Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 05:56 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I you know your neighbors well enough, could you take some treats for him over ahead of time so that the neighbor can actually give him the treat? (I would do this even for a person that I didn't know) The fact that he gets a handful of treats in his bag that he can have may be exciting for him and make him feel special.

Even if it's just a neighbor or two giving him a few treats, he will love it and it will help reinforce what he can have when you help him sort through the bag instead of the idea that it is all off limits.

I like the candy fairy idea as well!

Great idea also : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
I had a neighbor that didn't want her children to eat candy (she was very into natural/organic/vegan) and she came over earlier in the day and gave me a treat she made. She asked if I could give it to her kids when they ToT later. And I actually surprised her with my own treat I bought especially for her kids. (a vegan treat I picked up at Earth Fare) She was touched and really appreciative. But if I hadn't already bought the treats, I would have gladly handed out hers with no problem.

Would your neighbors do the same? And obviously these would be the ones you know personally. That way when you get home with all the treats, you can sort through them together and say, "These will make you feel sick so let's not do these but oh look at all the ones you can have." That way you can both educate him and not have to be "too" sneaky.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:39 AM

lol The one time I didn't read the next page...what raindrop101 said!

Old 10-14-2013, 07:58 PM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times
Some people are considerate of the fact that not all kids can eat typical halloween candy. If this diet continues it couldn't hurt to kind of make a mention of it to friends and neighbors, even possibly contacting a local paper (like for next year, too soon now) to do an article on alternate halloween treats. These can be useful for smaller children, or kids whose parents don't want them to have too mcuh sugar. I have two bowls at my house, one with typical sugared candy, another with bubbles, or bouncy balls, goldfish packs, last year I had some tiny coloring books. I know not everyone does this sort of thing, but as more people are made aware it might become more prevalent.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:15 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
I think handing out toothbrushes and floss would be fun.l lol

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 10-15-2013, 07:34 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think handing out toothbrushes and floss would be fun.l lol

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
If I were a kid, that would have been even more embarrassing than the little boxes of raisons my grandmother gave out!

Old 10-15-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If I were a kid, that would have been even more embarrassing than the little boxes of raisons my grandmother gave out!
Not if they were dentists. We have a couple of them. One house we avoided though for this exact reason. Not that the toothbrushes weren't appreciated but they handed out ads attached to the toothbrushes featuring their office. No thank you. That's embarrassing.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
Some people are considerate of the fact that not all kids can eat typical halloween candy. If this diet continues it couldn't hurt to kind of make a mention of it to friends and neighbors, even possibly contacting a local paper (like for next year, too soon now) to do an article on alternate halloween treats. These can be useful for smaller children, or kids whose parents don't want them to have too mcuh sugar. I have two bowls at my house, one with typical sugared candy, another with bubbles, or bouncy balls, goldfish packs, last year I had some tiny coloring books. I know not everyone does this sort of thing, but as more people are made aware it might become more prevalent.
We have given out all kinds of stuff over the years in addition to candy. One year I found little bags of peanuts and the older kids, especially boys, really went for them. I have given out bubble soap in little bottles, little boxes of crayons, you name it. Some parents appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
A dentist who used to live in our neighborhood gave out full size candy bars, PLUS toothbrushes.

I kind of disagree with the special treat an individual kid. It seems like calling attention to the kid, which could even end up embarrassing to him. I like the candy exchange idea better.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:42 PM

384 posts, read 594,106 times
Since I recently just got my own little humble apartment I have really become worried about this, like I could inadvertently give a child with a nut allergy a snickers bar. Maybe I could just give out little airplanes or something.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:41 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
Since I recently just got my own little humble apartment I have really become worried about this, like I could inadvertently give a child with a nut allergy a snickers bar. Maybe I could just give out little airplanes or something.
I never lived in an apartment complex that got trick or treaters, so I wouldn't plan too much for Halloween. Even if there seems to be a lot of kids in the complex, they usually go elsewhere. If you are really worried about nut allergies you can just get smarties, star bursts, or tootsie rolls (tootsie rolls are nut free, gluten free, and kosher). But really, if a kid has a nut allergy, they're going to know what candy to eat (Or their parents will if they are too young). My brother has a nut allergy, and never had a problem going out on Halloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting