Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 09:44 PM

703 posts, read 870,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
It means they're not going to be one of the popular kids? They don't "get" to be friends with the jocks? There are worse things in life. Once you are out of high school no one is going to care who your friends were or if you played any sports. Thats not what matters in the real world. But if you want to think it is, then go right ahead and talk about your "glory days" to all your buddies for all eternity.

Oh wait, you're in high school still, aren't you? Well you'll find out the reality of life soon enough.
I am not in high school. lol Way beyond that point in life.
look, you clearly didn't read through my post because that's not what I was saying at all. I was saying that the majority of individuals in sports also tend to do well in academics, or are at least pushed in that way. So if you're not in sports, then you're not likely to befriend those who are looking to do well in school. sure, there will be some, but are hard to come across and is not likely. You need to establish a friend group interested in academics so you can get help when you need it. that's a big reason to also join. lol jocks. I don't think I really ever used that term anywhere in high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Oh my god, it is about that. Read your post.
no, you need to read through it really well because you're not picking up on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 09:46 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
OP is/was being pushy.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
I am not in high school. lol Way beyond that point in life.
look, you clearly didn't read through my post because that's not what I was saying at all. I was saying that the majority of individuals in sports also tend to do well in academics, or are at least pushed in that way. So if you're not in sports, then you're not likely to befriend those who are looking to do well in school. sure, there will be some, but are hard to come across and is not likely. You need to establish a friend group interested in academics so you can get help when you need it. that's a big reason to also join. lol jocks. I don't think I really ever used that term anywhere in high school.
So your school project you asked about in another thread was just for fun, since you're not in school... sure.

I'm sure its different at every school, but when I was in high school the athletes were not the smartest kids in school. They only cared about sports and partying on the weekends.They had to maintain a 2.0 in order to play sports, and I know a lot of them were having trouble maintaining such a low gpa. The only help with their academics they would get from sports is getting a pass from the teachers who didn't want to see them kicked off the team. Ever hear of the dumb jock stereotype? Yeah... they didn't get that stereotype for being too into their academics.

Come to think of it all the teen pregnancies at my high school were either cheerleaders or girls who's boyfriend was a football player. So not really the best crowd to be apart of.

Our valedictorian wasn't an athlete, and neither was anyone in the group that she hung out with. If I remember correctly a lot of them were actually in the marching band.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No.

The point is what is best for them and what they will appreciate later.

I am happy to have great teeth and I am happy to be athletic.
Forcing a disinterested, unathletic kid to play a sport will not make her athletic.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:28 AM

703 posts, read 870,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
So your school project you asked about in another thread was just for fun, since you're not in school... sure.

I'm sure its different at every school, but when I was in high school the athletes were not the smartest kids in school. They only cared about sports and partying on the weekends.They had to maintain a 2.0 in order to play sports, and I know a lot of them were having trouble maintaining such a low gpa. The only help with their academics they would get from sports is getting a pass from the teachers who didn't want to see them kicked off the team. Ever hear of the dumb jock stereotype? Yeah... they didn't get that stereotype for being too into their academics.

Come to think of it all the teen pregnancies at my high school were either cheerleaders or girls who's boyfriend was a football player. So not really the best crowd to be apart of.

Our valedictorian wasn't an athlete, and neither was anyone in the group that she hung out with. If I remember correctly a lot of them were actually in the marching band.
that was college, not high school. lol I'm just about to finish up college (and am already in the professional job world), {nice try, but no cigar} anyway, but I'm assuming he meant high school. And yes, I'm clearly out of high school. Well, these days, athletics are starting to become littered with everybody, not just the highest performing, but you can't take a few example and try to make a valid conclusion out of that when the majority would clearly be higher performing. Did I say they had to be the highest performing student in the school? No. But I did say, however, that it would help you through advanced courses because you don't want to take the minority of students who didn't play sports as opposed to the majority who are in advanced classes, and in sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Forcing a disinterested, unathletic kid to play a sport will not make her athletic.
Ok, so if they were not conditioned for that stuff when they were younger, then no kidding. They aren't going to be be athletic. Unless the child has some disability that won't allow them to play a sport properly, they can do really well in a sport.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:42 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
that was college, not high school. lol I'm just about to finish up college (and am already in the professional job world), {nice try, but no cigar} anyway, but I'm assuming he meant high school. And yes, I'm clearly out of high school. Well, these days, athletics are starting to become littered with everybody, not just the highest performing, but you can't take a few example and try to make a valid conclusion out of that when the majority would clearly be higher performing. Did I say they had to be the highest performing student in the school? No. But I did say, however, that it would help you through advanced courses because you don't want to take the minority of students who didn't play sports as opposed to the majority who are in advanced classes, and in sports.

Ok, so if they were not conditioned for that stuff when they were younger, then no kidding. They aren't going to be be athletic. Unless the child has some disability that won't allow them to play a sport properly, they can do really well in a sport.
Patently false.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:45 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Athletes are not even close to being the "best" students at even most schools. That is some weird generalization you have brought into hook, line and sinker... but it is not true. In no way is athletics the only or even best way to find an academically high-achieving crowd to run with.

Every school is different and maybe it was that way where you went, but as a general rule? NOPE.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
The best kids in school were the ones who did sports, including me. Look, I know kids who were in sports when they were frickin' 3, and there's nothing wrong with that. If they don't have any sports, especially over the summer, then they're going to get negative influence from kids who don't do anything, their friends are going to be kids who don't play any sports (& smoke 420 because it's "cool") and she's not going to be friends with smarter kids who are generally the ones who played sports in the future, so when she needs help with her homework, she's not going to have many friends to help her. In sports groups, we always cared a lot about sports, and we could always rely on each other for help. Don't listen to your daughter that way. Just tell her what I said, and that you know what's best. I have an utter dislike for parents who think 5-year-olds are rational enough to make these major decisions.
Oh geez. This is beyond ridiculous. My daughter, almost 16, always hated sports and she's a great kid who makes wonderful grades, has a very supportive group of friends and has never had a drink or done any drugs. There are lots of things for kids to do at school and in their communities besides sports.

Last edited by Jaded; 06-24-2014 at 07:49 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 09:13 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You are missing the point. It will teach her many things, not least of which will be the habit of an active lifestyle.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:32 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You are missing the point. It will teach her many things, not least of which will be the habit of an active lifestyle.
Yes, but there are lots of ways to teach the habit of a healthy lifestyle besides sports.

If you force a kid to play who doesn't want to be there, it won't teach her anything other than her opinion doesn't matter. It might also teach her to fake a tummy ache or injury to get out of playing.

It's perfectly fine to introduce a kid to sports and have them play on a team for a season, even if they protest initially. But if, after the first season they say they don't want to play any more, you shouldn't make them continue. That won't do anyone any good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting