U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:35 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,981,636 times

Advertisements

So we introduced a new bed to our 2yr old and he doesnt seem to want to sleep. He will get up several time during the night calling for us. Sometime he turns on the light and tries to open the door. (we have one of the kid proof handles) . Anyway our strategy is to ignore this but we just wonder how long this will go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 02:56 PM

7 posts, read 19,000 times
I'm confused, you have a kid proof handle on in the inside?

Old 10-18-2013, 03:01 PM

198 posts, read 200,995 times
Before introducing him to a new bed, maybe you should get him ready for the change. Tell him, "You're a big boy and its time to sleep in a big boy bed". My toddler has been waking up in the middle of the night lately, finally last night she told me she wanted to sleep on the other side of the bed. We let her, and she didn't wake up. Try another position in the bed along with any stuffed animals or blanky he may like. Check under the bed and in the closets for monsters, and tell the monsters they better go home and not bother him while he's sleeping. Sounds crazy, but it worked for my daughter. I've even pretended to give the monsters spankings before bed so they would go home and leave her alone. Never hurts to try.
Good luck!

Old 10-18-2013, 04:13 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,155,933 times
I had that problem with my oldest. She couldn't get out of the crib, but she loved that she could roam with the big kid bed.

We finally pushed her bedtime back a little - she didn't need as much sleep as I thought she did. I also regularly (once or twice a week) swept the room for monsters and sprayed special Monster repellent (water in a squirt bottle) on all the walls and doors. And we consistently returned her to bed every single time.

Are you sure the kid-proof handle is a good idea in case of fire?

Old 10-18-2013, 04:20 PM

12,921 posts, read 19,803,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
I
Are you sure the kid-proof handle is a good idea in case of fire?
I can't believe it ever could be considered safe. I'd much rather parents with roaming toddlers place baby gates at their open doors. It would be interesting to hear a fire marshall's take on it.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:52 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,018,139 times
Why You Shouldn't use a Child Proof Door Knob on the Interior of the Door

Old 10-18-2013, 05:19 PM

9,458 posts, read 15,025,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I can't believe it ever could be considered safe. I'd much rather parents with roaming toddlers place baby gates at their open doors. It would be interesting to hear a fire marshall's take on it.

A child-proof handle is better than the kid roaming unsupervised in the middle of the night! Ad a baby gate they can just climb right over. My ds figured that out---he just stacked stuff until he could climb over!

Personally, I consider 2 a bit young for such freedom. We didn't put ours in regular beds until they were, about 4. We had those cribs that converted to a toddler bed, so we got our money's worth!My ds was the difficult case, he would climb out of his bed, roam the house, even open the door and go outside, in the middle of the night!

My advice, as now part of that group of "experienced" parents, wheen you get a new bed, keep the crib for awhile. If your child keeps getting out of bed and going places that aren't safe, tell him he will have to go back to the crib until he's ready to sleep in the big boy's bed. Then, follow through!

We even had alarms installed on outside doors and windows, set on instant, so we would be alerted if he opened a door/window! Ah, the good ol' days, I thought they would never end

Old 10-18-2013, 05:38 PM

12,921 posts, read 19,803,871 times
There are other options, such as a latching screen door on the bedroom. I don't like the idea of locking a child in behind a shut door.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:00 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,018,139 times
Heck, kids climb out of cribs too. It's best to baby proof the house, not lock children in their bedrooms. I never had problems with my children roaming around in the middle of the night. They either went to the bathroom or came into our room to get us. I always woke up to the slightest sound in my house. I still do even thought they are young adults now. If parents aren't light enough sleepers to hear their children in the middle of the night, an alarm on the bedroom door would be more appropriate than locking the child in the bedroom. How do people expect to potty train their children or avoid bed wetting problems if they lock their children in their bedrooms?

Old 10-18-2013, 08:21 PM

384 posts, read 499,218 times
Relish these days of your toddle's restlessness. You will miss them when your teenager refuses to get out of bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or