Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 02:44 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
I've heard this "car seat in the center" thing a couple times, but the reality is none of the new cars we looked at had LATCH anchor points for the middle seat. None of our friends install car seats in the middle because of the lack of anchor points. Also, the crash testing done by the government (correct me if I'm wrong), installs the car seat to one side, not in the center. I think its perfectly fine to install your seat to one side. We installed ours behind the passenger seat, as its towards the curb when parallel parking.
Agree. The other issue is that it's a PITA to get the kid out of the car seat or get the whole infant carrier seat out of the base when it's in the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 03:05 PM

24,451 posts, read 25,987,852 times
Car seat mistakes especially the latch point.

The biggest car-seat mistakes parents make | Fox News

Old 09-17-2013, 03:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
We currently drive ’07 Lexus IS250 and ’04 Mazda 3 sedan.
We are expecting our first baby in the spring,
and will plan on having a 2nd (and final) kid in 2-3 years.
Stick with what you have.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:02 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
We currently drive ’07 Lexus IS250 and ’04 Mazda 3 sedan. We are expecting our first baby in the spring, and will plan on having a 2nd (and final) kid in 2-3 years. We like to keep our cars 10+ years, so that is why we are looking ahead.

We are definitely trading in the Mazda 3 for a new car by the spring. My issue is I’m not sure what to get right now. These are the options I’m deciding between:

1) Trade in Mazda 3 for a 3-row SUV (Acura MDX, CX-9, Pathfinder, etc), and grow into it. Keep IS250 for long-term and use the 3-row SUV as the baby hauler. Use IS250 for kids as rarely as possible.

2) Trade in Mazda 3 for a 2-row SUV (Acura RDX, Sante Fe, Rogue, etc) and hope it can fit 2 kids. Keep IS250 for long-term and use the 2-row SUV as the baby hauler. Use IS250 for kids as rarely as possible.

3) Trade in Mazda 3 for a family sedan with big backseat & trunk (Camry, Accord). After having 2nd kid, trade in IS250 for an SUV/minivan.

A few more facts:
- IS250 only has 80k miles and is running great.
- We have a lot of family within 4 hours so we tend to take road trips often.
- Wife is open to a minivan in the future, but not for this purchase.

Which of the 3 scenarios would you recommend?
If your credit is good, buy the one you need NOW. Buying a car for something that may be 5+ years away is foolish IMO. Especially, when you are looking at 4+ hour road trips, something big may just be a gas guzzler.

I would get a small SUV (if you like the 3 you will like the CX 5) and you can trade up to a bigger car/SUV if/when you need it.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:04 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,784 times
You should probably just keep what you have, but a fullsize sedan like the Impala would be the best choice. Don't be one of those people brain washed into thinking you need a CUV!

Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I have a mini van and also would have given a lot of them to be available then. I mean the sliding side doors are a blessing with child seats in a parking lot or other such situations.Plus the easy getting the back lid open to store the buggy etc in back even without totally folding it.Good mileage and a tosn of space; besides easy access.; I now know why they became so popular with mothers.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:34 PM

754 posts, read 1,739,065 times
I will bet most of these responses are from men lol

First I would ask what style of vehicle YOU and your wife want. People can (and do) debate endlessly on the ole SUV vs car debate but in the end it is a matter of personal preference, personal situation, budget, and need. For instance there are some small SUVs that have LESS storage than large sedans so buying a SUV does not necessarily equal more space. However some folks simply like the higher ride and the extra safety of a larger vehicle (which is something even the IIHS recognizes).

I can relate to your position b/c my friends and I are in the age group of babies, infants and toddlers and in my state kids must remain in some type of car seat/booster until their eight birthday REGARDLESS of weight or height. So unless you plan on having your kids over eight years apart, there is nothing wrong with planning for the future. In my area carpooling is also a MAJOR thing and I really don't know anyone who only transports their own kid(s) on a weekly basis this is to daycare and extracurricular activities. Many of us also have parents who are older who cannot always transport themselves and so that is a factor. I personally suffered a terrible back injury a decade ago and continuous bending is a no no for me, I have pains bending just to brush my teeth over the sink. Oh yea and we have two dogs that travel with us frequently (not just on road trips but to parks and trails), and don't forget when you travel with your kid it isn't just the stroller but the pack and play and other crap...I mean potential necessities, to keep your kid comfortable and your sanity in tact that you will carry with you. I have a RX almost a decade old and the slope of the back kills my cargo room but we also have a newer highlander so it works.

My point is, even though it is interesting to hear everyone's opinion on this, you really need to decide what are the most important factors for your situation. I for one see nothing wrong with buying ahead, not everyone likes to lease or buy vehicles every 3 years. The other factor to consider is the cost of whatever maintenance or repair the Mazda may need to keep it running for another couple of years, also if you will be paying for Childcare, that will be competing with your ability to save up a nice downpayment while the value of your Mazda continues to decline and therefore you will get less equity at trade or sale. On the flip side if you are financing make sure to crunch your numbers jd keep your budget tight because babies aren't cheap!

If you both have decided for sure to get rid of the Mazda, if you aren't concerned with transporting additional people then I would go with a large car first (if no preference for a SUV) and two row SUV second but making sure to get one with as much cargo space as you can.

Last edited by AnalyzeThis; 09-17-2013 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-17-2013, 08:50 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,236,388 times
I agree with others who have said you can delay this decision for a bit and continue in your current cars. I have two children, who are 6 and 8. I also did not want to ever have a minivan. I drive a large SUV with a 3rd row. I think and SUV with a 3rd row is the best long term solution. If you have a couple of kids, believe me you will later on end up carpooling their friends around as well. Also, when the kids are little,you will have bulky gear, double strollers, etc. as they get older, you may end up with more bulky gear, my son plays hockey!!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:18 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
Definitely change out of the sedan because bending over each time to put your baby carrier in (and fiddle with everything else) is a pain in the... back. Mom will also occasionally accompany it and you'll need as much elbow room as possible. And what's more is you need to swing the door open a lot which can be a problem in tight spaces. I have an SUV (wouldn't trade for a minivan) but perhaps you guys are open to it mainly because of the sliding doors - they are a godsend in those situations. I've had to back out of a spot just to get my babies in on multiple occasions (or just park far in the back). Plus you can just walk to the 3rd row with a minivan (adults only, infants/toddlers don't belong there). That's not true of SUVs where you have to tilt the 2nd row forward and that's not easy with baby carriers LATCHed in. I skipped the 3rd row in my SUV for that reason - would have been entirely useless until kids were older and I had to drive grandma/grandpa too wherever we were going. Speaking of that, I sometimes need to drive my parents' minivan instead to get the whole crew somewhere which is less than desirable - would rather drive my own car. Having a 3rd row is more ideal for down the road.

Last thing I'll say is the MDX rear is smaller than the CX-9. I'd get the latter if it were between those choices. Santa Fe (not sport) is also a good car with sliding/split 2nd row leading to the 3rd row.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-18-2013 at 06:32 AM..

Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Probably don't wanna hear this but a minivan kicks the snot out of a SUV if you have babies and family. Babies and kids? Minivan wins every time.

Lower ride height smoother ride more room for passengers and just better all around. But the SUV looks tougher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting