Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:11 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
What is fire according to you. When is it serious enough not to ignore?

O P. tells us his kid cries every time the grandparents watching her. That to me doesn't sound right.

Any responsible parent should be concerned and at least listen to your child!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Did you read the OP? I think not. The child in question isn't "afraid" of the grandparents. She reverts to a baby-like manner around them in his presence. He doesn't like it. He "broke" his wife of this behavior. So no, there is no fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This is also a guy who "broke his wife" of crying and being emotional.

Probably the kid is scared to death to show emotions in front of him but can express herself with her grandparents.
This is what I'm thinking too .

Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Lets hope for her sake, the little girl, that you are right. I would still do some more research.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:47 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
Okay, from the replies let me clarify a few things:

1. "I broke my wife..." perhaps a better of saying it would be "When we met, she was much younger and a series of life events that I have helped her though has made her a more confident, emotionally strong and mature woman."

2. The notion that I am an emotionless person and that she confides in the grandparents - The grandparents are not warm people in terms of snuggling and showing physical affection. In fact, they do not show physical affection in a cuddling way. They are serial micromanagers, and from the minute they are in the picture, they micromanage the heck out of the child. I tell my kids I love them every day, and am the one who is giving the majority of kisses and hugs in the household.

3. I understand 4 yr olds cry - I get it. Crying because certain people in the picture to me is odd and not typical behavior and my concern is that it will affect her education as it is currently doing so in her school, so if I can figure out why, I can prevent problems down the road - the same problems that I saw my wife go through.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
3. I understand 4 yr olds cry - I get it. Crying because certain people in the picture to me is odd and not typical behavior and my concern is that it will affect her education as it is currently doing so in her school, so if I can figure out why, I can prevent problems down the road - the same problems that I saw my wife go through.
I think someone brought this up already, but have you talked to your wife about this? If this is something she went through, then wouldn't she be the best person to help your daughter? Strangers on the internet can only guess at what is going on, and really don't know the situation.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:50 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I think someone brought this up already, but have you talked to your wife about this? If this is something she went through, then wouldn't she be the best person to help your daughter? Strangers on the internet can only guess at what is going on, and really don't know the situation.
Yeah, that was the first place I went to and she said she didn't know. She is and has always been reluctant to speak about her parents in a critical way. You just can't be critical of them or inquire about them, they can do no wrong in her eyes, so I have to tread lightly on that topic and know my boundaries.

As for asking the child herself, have you ever tried to get an answer from a 4 year old? I would get a better answer asking the wall.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Okay, from the replies let me clarify a few things:

1. "I broke my wife..." perhaps a better of saying it would be "When we met, she was much younger and a series of life events that I have helped her though has made her a more confident, emotionally strong and mature woman."

2. The notion that I am an emotionless person and that she confides in the grandparents - The grandparents are not warm people in terms of snuggling and showing physical affection. In fact, they do not show physical affection in a cuddling way. They are serial micromanagers, and from the minute they are in the picture, they micromanage the heck out of the child. I tell my kids I love them every day, and am the one who is giving the majority of kisses and hugs in the household.

No. 2. This is the problem. You answered it.

A family therapist maybe can help your wife feel comfortable approaching her parents about this? Otherwise, you can help your daughter the way you helped your wife. If Gparents are going to be in your lives, you are going to have to learn to manage their relationship with all of you, not just your daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting