U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 10-21-2013, 09:42 AM
1 posts, read 1,327 times
Reputation: 10



i currently reside in Oklahoma and i have a friend who is an international student. However, he has a child here in the United States and will be returning to his country before the end of the year. Since the birth of the child, he has taken care of the child to the best of his abilities. However, recently, the mother is beginning to pose problems and her main despair is about her and not the child. He has made known his intentions and is ready to take care of his child no matter what. However, the mother is beginning to act as though there is no father and only needing him when something is needed for the child. What are the repercussions of him being an international student and the fact that he is leaving the country soon but has however reiterated that he will take care of the child? Also, if the woman had to file for child support, will the case be valid? How about child care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Location: southwestern PA
20,426 posts, read 35,801,309 times
Reputation: 38836
Your friend needs to see a lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 11:36 PM
545 posts, read 1,082,157 times
Reputation: 823
If the mother files for support, it will be valid anywhere in the US. It doesn't matter that he's an international student. The US has agreements with some foreign countries to enforce and collect child support between them.
Foreign Reciprocating Countries | Office of Child Support Enforcement | Administration for Children and Families. If he's a resident of one of those countries, it's probably going to be enforced similarly to how it would be in the US (wage garnishment). If for some reason he neglects to pay and returns to the US, he could be arrested on the spot for failure to pay support.

To be honest, it doesn't matter that he's saying he'll support his child. The child support agency will probably treat him like a criminal anyways. Sad to say, but they tend to act the same towards those who want to do right as they do deadbeats. I predict some added hostility with him getting ready to leave the country.

I'd suggest that he try to set up something amicably with the mother ahead of time and put everything in writing. If that doesn't work, he should hire a lawyer immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top