U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 07:27 PM

39,031 posts, read 37,675,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
[quote=runswithscissors;31740382]I don't have time to read through the thread. I won't go into life style or anything that you may have already answered or reasons for this situation or whatever.

While you make some good points about nutrition, the gist of your message is not applicable to the underlying problem. Please DO read the entire thread for complete understanding - the OP's initial post does not make clear the whole problem, which is far more about very insecure kids who've undergone a lot of sad and scary experiences than it is nutrition or children going hungry.

You found time to post, yet you couldn't find time to read the thread to which you were responding??
Yep.

"I didn't read the entire thread ..." = "I'm about to post something totally NOT helpful."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 08:54 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
Don't count on school food being something that fills them up. It often tastes like crap and ends up in the trash anyway. I know, I worked school lunch rooms for years. Why don't you just have food out for them to eat whenever are hungry? A fruit bowl, a box of crackers, whatever. Don't tell me you can't afford it. This isn't rocket science, you DO NOT have to monitor every morsel that goes into their mouths because of money. Let them have some say it the matter and not feel like they have to "steal" (which in my house was called "feeding yourself").

I'm telling you right now, you are setting EVERYONE up for a lifetime of food issues and emotional problems if you make food a battle point. I don't care what your personal / financial situation is.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:18 PM

699 posts, read 830,629 times
Default Should I take this seriously????

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Don't know what to do! We have a 7 y/o girl, 5 y/o girl, 3 y/o boy, and 1.5 y/o boy.

The problem mainly lies with my 3 year old boy. Just this morning, I walk into the kitchen and notice a dining room chair in front of the fridge, with the stool on it. He took the brand new loaf of bread from the top of the fridge and brought it in his room, where he and his little brother were just munching on all of it. The bread was ruined, slobbered on, ripped, squished etc. He also went into the fridge and ate 6 of the 8 cinnabons we baked last night. Why was the bread on top of the fridge and pushed so far back you may ask...? Because just yesterday morning all 4 of them managed to get a DIFFERENT loaf of bread, and ate the entire thing.

This past Friday after getting out of the shower to go check on the girls doing their homework in the dining room, I hear the oldest one scramble from the kitchen and run back into the dining room. They stole candy from the fridge (and lied about it). About a week ago, after the kids had finished eating (myself and their mother hadn't ate yet, we were doing homework) and when we went into the kitchen to grab our chicken, one was missing and the other piece of chicken had bite marks all over it.

These are just a few of many examples. We have tried putting them in the corner and time out and talking to them, taking away TV, taking away toys, we have even spanked them about it. It is still happening. It is wasting our money like crazy. We are at a loss on what to do. Please, suggestions! Cheap suggestions. We are not a wealthy family by any means. So buying locks for cabinets/fridge will have to be a last resort, and only after a few more paychecks come in. Please! Going crazy.

Oh, and by the way, they are teaching the 20 month old baby that this is okay. I know this because he stays at home with his mom while I'm at school, and I guess she fell asleep today because when I got home there were crackers all over his room.....

These kids are not starving at all. I love food, so I cook a lot of good and healthy meals that everyone enjoys. They eat plenty. Yes the dad is the main cook here, lol.
Curiously I am interested at the definition of your supposed location "Fayettenam". Do me a favor and look up the definition in the Urban Dictionary. Are you attempting to portray a person living up to that definition. "3 Year Old brings chair to a refrigerator to snatch a loaf of bread and brings to a room to share with a 1.5 year old brother." Let him eat he is far more gifted than you might ever know. You might have a camera can you photo this activity for us. It is interesting you bring in the chicken lest it would have no ethnic inkling at all. ARE YOU SERIOUS????????????????????????

Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,377,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
[quote=runswithscissors;31740382]I don't have time to read through the thread. I won't go into life style or anything that you may have already answered or reasons for this situation or whatever.

Strictly speaking of food....I think you need some food education. Good foods versus bad. If it didn't exist centuries ago, don't eat it. Meaning no JUICE eat the whole FRUIT. Certain foods fill you UP others don't. FIBER in foods and FATS and PROTEINS fill you UP. NOT BREAD. (or junk food in fact, make you crave more because you are not getting full or your body is craving more quality)

Don't buy ANY junk food like candy. Don't serve processed foods like anything with sugar or even frozen "tater tot" type of crap. Even a "loaf of bread" is pretty much wasted calories. Eating an APPLE with a protein like cheese (or a meat/egg) fills you up WAY more than gulping down sugary apple juice. Sugary apple juice makes your body crave MORE sugar.

Make FILLING QUALITY meals. They don't have to be expensive. Make Beans and a WHOLE GRAIN and a high fiber veg like broccoli. Even peanut butter will fill up a little kid. Add banana, etc.

Make sure ALL of them are eating these meals in a structured setting. If they "won't eat broccoli" chop it up into small bits and hide it in a macaroni and cheese. Throw in chopped up ham from a canned ham you can get at the store. HARD BOILED EGGS. Cheap. More filling than chicken. Sweet potatoes = healthy. Plain white rice not so healthy or especially filling.

Chicken is NOT filling. Red meat IS filling; so are beans. Chicken especially white meat is a lean diet food. see the difference? If you're feeding a chicken, you need to supplement it with a WHOLE GRAIN or high fiber vegetable like dark greens, broccoli, cauliflower etc. This fills them up and is healthy. (ok some people don't love grains for various reasons but I'm not addressing that)

Humans also need FATS which not only help the body but contribute to being "full". Don't buy anything fake processed as "low fat". It's chemically altered. For example buy WHOLE FAT sour cream not "low fat". If you eat dairy. Ditto yogurt etc. Buy BUTTER not chemical margarine. Use olive oil on food. It's healthy and filling and a "good" food versus fake oils squeezed out of corn.

My kid LOVED eating this way. He didn't know anything else. When he was a year old he was eating lamb shank with garlic, broccoli and a whole grain I made for dinner the night before and left for the baby sitter to serve. To this day he has broccoli cravings.

Once you know they are FULL then you can evaluate it. If they are STARVING and can't find bread or candy they're going to eat what they find. BEANS AND RICE, tuna fish, or a banana or carrot for example. You can't get much cheaper than that and it's not unhealthy.

Lastly, kids as they get older WILL eat like, FOREVER if it's junk food or something they love. My kid's birthday party when I served pizza taught me that. A bunch of big-ish boys scarfing down WAY TOO MUCH and looking for more. Feeding REAL foods that FILL THEM UP with no junk food around will put a stop to this PRONTO.
Quote:
While you make some good points about nutrition, the gist of your message is not applicable to the underlying problem. Please DO read the entire thread for complete understanding - the OP's initial post does not make clear the whole problem, which is far more about very insecure kids who've undergone a lot of sad and scary experiences than it is nutrition or children going hungry.

You found time to post, yet you couldn't find time to read the thread to which you were responding??
[/quote]

Yeah that's right. I chose not to forage through everyone else's opinions, I couldn't care less what other people had to say. And yes, you need to

EVERYTHING I said is related to the "problem". You guys just LOVE jumping on reading into things when you don't even know the person. He's feeding/buying CRAP. Bottom line. He even said "Oh it's possible they are throwing away their lunch so they get more recess". Go ahead...facepalm again HERE.

Perhaps you forgot it's easy to read an individual's posts via their profile. I have no reason to read the ENTIRE THREAD to read what the guy said. I said "I WON"T GO INTO YOUR EXCUSES" not that I didn't READ HIS POSTS.

This is not the first family to work shifts, or be students, or work extensive hours, or live in a bad neighborhood or be poor or even be drug and alcohol abusers or anything else. People have been doing it FOREVER. And DUH the issue is NOT "stealing food". Yet the kids are UP AND AROUND with NO SUPERVISION. "Oh my wife must have been asleep".

I DID notice alot of welfare recommendations WIC, SNAP, or to get taxpayer funded free school meals even though "it's possible they're throwing out their lunch" (as IF THE OP HAS NO CLUE??).

LOL you Liberals all looking to push a cause instead of being honest. NOT EVEN A PROFESSIONAL knowing them in PERSON is going to come up with any rational analysis of this guy's situation as long as he's not feeding CORRECTLY. Get back to me when they ONLY HAVE filling quality food available - all which can be done CHEAPLY as I proved. And a JOURNAL of MEALS. I won't hold my breath.

Don't have so many kids and stop buying JUNK FOOD. Is that better? Oh, and go get them tested for Prader-Willi Syndrom. But I'm sure since you GOOGLED it you already read that and discussed it with their pediatrician.

"OMG OMG MY KIDS ARE EATING TOO MANY CARROTS AND TUNA FISH AND POWDERED MILK".

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-10-2013 at 07:01 AM..

Old 10-10-2013, 07:10 AM

39,031 posts, read 37,675,762 times
LOL @ "...all you liberals."

That escalated quickly!

Old 10-10-2013, 09:25 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,283,584 times
I'd double check that the kids are getting the extra food at school. We didn't have enough food for most of my childhood. After a considerable amount of arguing with my father, my mother finally convinced him to allow her to sign us up for free lunches. My mother thinking we were getting free lunches quit packing the meager lunches she had been making for us. During the overheard arguments, I had come to the conclusion that the free lunches were shameful - and my fellow classmates reinforced this idea to be sure. So I often pretended to not be hungry or busy working on homework during lunch hour.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 AM

11,229 posts, read 9,228,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I'd double check that the kids are getting the extra food at school. We didn't have enough food for most of my childhood. After a considerable amount of arguing with my father, my mother finally convinced him to allow her to sign us up for free lunches. My mother thinking we were getting free lunches quit packing the meager lunches she had been making for us. During the overheard arguments, I had come to the conclusion that the free lunches were shameful - and my fellow classmates reinforced this idea to be sure. So I often pretended to not be hungry or busy working on homework during lunch hour.

At our kids' school, the free lunches are the same lunches as what the families can buy. No one knows who gets free or reduced fee lunches.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:33 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,283,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
At our kids' school, the free lunches are the same lunches as what the families can buy. No one knows who gets free or reduced fee lunches.
Ours were the same too. Free had a different color punch card than paid, so I'd get the lunch if I was in line with kids I didn't know - and could be very quick about showing the card and putting it back in it's holder... If I got "stuck" in line with kids I knew, I'd say I forgot something and get out of line...

Old 10-10-2013, 11:42 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,587,648 times
I agree with everyone else - these kids are not getting enough food. Sometimes parents think because they are not hungry, the kids are also not hungry. However, kids often need to eat more frequently than adults. I suggest what Michelle Obama does - put out some healthy snacks that they can have whenever they want. She mentioned nuts and dry fruit, but you could also put out crackers, fruit, carrot sticks, etc. If you are cooking three meals a day and expecting them to eat only that, it's not enough. If you don't want to feed them more meals or make snacks, just put the food you want them to have out. If there is candy or other things that they might want even when they are not hungry (sorry, kids stealing bread are HUNGRY, but the candy is another matter), then just don't have it in the house.

Now seeing that school lunch is considered a meal for these kids - I think not. The food is not great, and a lot of it is so bad that the kids won't eat it. Most of the kids at my school threw the whole lunch away (can't say I blame them, either) and maybe ate just the desert.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:55 AM

84,961 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I agree with everyone else - these kids are not getting enough food. Sometimes parents think because they are not hungry, the kids are also not hungry. However, kids often need to eat more frequently than adults. I suggest what Michelle Obama does - put out some healthy snacks that they can have whenever they want. She mentioned nuts and dry fruit, but you could also put out crackers, fruit, carrot sticks, etc. If you are cooking three meals a day and expecting them to eat only that, it's not enough. If you don't want to feed them more meals or make snacks, just put the food you want them to have out. If there is candy or other things that they might want even when they are not hungry (sorry, kids stealing bread are HUNGRY, but the candy is another matter), then just don't have it in the house.

Now seeing that school lunch is considered a meal for these kids - I think not. The food is not great, and a lot of it is so bad that the kids won't eat it. Most of the kids at my school threw the whole lunch away (can't say I blame them, either) and maybe ate just the desert.
If you read the OP, you'll see that the biggest problem is with the 3 yo, who is really too young to prepare his/her own snacks yet. The parents are stressed out, and the kids are minimally supervised. I'm with the people who say someone needs to cut back their hours, either at work or at school, and provide a little more supervision for the kids. Either that, or put the two youngest in day care for more hours, so they can supervise and feed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting