Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 05:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetravelingblondes View Post
Semantics aside...if your kids are fiends for sugar, (I noticed nobody is stealing spinach), then get that crap out of the house. Time for a family-wide detox. If there have been any antibiotics used, that might explain some sugar cravers too.
But they are also "stealing" chicken. Yes, one of them did "steal" cinnamon rolls, but its not just sweets that they are wanting. People would be reacting a lot differently if the OP was just complaining about his children eating candy and sweets all the time. Children don't "steal" chicken because they are sugar fiends, they do it because they are hungry. Having less food in the house and doing a detox is not going to help this family's needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 05:19 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,820,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threetravelingblondes View Post
Eating food that is off-limits (like...shouldn't be in the home anyway) should never be equated to stealing.

When they see you eat it, do you call it stealing too?

What a way to develop a future criminal! If I get a criminal label just for eating food, in my own home, what on earth comes next?

Semantics aside...if your kids are fiends for sugar, (I noticed nobody is stealing spinach), then get that crap out of the house. Time for a family-wide detox. If there have been any antibiotics used, that might explain some sugar cravers too.
Yes, if a kid is "stealing" when eating sugary food, and they see adults doing it, they should be called "stealing too. But better, the kid should not be labeled as "stealing" because that makes it sound very serious.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I was beaten as a child for "stealing" food. My Father bought Twinkies and chips and soda for himself. If I ate any of "his" food, I was whipped. My food, was oatmeal, or soup and crackers. He designated areas where his food was kept. He would eat meat, fresh fruit, I got canned soup.

Parents and children should eat together, and eat the same food, as a family, there should not be "parents food" and "kid food".

So, that is my perspective....no apologies from me on my stance on any person who says kids "steal food".

If you can't afford food for your children, with WIC, and food pantries, then I suggest there are problems...and maybe Social Services in your state can provide solutions.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Doesn't matter if it's granola bars or spinach, they are not being watched and being given to a baby who is not being supervised while he eats. I truly sympathize with OP and his girlfriend as I think they are really trying to improve a difficult situation but there are dangerous things going on too.
Yes, the parents need to not only think about their children's food needs, but also their safety. The baby is going to end up chocking on something he shouldn't be eating, and the 3 year old is going to end up seriously injured from climbing up on top of the refrigerator to get food. They might end up pulling the pantry shelves down, or even the stove. Its just an all around dangerous situation for all of the children.

This thread is so hard to read. I feel so bad for these children. I understand that the parents are working all the time and going to school to try and give their children a better life in the future, but they also need to think about what is going on right now. The children need to have a safe, nurturing home environment. These children will end up with so many problems if the parents wait for better times in order to give the children a decent life. I really hope the OP's wife considers not going to school next semester while OP finishes up so that she can stay home and be there (and awake) for the children. These parents chose to have four children, they need to be there for them. Its not fair to the children that they are constantly unsupervised and must fend for themselves.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:29 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
See that is another thing why would they take chicken ? most kids sneak cookies and cakes and sweet things . My opinion is that if a child is taking chicken it is because they are hungry ....Plain and simple and the parents are not watching them eat and making sure they eat . Get off the school studies for half an hour and sit with your kids and make sure they are eating . I would much rather get an f grade on an assignment than having my kids going hungry . Someone needs to step up to the plate so to speak and it is not the kids ....

Old 10-08-2013, 05:35 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I was beaten as a child for "stealing" food. My Father bought Twinkies and chips and soda for himself. If I ate any of "his" food, I was whipped. My food, was oatmeal, or soup and crackers. He designated areas where his food was kept. He would eat meat, fresh fruit, I got canned soup.

Parents and children should eat together, and eat the same food, as a family, there should not be "parents food" and "kid food".

So, that is my perspective....no apologies from me on my stance on any person who says kids "steal food".

If you can't afford food for your children, with WIC, and food pantries, then I suggest there are problems...and maybe Social Services in your state can provide solutions.
Yep I know what you mean Jasper my mother kept food away from us too . My brother was overweight and Im skinny as a rail and i still think it is because my mother took food away and locked it up yes she locked the cabinets and we could not eat before school cause she had to get ready for work herself and she did not have time to watch us eat . But yet she had her cigarettes every morning . Yep one day I took her cigarettes outta her purse and hid them , boy did I get a strapping for that and I mean a strapping . So yes I agree with you 100 % . I dont believe restricting food is the way to teach children to eat in moderation ...

Old 10-08-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Thats horrible, I can't even imagine doing that to a child. My family always had family dinner together, we all ate what my mom prepared. My parents did have their "own" food, but it was slim fast shakes and healthy choice cookies, things that us kids didn't want.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:03 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Um... chicken tastes good. So does bread. I would sneak non-snack food all the time when I was a kid.

Throw out/Lock up everything sweet, sour, salty, or processed at all. Stock the fridge with nothing but washed celery, carrots, spinach, cauliflower, and broccoli. See if the little raccoons keep raiding your campsite.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Don't know what to do! We have a 7 y/o girl, 5 y/o girl, 3 y/o boy, and 1.5 y/o boy.

The problem mainly lies with my 3 year old boy. Just this morning, I walk into the kitchen and notice a dining room chair in front of the fridge, with the stool on it. He took the brand new loaf of bread from the top of the fridge and brought it in his room, where he and his little brother were just munching on all of it. The bread was ruined, slobbered on, ripped, squished etc. He also went into the fridge and ate 6 of the 8 cinnabons we baked last night. Why was the bread on top of the fridge and pushed so far back you may ask...? Because just yesterday morning all 4 of them managed to get a DIFFERENT loaf of bread, and ate the entire thing.

This past Friday after getting out of the shower to go check on the girls doing their homework in the dining room, I hear the oldest one scramble from the kitchen and run back into the dining room. They stole candy from the fridge (and lied about it). About a week ago, after the kids had finished eating (myself and their mother hadn't ate yet, we were doing homework) and when we went into the kitchen to grab our chicken, one was missing and the other piece of chicken had bite marks all over it.

These are just a few of many examples. We have tried putting them in the corner and time out and talking to them, taking away TV, taking away toys, we have even spanked them about it. It is still happening. It is wasting our money like crazy. We are at a loss on what to do. Please, suggestions! Cheap suggestions. We are not a wealthy family by any means. So buying locks for cabinets/fridge will have to be a last resort, and only after a few more paychecks come in. Please! Going crazy.

Oh, and by the way, they are teaching the 20 month old baby that this is okay. I know this because he stays at home with his mom while I'm at school, and I guess she fell asleep today because when I got home there were crackers all over his room.....

These kids are not starving at all. I love food, so I cook a lot of good and healthy meals that everyone enjoys. They eat plenty. Yes the dad is the main cook here, lol.
We see lots of malnourished children with excess weight. Intake of food does not equal nutrition. They sound like they are not eating properly. Do you eat SAD (Standard American Diet)? Refined carbs and dead flesh, oh my!

Old 10-08-2013, 07:06 PM

701 posts, read 1,690,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
The thought of children stealing food at home I can´t really understand- you are a family and the food is as much theirs as yours.
Unless they are stealing it from the store the are just getting something to eat like anyone else. Just try to keep mostly healthy stuff around.
I'd call it "sneaking," not "stealing," but it's definitely wrong. A stressed family on a very strict budget can't afford to have kids eating entire loaves of bread that are intended to last a few days. Food is getting more expensive all the time, especially good food like mild, bread, and eggs. Contrary to what some people have said, I don't see any problem with limiting a child's intake to three square meals and a snack.

My siblings and I were certainly raised to ask for permission to get food from the fridge or cupboards until we were in our teens. Our parents weren't poor, but they weren't rich either, and we were taught to respect the cost of items. Sure, we broke the rules occasionally, and we got in trouble for it, but there was no systematic problem like the OP is dealing with.

Back to the OP: I commend you for trying to get through school. Is your girlfriend/wife as far along in school as you are, or can she take a break until next June when you graduate?

I agree that talking with the teachers or lunchroom aides is crucial: I hated school food growing up. Fortunately, my parents could afford to make lunch for me to take and I didn't have to rely on free/reduced school lunch or breakfast to get by. But the possibility that your kids are not eating their school food is reasonable.

Another thought: do the kids go grocery shopping with you? I had wonderful times with my father going grocery shopping as a kid (yes, he too was the cook in our family!). I learned an awful lot about the cost of things and the options available at the store by shopping with him. Of course, you'd have to be insistent about what you can and can't buy, but grocery shopping can be lots of fun. Maybe take one of the older kids with you as a reward each week? Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting