Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 03:10 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times

Advertisements

Nip it in the bud NOW. As someone else said, it's an INFLUENCE bribe. My career powerbattling my parents over my kid started when my mother REFUSED to honor my demand that she NOT PUT SALT on a baby's food like she did her own.

It was an OMEN. I should have stopped having him stay there for babysitting IMMEDIATELY. But I thought it was a nice thing when I had to go back to work part time when he was age 14 months and later full time when he was 3 years old. (company reasons). I thought it was more important to have that bond than "a few fights over values". FAIL. WRONG.

Let them shut down. This shows you THEY HAVE A PROBLEM.

Stop sending them over there.

ALL gifts must stay THERE.

Be crystal CLEAR and EXPLICIT with your parents without anger. AND YOUR CHILDREN.

If they break the rules the STUFF disappears. I don't really care WHERE you get rid of it. REDIRECT them from STUFF to activities like sports or whatever they like and do not allow the parents to buy the 2000.00 of hockey equipment. Buy it USED at a second hand store or whatever.

I promise you it just gets worse.

One year behind closed doors, I heard my parents scheming to put my 9 year old in a PROFESSIONAL kid go cart complete with the fire proof outfit etc. For races on a quarter mile oval banked racetrack and OTHERS that actual RACE CARS raced on.

My step father had a 48 foot boat when I was a kid for weekends etc....and sold it for a modified stock car hobby ...that competed all over the east coast. So he was INTO that crap. I hated having to go there instead of our nice boat life.

Anyway, we had a fight about this go cart scheme and I KNEW I got nowhere with it. They delivered the entire package including the custom airbrush helmet, custom painted truck and PIT CREW with matching OUTFITS FFS. I had NO IDEA the "season" lasted every single weekend both days from early spring till late fall.

This is just ONE EXAMPLE of the selfishness, overreach and disrespect they showed me. NO REGARD for what was best for the kid and learning how to live without being showered with stuff every day of his life. NO concern whatsoever that it was a SLIGHT ISSUE that I and his father would not SEE HIM every weekend for most of the year unless we dragged ourselves to that disgusting place with them.

They kept upping the ante and doing everything humanly possible to entice him to want to stay at their luxurious home including putting a $30,000 pool in. He NEVER had a single chore to do. Their idea of chores was sitting on my father's lap while he drove the lawn tractor around. Why? Because they could and were bored and he was their RE-Doo.

PUT A STOP TO IT NOW for the sake of your kids.

My mother left a substantial estate/trust to my son, which was much appreciated. Spread out until age 40. BUT it did NOT make up for all the lessons he failed to learn growing up that way and the ongoing lack of responsibility he grew up with and even NOW at his adult age says WTF. Also, as she and he got older like a teen, she was unable to see what he was really doing when going there for the weekend. Like during poker parties in the basement sneaking beer in and her being CLUELESS because she was going to bed earlier etc etc.

It's a SPIRAL. They get more friends over in that neighborhood than yours and so it begins. The nagging the phone calls etc.

There are PLENTY of ways for well to do grandparents to throw money at kids like a expensive family cruise once a year to an exotic or exciting place. That won't create a series of problems for your kids.

But NO. Because that prevents them from reliving their parenting all over again in their senior years.

Lucky for me I don't have that "disease". My kid has no kids and I am THRILLED.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-19-2013 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 03:13 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Nip it in the bud NOW. As someone else said, it's an INFLUENCE bribe. My career powerbattling my parents over my kid started with my mother REFUSED to honor my demand that she NOT PUT SALT on a baby's food like she did her own.

It was an OMEN.

Stop sending them over there.

ALL gifts must stay THERE.

Be crystal CLEAR and EXPLICIT with your parents without anger.

I promise you it just gets worse.

One year behind closed doors, I heard my parents scheming to put my 9 year old in a PROFESSIONAL kid go cart complete with the fire proof outfit etc. My step father had a 48 foot boat when I was a kid for weekends etc....and sold it for a modified stock car hobby ...that competed all over the east coast. So he was INTO that crap. I hated having to go there instead of our nice boat life.

Anyway, we had a fight about this go cart scheme and I KNEW I got nowhere with it. They delivered the entire package including the custom airbrush helmet, custom painted truck and PIT CREW with matching OUTFITS FFS. I had NO IDEA the "season" lasted every single weekend both days from early spring till late fall.

This is just ONE EXAMPLE of the selfishness, overreach and disrespect they showed me. NO REGARD for what was best for the kid and learning how to live without being showered with stuff every day of his life.

PUT A STOP TO IT NOW for the sake of your kids.

Did you send the entire package back to them unopened?

Old 10-19-2013, 03:36 PM

Alternatively do what I did when the school would NOT listen to me when I said I didn't place a value on the stupid cursive penmanship book.

I said "Give me the book for the year to work on at home".

Then in june I returned it back EMPTY.

I said: "Well you wouldn't listen to me, did you think I was KIDDING about my OWN KID and PRIORITIES"???

Get rid of the toys and when the grandparents hear about it from the complaining kids say the same thing.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Did you send the entire package back to them unopened?
Package? Go Kart?

Dude. That was a form of speech.

It was a HUGE REAL GO CART, transport truck, and PIT CREW. In matching outfits. GROWN MEN. LOL. In their driveway ready to go one Sunday with my kid screaming crying that I was ruining his life by objecting.

The following year they bought a back up go kart for the go cart.

IT NEVER ENDS!!!

Old 10-19-2013, 03:45 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Package? Go Kart?

Dude. That was a form of speech.

It was a HUGE REAL GO CART, transport truck, and PIT CREW. In matching outfits. GROWN MEN. LOL. In their driveway ready to go one Sunday with my kid screaming crying that I was ruining his life by objecting.

The following year they bought a back up go kart for the go cart.

IT NEVER ENDS!!!
First it is DUDETTE.

Next: it DOES END when YOU QUIT ALLOWING IT TO CONTINUE.

I understood completely what you meant and my question was did you send it all back?
Did you refuse to allow the child to go?
Did you send the "grown men" and their truck and matching outfits on their way without your child?

Old 10-19-2013, 06:18 PM

384 posts, read 594,158 times
Grandparents aren't replaceable and have limited time left before they are gone forever. The comments on this thread....

Old 10-19-2013, 06:45 PM

524 posts, read 843,260 times
I would totally pretend you know nothing about the wii and ask them to help you pay for a week of camp for each boy in robotics or radio controlled cars or airplane camp next summer

Old 10-19-2013, 06:57 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
Grandparents aren't replaceable and have limited time left before they are gone forever. :
That's certainly true. It does not however give them the right to usurp the authority of the parents. And the same thing can be said about parents. They aren't replaceable and they only have a short period of time to instill the values in their kids that they hold dear.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:59 PM

728 posts, read 1,898,904 times
Thank you everyone for all the great ideas especially the idea about having them go through their toy collection and donating toys they will no longer play with. This will certainly help with allowing them to see how nice it is to GIVE rather than receive.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:18 PM

384 posts, read 594,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
That's certainly true. It does not however give them the right to usurp the authority of the parents. And the same thing can be said about parents. They aren't replaceable and they only have a short period of time to instill the values in their kids that they hold dear.
I would say parents have more of a lifespan with their children, but elderly grandparents are more suspectable to disease and death. My mom's mother is almost 71 and due to her Parkinson's and dementia, the doctors told us we have less than a decade left before she passes away. It just saddens me to read these responses on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting