older HR told me I needed a sitter there with me. It was summer so my teenage BIL helped me out. Once he went back to school, I got my SIL to do it for a while, but she eventually got promoted at HER job and could no longer get those 3 days off to help me. It was summer again so my BIL helped me again all summer. Then I was stuck. We tried preschool last month and my daughter did NOT adjust well. She was crying at school, having nightmares and starting feeling extremely clingy. She has the same personality as me and was not feeling the large groups of strange kids. She takes a long time to warm up, and is very emotional. My MIL saw her struggling and changed HER job to be able to help me out with my daughter the additional days. I can also flex my hours so if I start early, I am off very early.

Sorry, long story short - working and being a mom is a very fluid situation. It will change so many times. And you have to figure out what works for your child's personality. If preschool is something they love and need, or hate and aren't ready for. If I didn't have my MIL's help, my husband and I would have to figure something else out. Daycare wouldn't have worked for her, and frankly, I wouldn't have wanted it to. And I certainly don't think I could be away from her 5 days a week all day long commuting. For me, figuring out this work/life/kids balance has been THE hardest part of becoming a mom, and I think it always will be for my family.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:47 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Thanks everyone, I am quite happy with the decision after sleeping on it!

After a 10 year career as a 911 operator, I'm quite happy to slow down the pace and take some time out with the babies before jumping into a new career

Last edited by Jaded; 09-14-2013 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Reference to deleted post removed

Old 09-13-2013, 01:56 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone, I am quite happy with the decision after sleeping on it!

After a 10 year career as a 911 operator, I'm quite happy to slow down the pace and take some time out with the babies before jumping into a new career

And in the end that is all that matters....what you prefer. Enjoy!

Last edited by Jaded; 09-14-2013 at 01:47 PM..

Old 09-13-2013, 06:01 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
I wasnt able to stay home when mine were young. We needed my income. We worked opposite shifts so we didn't have to do daycare. I went back to work when 2 of my kids were only 5 weeks. As a teacher, I have to say, it is a demanding job that you bring home. I just quit because I was spending so much time planning, grading, doing paperwork that when I was home, my kids were really suffering. I only wish I had more time with them when they were younger. My youngest is 6, but at least now when they get home from school, I am here and I don't have to work all night. University teaching may be different,but I know you still work at home on planning/grading. Kids are only young once. Enjoy them while you can.
Could you do some part time babysitting, tutor a night a week, or something to bring in a little extra? I quit teaching and am selling on ebay until I land a couple tutoring jobs to help.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:04 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
And I'm not sure how I feel about it. Part of me enjoys working a lot, but I'm just not sure if I am making the right decision in the long-term. Any experienced moms do this? How did things turn out?

My kids are 3.5 and 10 months. We are living paycheque to paycheque but we're doing okay (just no trips, new clothes, etc). We could use the money, but we'll live without it. I haven't worked since the youngest was a few months old.
It's a gamble. I try to keep one foot in the working world by doing part time work, so that I will be able to find a job when the time comes. But I've turned down or not bothered to apply for quite a few things over the past few years. It makes me nervous, but I just have to hope that a few more years won't make a difference.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:04 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Please pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a SAHM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting