Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:03 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

Our middle boy, at not quite 13, was the deciding vote in purchasing our current house. He loved the property, more than we liked the house. Our last two moves were corporate relos, and yes, we brought the kids along while searching for houses. They weren't disruptive, and since the moves meant a major change in their lives too, bringing them and giving them a voice let them know we recognized that fact.

I stopped cooking meals they weren't crazy about a long time ago. I see no point in making something nobody wants to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 09:40 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Once, when we were going to buy a new car, we decided to have a secret ballot with our 2 teenage children. Turns our it was unanimous. Blue, so blue it was.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:51 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
I should think bringing them along and asking their opinions will help to teach them about making major decisions later in life. Also living with the decisions they make.

They may say the like the new house, you move in, and later the kids find something they don't like. You can point out that they did not mention that before moving in, must live with it, etc...

Old 10-27-2013, 06:26 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
I'll never forget buying my first house (had no children yet); and my nephew was there probably around middle school aged. He was very, very smart and quiet. I was having trouble deciding between two houses and he gave me a very thoughtful list of why he thought one was better than the other. Ha! I ended up buying that house and loooved it.

When I moved when my son was young 4 to 6, he had NO say; but I would let him see the house before I bought it so he could get excited about it.

Our last move, he was a sophomore in high school and I really did value his opinion. He looked up all the school districts and we would discuss which one was best . . . it was a family discussion. Ultimately, I'm the only one working so . . but still I want to hear what he has to say.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaymcgee View Post
This is inspired by the thread on kids at real estate showings:
Bringing kids to showings

But it got me thinking... When I said that I couldn't fathom NOT bringing my kids to showings, that, to me, was a practical observation. My kids are little, so their opinions mean squat, really, especially in a major financial decision...but many that posted, particularly those against the notion, felt that "bringing your kids" and "asking their opinions" meant the same thing as "they get a say." So this is related to that, but I felt more appropriate for Parenting than Real Estate.

How much say do your kids get? If they hated a house you wanted to buy, would you buy it? What about if they hated their (top-notch) school? What about if they hate, oh, dinner? Pure curiosity, but ages of children, and possibly ages of parents, would be interesting addendums...
I haven't had to move to another house, if I did, I'd probably let them see it and listen to their opinions. However if I'm the one who is paying all the mortgage, it's my house. I'd listen to them about school -- if they really hated school, I would think they might be getting bullied in some way.

Dinner is easy, if they don't like what is served, they can make themselves a peanut butter sandwich or bowl of cereal. I've let my kids pick out our next dog at the humane society (and so ended up with 2 new dogs), they can pick out their own clothes but not how much I'll spend on them.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:37 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
The last time we moved my oldest was only about 12 months old. I brought her with me to showings just because it was easiest for me to do that rather than find child care. Of course she didn't have any kind of "say", being that she was just a baby, but a lot of our thoughts on what we liked were about what we wanted for our kids.

My kids are now 4 and 7, and I don't think they would have much say in if/when/where we moved at this point. Issues like where they would go to school, where they would play, the layout of the house, etc are certainly huge issues that concern them, but I would make the call. Like someone else said, maybe I would have them see the house we chose to help them get excited for it. Now, if we end up moving when they are more like 9 and 12, then maybe I would give them more input, who knows.

I do remember looking at houses with my parents when I was about 10. I remember telling them what I liked and didn't like about different ones. I liked feeling like I had input, though whether I actually did or not I don't know. I remember that they didn't pick the house that I preferred anyway.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:21 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
It depends. Buying a house is about the people who pay for the house. Of course I would keep my children in mind and buy a house that suited our family but my 7 & 9yr old don't get to choose it.

Dinner? I have a kid who doesn't eat much and who is too thin, so yes I Cooke things he will eat or I offer scrambled eggs while the rest of us eat.

School? Depends on the kid. My 7yr old will be in his small private school because that's what he needs. However if my daughter wanted to attend our local public school I'd be happy to consider it for her if she had a good reason for making the change.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:03 PM

241 posts, read 543,479 times
I clearly remember going to lots of showings as a 9-year old. I enjoyed the process; it seemed like a family adventure. I even remembering discovering an open can of paint and recent paint job in one basement that spurred some questions by my parents and led to the realization that the sellers were trying to cover up a recent water leak. So the real estate agent probably wasn't too happy to have me along in that case. Kids can be pretty observant.

Seriously, though, since families live in a house together it seems entirely reasonable to let the children at least see the place they might be moving to. I think that having kids involved in the process also probably makes the move much easier for them. I find the posts casting this in terms of only involving those "who pay the mortgage" kind of weird. Are we to reduce most of our family interactions to monetary terms? The kids don't pay for much in most families, but they still have thoughts and opinions.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:13 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
My son should be a politician. Lol

Old 10-28-2013, 04:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
little to none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting