Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 11:51 AM

1,436 posts, read 1,873,151 times

Advertisements

I think personally, that we all take sports to seriously. Yes, it's a good way to stay in shape and build self confidence but I think it's just wrong to impose sports on a child, especially every season. Not only hat, but yet she complains about it. She's tried it and does not like it and yet you continue do make her do so.

Why must it be a sport? Why can't it be a club or learning an instrument?

As I've mentioned in another post on this very thread. I did not play sports and my mother never imposed it on me. She asked me if I did and I said I didn't.

There are so many groups and club activities that can help your child.

When I was in high-school, I was in several groups.It kept me active all year.
I did Community Service, took up piano(which i still continue today),Theater and arts which I still help direct,etc.

So I think the OP needs to realize that sports does not fit everyone. Take a look into different programs that are offered at your daughter's school and area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 12:13 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,318,658 times
Chris123678, I get what you're saying and if this were a discussion of a 16 year old as opposed to a 6 year old, I'd agree with you 100%
Also, if the OP was at the starting point saying "I want her to do B-ball but she's losing her mind over not wanting to do it" again, I would agree with you.
But quitting in the middle of the season doesn't seem right.
If she were my daughter I'd say she began the season, she finishes the season and then next time she gets to choose what she wants to do. I do think I'd put the kaveat on it that at her age it should be a physical activity, but it doesn't have to be traditional sports. I could be dancing, ballet, kid-yoga, lol whatever.
But I think that we see this child obesity issue in the US and a huge part of the problem is that parents are complacent with letting their kids just sit around. Sit around and watch TV, sit around and play video games, or I-pods, or whatever. Forcing your kid to be active a few times a week will do nothing but help them in their development.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Chris123678, I get what you're saying and if this were a discussion of a 16 year old as opposed to a 6 year old, I'd agree with you 100%
Also, if the OP was at the starting point saying "I want her to do B-ball but she's losing her mind over not wanting to do it" again, I would agree with you.
But quitting in the middle of the season doesn't seem right.
If she were my daughter I'd say she began the season, she finishes the season and then next time she gets to choose what she wants to do. I do think I'd put the kaveat on it that at her age it should be a physical activity, but it doesn't have to be traditional sports. I could be dancing, ballet, kid-yoga, lol whatever.
But I think that we see this child obesity issue in the US and a huge part of the problem is that parents are complacent with letting their kids just sit around. Sit around and watch TV, sit around and play video games, or I-pods, or whatever. Forcing your kid to be active a few times a week will do nothing but help them in their development.
Why does active have to mean a team sport.

Also, I did not get that she was already on a team and wanting to quit from the OP's original post. If she was, then I agree she should finish out the season since she made a commitment to play.

OTOH, active can mean - biking, swimming, hiking, running around outside playing, climbing trees, etc. You don't have to play a team sport to be active and healthy.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:25 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,205,093 times
I'd try and clarify if she dislikes competition, or dislikes exertion. Those are both completely different reasons for not liking sports, and require completely different paths forward.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:31 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,834,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
i have a 6 year old going on 7. I have signed her up for a sport every season except summer time. She tells me she hates sports because there boring. She say she feels like i am forcing her to play sports. She is only in a rec league (not travel) for soccer. I mentioned basketball to her and she about flipped out on me, yet she plays it in the driveway with me all the time.

I explained to her that playing sports and trying new things is important. It is good exercise, builds self esteem, and encourages you to work in a team atmosphere.

As a parent i believe in pushing your kids to try new things. I feel that sometimes a kid does not know what they really want so i try to put them in new situations or to keep trying something so that they can become better at. They don't necessarily have to be the best, but need to understand that if you stick with something you can achieve greater results.

am i being too pushy here?
yes! Yes! Yes!

Old 10-05-2013, 12:39 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,187,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
I have a 6 year old going on 7. I have signed her up for a sport every season except summer time. She tells me she hates sports because there boring. She say she feels like I am forcing her to play sports. She is only in a rec league (not travel) for soccer. I mentioned basketball to her and she about flipped out on me, yet she plays it in the driveway with me all the time.

I explained to her that playing sports and trying new things is important. It is good exercise, builds self esteem, and encourages you to work in a team atmosphere.

As a parent I believe in pushing your kids to try new things. I feel that sometimes a kid does not know what they really want so I try to put them in new situations or to keep trying something so that they can become better at. They don't necessarily have to be the best, but need to understand that if you stick with something you can achieve greater results.

Am I being too pushy here?
You said it yourself "I believe in pushing your kids"...Your kid said she feels "like I am forcing her"...Sometimes a kid [might] not "know what they really want", but most kids know what they don't want...there's lots of ways to instill good self esteem and perseverance in your daughter without forcing her to compete with others, and still achieve the "greater results" you soooo desire for her.. Maybe that's why she likes playing basketball in the yard with you...she doesn't feel she has to "perform" for someone else. Maybe your daughters not comfortable with unnecessary confrontation, and you should just relax and just see what she'd do if she wasn't signed up for all the sports every season.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:44 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,576,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Look, you could be exercising and playing all sorts of sports, if you get home and your parents shove food down your throat like it's no tomorrow, no amount of sports will stop the obesity!

I see mom's in vans at fast food places spending over 20 minutes as if it was a Sam's club....if that's what you're doing after sports, playing that sport won't keep the fat off. Sorry.

Eat right, and take walks, there are other things to do to maintain a healthier shape...forcing sports so you can justify eating crap is not the way to go.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:41 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,806,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Being kind and honest take precedence over academic achievement.
In your opinion.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,912,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I see mom's in vans at fast food places spending over 20 minutes as if it was a Sam's club....if that's what you're doing after sports, playing that sport won't keep the fat off. Sorry.
I had a friend in grade school that was in dance. She had classes for 3 hours every evening, but she was over weight because her parents always stopped and got fast food for dinner. She was actually healthier before she started dance classes because then her parents weren't "too busy" to cook meals at home.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh, I disagree....as a parent, there are probably going to be many times when you HAVE to tell your kids they "have" to do things. I simply don't think that choosing their sports or making them participate in "after school sports", is one of those things that you should make them do.
True, and when a child is truly gifted in something, you never have to force them. My cousin begged and begged to have piano lessons, my aunt didn't want to bother but he couldn't stop pleading. Finally she said okay to the lessons but he had no where to practice as they didn't have a piano. He had a true talent and they ended up sacrificing to have a piano. They never had to tell him he had to practice, it was just in him to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting