Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 02:56 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
Sorry to say, but I'd discourage it, too. Teach your kid other forms of affection: a kind note, helping the other students pick up their papers, allowing them to use the water fountain first, etc.

Save the kissing and hugging for home.

Playing devil's advocate here:
What if one kid has a mouth sore? Do you really want your kid exposed (even if it's not on the mouth, of course). What if someone is sick? What if it really isn't unwanted, but the other child doesn't know how to react? Kids sometimes giggle out of nervousness or not knowing what to do.

Follow the rules - save the hugs and kisses for playdates, family, home, etc., etc. School is for learning. Period.
This!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 03:13 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
This!
So you are now ok with "rules", and are backing down on your claims that kissing in kindergarten is mini rape and slobbering? Good to know.

I happen to agree. While I see nothing but innocence when two 5 yr olds want to express affection for each other, rules are rules, and best learned within the context of kindergarten. The stakes are much higher as they get older. And, that's a sad thing.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:29 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
So you are now ok with "rules", and are backing down on your claims that kissing in kindergarten is mini rape and slobbering? Good to know.

I happen to agree. While I see nothing but innocence when two 5 yr olds want to express affection for each other, rules are rules, and best learned within the context of kindergarten. The stakes are much higher as they get older. And, that's a sad thing.
Mattie no offence but is it possible you spent too much time kissing as a kid instead of learning to read. I agreed with the previous poster because their response showed they had some hometraining & believed that there are better ways to show affection eg writing notes plus they were aware of diseases that could be passed on from child to child.

I did not back away from anything

Old 10-16-2013, 03:36 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Kissing in kindergarten? That's small potatoes. I remember playing "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" with the girls in 1st grade.
"I found that out when Mark Perper was running for class president in the third grade. Well, his campaign slogan was 'Vote for me and I'll show you my wee-wee.' He won by a landslide."

--Dorothy Zbornak

Old 10-18-2013, 03:27 AM

728 posts, read 1,899,549 times
I'm sorry but I haven't been able to stop laughing at "mini rape"....

My 5 year old son is in preschool and has a "girlfriend". The thing is that he calls every female friend of his a "girlfriend" so if you ask him how many he has he always says he has many and they are all over the place. One works at the local super market, another at the post office etc....It's cute and harmless.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:19 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
when my girls were in pre school and kindergarten every morning they greeted their best buddies with a warm hug and ever afternoon they hugged goodbye. I thought it was precious. I never noticed any kissing but if they did kiss it would not have bothered me one bit. I was happy they learned how to show affection and did not hold back expressing their love for their friends. Neither hugged every single kid- just their best playmates. As I remember it included boys and girls.
I did notice this stopped on its own by first grade although after a long break like Spring Break or Christmas they did run to embrace their friends.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Consensual has nothing to do with it. If a 13 year old girl ""consents"" to sex with a 31year old male its rape.

To reach her own, if I had a daughter I would not think its "'cute"" for her to be kissing boys in kindergarden. But hey the sooner they learn the better. After all whats worse than an inexperienced 8year old because at 5 they were not playing the kissing field.

Why are adults encouraging sexuality at such a young age. If little girls start kissing peers at a young age, they soon fall prey to pedophiles.

What's the rule, a boy can kiss you dear daughter if he is 5 but not if he is 18. Kids dont comprehend it like that so just keep the young boys off limits too. Kids just need to know that only mum & dad & auntie & grandma can kiss them. Anything else opens the gates to pedophiles.
This is incredibly sad. 5 year olds know nothing of sexuality. They know like and love and to tell a little boy "to stay away from girls" is setting a kid up for poor social skills later in life. So so incredibly sad ti think this way and to pass this way of thinking on to an innocent child.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:45 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,245 times
Let's think this through. At what grade should hugging and kissing at school become against the rules?

Old 10-19-2013, 01:51 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,298 times
So if my kid gives her dog a kiss is this like mini beastiality?

Old 10-19-2013, 06:56 PM

502 posts, read 896,026 times
I took issue with a little boy who continued to ask my daughter (in K) to kiss him even after she told him no or to stop. It was his refusal to accept her decision I had issues with. He was making her uncomfortable.

I also reported to the teacher in 1st grade the little boy who asked to see my daughter's underwear and then rubbed her back - under her shirt. She wisely said no to the first request and told him she would tell her mommy:-) She didn't quite know what to do with the second and "allowed" it hoping the teacher would see him and he would get in trouble for not keeping his hands to himself. This same child had repeatedly been somewhat mean to my daughter, so I asked they be moved away from each other.

However, whenever I pick the girls up early and they say goodbye to their little friends, they hug the little girls and boys and I have absolutely no problem with it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting