Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 06:23 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,581,696 times

Advertisements

This has to be a joke. Of course my so. Can have postwrsa and he currently has several. Star Wars, a solar system map, a map of our state and some others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 07:51 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,746,700 times
I had heavy metal posters and bikini ladies all over my room when I was a teen, and I won't deny my kids the right to do similar with their own rooms. At their current ages it is not practical because my middle son who is autistic tears down all posters he sees. I am hoping that is just a phase though.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:30 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Mine decorated their own rooms from an early stage.
Posters, bedding, paint color, etc.... their room, their choice.
Both my daughters are grown, but youngest went through a Tim Burton phase in her early to mid-teens. Her walls were papered with Nightmare Before Christmas themed posters, sheets, bedspread, etc. When her older sister moved out, she took over her (larger) room and we offered to redecorate it for her for her birthday. First, she wanted it all BLACK, including the walls and carpet. I said no, but we compromised. We found her a nice used black lacquered bedroom set and she picked out black curtains and a grey carpet, then we painted the walls grey and pearl with a double textured roller to look like stone. When she outgrew the "goth" phase, she ditched the Nightmare Before Christmas theme and black curtains and switched to lavender. It had a nice effect with the grey walls and carpet and black furniture.

Oldest grandson is into Thomas The Tank Engine and trains, big time. His walls are plastered with posters of Thomas, Percy, etc. and a steam train print he got last Christmas. He has Thomas bedspreads and sheets, and a Thomas toddler bed that he is rapidly outgrowing...when the time comes to pass it on to his little brother, there's going to be a fight.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:39 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
Yes, but it’s limited to just s few. I don’t want holes all over the walls or them using tape.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:49 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I had heavy metal posters and bikini ladies all over my room when I was a teen, and I won't deny my kids the right to do similar with their own rooms. At their current ages it is not practical because my middle son who is autistic tears down all posters he sees. I am hoping that is just a phase though.
I'm sure it is just a phase, and he will outgrow it.

I had posters cut from Tiger Beat all over my room. David Cassidy, of course (not doing so well, sadly). My dad thought he was a girl! But he gave me The Partridge Family Greatest Hits album for Christmas 1971, which I still have and treasure. Those posters were replaced a couple of years later by Elton John (ripped them all down when I was 15 and found out he was gay); KISS, which horrified my mother (especially the wall length glow in the dark one which showed Gene Simmons spitting blood). I also had a poster of "The Fonz" that I did catch her looking at quite a bit, although she never said anything bad about it!

I remember now, youngest daughter had a "Happy Bunny" poster on her wall with every rude saying he/she/it (or whatever it was) ever made. "I hear the other yucky people calling you...", "It's funny how you think I'm listening".

Oldest had "Hanson" posters plastered all over her room. Remember them? When I tease her now about "Hanson", now, 20 years later, she's embarrassed.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:19 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,957,605 times
my 8 year old has her walls covered with posters of cats, pokemon, dogs, Monster high, art work, streamers etc etc. We encourage her to decorate as she sees fit. Its nothing some spackle can't fix if we moved

Old 11-22-2017, 02:21 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,957,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I'm sure it is just a phase, and he will outgrow it.

Those posters were replaced a couple of years later by Elton John (ripped them all down when I was 15 and found out he was gay);
Did it disgust you or you were just upset you didn't have a chance

Old 11-24-2017, 11:45 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,033 times
12-year old: the periodic table, another one referencing chemistry, a distorted artsy map of the world, an inspirational message poster.

10-year old: about 2 dozen cat and dog posters, a map of the world with the Titanic's route marked off, another Titanic poster, Totoro, Star Wars themed posters, Harry Potter themed posters, anti-patriarchy themed posters, Girl Scouts, karate, other movie posters.

6-year old: none.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:48 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,912,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Did it disgust you or you were just upset you didn't have a chance
:-) My wife had a crush on John Lennon until she found out he was married with a kid so she then turned to Paul.

I asked her, "Did it occur to you that you were 13 and he was 25 and he would have not been interested in you?"

She said "no."

Old 11-26-2017, 07:37 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times
My almost 17-year-old son doesn't have posters. I don't know why not. I guess he just isn't interested. He has trophies and things like that displayed. When he was much younger, he had a few Transformers and Star Wars posters.

My 14-year-old daughter has a few posters and has painted a big anime mural on her wall. She has other decorative things, too, including her own paintings, a bulletin board with various things, etc.

I have no care whatsoever what they decorate with in their rooms. When they move out, we can always paint the walls back to neutral.

As a teen in the early '90s, I had posters of the two Coreys, NKOTB, Aerosmith, and I don't even remember what else. We had ugly fake paneling on our walls and my parents wouldn't let me paint over it, so posters were the best I could do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting