Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:23 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Three days ago our 6-month old (officially 6-Months as of 9/15) has begun a pretty drastic change in her eating and sleeping habits in general and was wondering if this may be something not to worry about.

Now we've been spoiled since she was 4 weeks old... she would sleep 10 - 12 hours straight through the night. Her feedings were even on schedule as she would eat the same amount and at the same time for each feeding.

All of a sudden starting on Saturday her normal 6-8 oz feedings are now 2-3 oz at a time. We have also been feeding her cereal now 2 times a day and both those times she barely eats much and just doesn't want it. As for sleep... she now "moans" every 2-3 hours a night and one of us usually has to get up and put her binky in her mouth to help sooth her back to sleep.

As precaution we took her to the dr. yesterday because we werent sure if she was getting sick or if it could be that she has teeth coming in and she's in pain. She already has her 2 bottom teeth in her mouth. The dr. ruled out sickness and didn't feel anymore teeth coming through and in the end she checked out just fine.. everything looks good and healthy.

My question is then... could this be a rather normal thing and that her body and her growth are just causing her different eating/sleeping cycles? Both her check-ups showed that she was 100%+ for height and weight, so I wonder if her body is finally starting to tell her to "slow down". She's also been extra fussy and clingy... not sure too if she could possibly be "bored"? What I mean is... I think she's upset that she can't do more than roll over so far. Anytime we even put her on her belly she tries so hard to crawl and scooth forward but as of right now she can only shuffle backwards.

Anyway... I apologize for the rambling message and it seemed to bounce all over the place! We are first timers so was wondering if other parents out there who have gone through phases such as this could supply any input! THANK YOU!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
Separation anxiety and clingy behaviour (extra wakeups) are developmentally normal around times of increased mobility (6 months being a big one). 12 months (walking) is also a big one. Just hang in there! I wouldn't rule out teething though, just because the stubs can't be felt.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Separation anxiety and clingy behaviour (extra wakeups) are developmentally normal around times of increased mobility (6 months being a big one). 12 months (walking) is also a big one. Just hang in there! I wouldn't rule out teething though, just because the stubs can't be felt.

Thanks... yeah I had more of a feeling it's just her growing stage and body changes that could be more of the cause. For some reason though my wife just thinks there's something "more" to it. I keep trying to convince her that she's just changing and that we just have to make adjustments is all.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:48 AM

861 posts, read 2,717,202 times
Kids constantly are changing things up.... Just when you think you have a good routine down - BOOM - they make other plans. The only thing constant during these only years is change. It's not necessarily a bad thing, there's probably nothing "wrong". She could be going through a growth spurt. And I'm sure she's not bored. The whole world & everything in it is brand new to her. Sounds like you're doing everything just fine, so no worries.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Kids constantly are changing things up.... Just when you think you have a good routine down - BOOM - they make other plans. The only thing constant during these only years is change. It's not necessarily a bad thing, there's probably nothing "wrong". She could be going through a growth spurt. And I'm sure she's not bored. The whole world & everything in it is brand new to her. Sounds like you're doing everything just fine, so no worries.

My thoughts exactly... thanks Heather for the response!

As I said we've been so spoiled with her she's made it so easy on us for so long. Times like this are going to happen and this a "piece of cake" compared to all the other changes that will happen to her in her lifetime! This dad does not look forward to those times!

Old 09-17-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Thanks... yeah I had more of a feeling it's just her growing stage and body changes that could be more of the cause. For some reason though my wife just thinks there's something "more" to it. I keep trying to convince her that she's just changing and that we just have to make adjustments is all.
What does she think is wrong?

Both my kids were nightmares right before they learned to crawl. Imagine how it must feel to wake up at 2am and be able to "almost fly". Would you sleep? lol.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
What does she think is wrong?

Both my kids were nightmares right before they learned to crawl. Imagine how it must feel to wake up at 2am and be able to "almost fly". Would you sleep? lol.

Not really sure what else she could think is wrong. She's already thinking about calling the pediatrician again this afternoon if she doesn't eat more. She ate a total of 5 oz of formula and some cereal this morning which was much better than yesterday morning. Plus last night she only woke up once but pretty much slept as normal... so not sure why she keeps thinking there's something else there.

It's funny though you mention the sleep thing... now that she is a master at rolling over, she no longer sleeps in one position at night, lol. She starts at one end of the crib on her back and ends up at the other side of the crib facing the complete opposite direction on her stomach, LOL.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:24 AM

You might find the book The Wonder Weeks to be useful. It talks about common developmental changes around similar times that most babies experience. I found with my first child, it was very accurate. My second, these things don't phase him as much, but I still notice fussy behaviour around a "wonder week".

If she's 6 months old, then how accurate would this be?
Mental leap 5 - Wonder Week 26: The World of RelationshipsThe Wonder Weeks

Old 09-17-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
You might find the book The Wonder Weeks to be useful. It talks about common developmental changes around similar times that most babies experience. I found with my first child, it was very accurate. My second, these things don't phase him as much, but I still notice fussy behaviour around a "wonder week".

If she's 6 months old, then how accurate would this be?
Mental leap 5 - Wonder Week 26: The World of RelationshipsThe Wonder Weeks

Actually the small summarization is perfectly describing how she is starting to become. I laugh when I saw the part about leaving to go to the next room could be like you're going to china... YUP!! lol...

Thanks for this! I forwarded my wife the link so I'm sure she'll take a look at it. Who knows maybe she'll even purchase the book.. she loves to read!

Old 09-17-2013, 10:50 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Not really sure what else she could think is wrong. She's already thinking about calling the pediatrician again this afternoon if she doesn't eat more. She ate a total of 5 oz of formula and some cereal this morning which was much better than yesterday morning. Plus last night she only woke up once but pretty much slept as normal... so not sure why she keeps thinking there's something else there.

It's funny though you mention the sleep thing... now that she is a master at rolling over, she no longer sleeps in one position at night, lol. She starts at one end of the crib on her back and ends up at the other side of the crib facing the complete opposite direction on her stomach, LOL.
What about allergies to the cereal or formula? My grandson got very gassy and stopped eating. He would wake up at night hungry but didn't want to eat because of the gas. She switched his formula to a nonallergen type and it fixed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting