Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 03:00 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
A 15 and a 16 year old shouldn't have been left home alone for a weekend. Idiot parents.
You're right..even more so for giving their daughters a record...pathetic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 03:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's still trespassing because the home owner did not invite them.
That is 100% incorrect.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 22,879 times
Being a parent should not involve the police. Way to say "Hey kids I'm not a persuasive enough authority figure so here's a cop." Jesus a parent can't parent their own kids? Not to mention high school kids often invite their friends over while parents are gone and have high school parties. Maybe your kids don't but MANY do. And no they are not going to tell you because parenting has turned into this control match and they feel threatened by you. It's an important part of a child's development a skill to think outside what their parents and law teach, and develop a skill to question authority. No matter how scary that sounds, its true.
Many kids kept in strict homes that threaten punishment this way never learn this skill, in fact it does not amplify respect, only fear. Lack of this skill creates the people who followed Hitler. Instead of threatening your kids you should make it clear that your house means a lot to you so be careful. Kids should be aloud to have friend over when your not around, it's part of gaining trust. Kids should be taught why they shouldn't consume alcohol and what to expect if they do, but to expect them not to is well.... as soon as they go off to college, freshman year they will most likely drink and because they have not grown up with learning the dangers or experiences of drinking, many collage sex crimes occur freshman year. The victim is usually a young naive girl who not only has no experience with alcohol but also has not developed a good skill of questioning. Scarier yet many of those girls never tell police or their parents. I wonder why?
And to say respect and trust starts at the crib is ludicrous. Parents, and people in general do not seem to know what respect and trust is. A child should gain trust and respect from his/her parents as well. This is a relationship not a dictatorship.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:06 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I agree that the kids were too young to be left alone, the parents could also be charged with neglect, especially since the kids are obviously not mature enough nor trustworthy.
Neglect? lol

Old 10-26-2013, 02:17 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
It's interesting to see some posts talk about not wanting to deal with all the other parents so they would call the police.

Won't the police call all the parents while there? Do they take them to the station and then call? How does that work? And won't some of those parents be livid that they didn't get a chance to correct the situation with their own child and has to deal with the police?

As I posted earlier, if these were problem children, I can see why the parents are fed up and call the police BUT if they were problem children to begin with, why leave them alone without anyone checking on them? It's a really tough call.

Googled and it looks like in majority of the cases with no adults present, the police will call all the parents while ON the premises to pick up their children and they were cited with a charge.

At least that party was 30...this one had 144!

http://www.13wham.com/news/features/...ors-6087.shtml

Old 10-26-2013, 02:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Neglect? lol
Yes, I would say it's neglect.

Young immature irresponsible children should never be left unattended for long periods of times. At this age, it would be okay for a parent to leave the kids home alone to do some shopping but not overnight.

It's never good to leave sneaky lying kids unattended with guns and alcohol available.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:39 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
A 15 and a 16 year old shouldn't have been left home alone for a weekend. Idiot parents.
Some kids. I was left at home at 16 and the most outrageous thing I did was break my phone curfew. I'm not sure what I would have done. These days I can only imagine how disrespectful and flippant kids would be if you tried to lock them in to call their parents. I'd probably end up in jail myself for smacking one of them

Old 10-27-2013, 07:43 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
This whole situation makes me wonder if one parent was a step parent, we don't know. But that explains the leaving teens alone for a weekend, and the lack of respect from the teens, and over reaction of a non parent.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:33 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
I'm not sure the parents did wrong by calling the police. (Mind you, they shouldn't have let the kids home alone.) But look at it this way. No kid in their right mind would want to come to this house for a party again on the chance the kids throw another one.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:10 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
The first mistake was leaving two teenagers home alone for the weekend. I would not have called the police, there are other things they could have done. They need to either not go away or find somewhere for the kids to go for the weekend if they do go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting