Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 01:51 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
What? $650 per scout? I'd raise a stink. That popcorn is overpriced, and lousy to boot. I wonder how much from each sale the scouts actually net.
Agreed. That seems like a steep amount required.

Last year my husband felt pressured to buy from his bosses son - his wife and son came to the office selling! I don't think that's okay at all. I told him this year - NO BUYING! We throw it all out. No one will eat it.

Are you going to the same houses each weekend to hit them up for different things? I'm sure if you are that isn't helping either.

Back in the day I'd buy a token something when our son was selling stuff or just write a check. I was not comfortable hitting up friends, family or neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 02:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Agreed. That seems like a steep amount required.

Last year my husband felt pressured to buy from his bosses son - his wife and son came to the office selling! I don't think that's okay at all. I told him this year - NO BUYING! We throw it all out. No one will eat it.

Are you going to the same houses each weekend to hit them up for different things? I'm sure if you are that isn't helping either.

Back in the day I'd buy a token something when our son was selling stuff or just write a check. I was not comfortable hitting up friends, family or neighbors.
I would have less problem with the kid actually coming to the office than with these people who just bring the order blank in for their kids, although I agree it's pressure. Some of our doctors bring this stuff in, and they are our superiors, so I know the feeling.

Other than that, I agree with you. My daughters did sell GS cookies, and I now buy from the little scouts that come to our door.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:07 PM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times
And what happens if you don't sell that amount?

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 10-24-2013 at 03:33 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 02:31 PM

95 posts, read 394,170 times
Small town, few packs. All the packs have the same requirement per scout. Some sell upward of $2,000 during that month because of their parents. I printed out a street map and we only do a few blocks a day and cross them off so we don't cover the same houses each day---that would be rude. I will normally buy candy bars or just make a donation when kids come around but nothing over $5. My son would go broke if I let him buy from everyone who comes by.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:30 PM

384 posts, read 594,365 times
Write a check to the school, and avoid the companies that rob a 55% commission from your children's hard work. If some school and/or organization tells you to sell X amount of items or be kicked out, tell them to take a hike and find another age-appropriate activity that does not foister useless junk sales to fund activities.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:33 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I never let my kids participate in fundraisers for the school or PTA. My child is not a door-to-door salesman, I don't think it's safe to expect her to become one, and I don't have relatives or coworkers who are able to contribute. The school is welcome to ask me for money, and if I feel like it's a worthy cause, I will donate.

It's a little different when it's fundraising for an activity they participate in, but $650 for the scouts seems really difficult. Maybe you could ask some businesses to donate? Since the popcorn is a gift for donation, then the business should be able to write off the donation.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:34 PM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Crud... I edited when I wanted to re-ask...

what happens when you don't sell that amount?
I would think that plenty can't, in your small town.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:43 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHitchhiker View Post
He HAS to sell $650 in popcorn sales for his pack. That's a requirement.
That just isn't true. Some kids sell K$5, and some sell none. That's the way it goes. If he wants the swag, then yes, he has to sell a certain amount.

The best experience we have had is visiting retirement and seniors centers. Most of the people there were delighted to have a bit of company, and just enjoyed chatting with my son. Some bought, and some gave small cash donations, and it was a great experience for him too.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:53 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That just isn't true. Some kids sell K$5, and some sell none. That's the way it goes. If he wants the swag, then yes, he has to sell a certain amount.

The best experience we have had is visiting retirement and seniors centers. Most of the people there were delighted to have a bit of company, and just enjoyed chatting with my son. Some bought, and some gave small cash donations, and it was a great experience for him too.
What a great idea!

Old 10-24-2013, 04:58 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Recognizing that the organization gets little of the funds, I write a check to the organization and throw the fundraising stuff in the trash. Kids around here are not recommended to go door to door. Not considered safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting